Kissing: why is it still a social taboo?

headshotcatcher

Feb 27, 2009
LostTimeLady said:
Recently it's struck me as odd the number of people who find other people kissing in public, so called PDA (public displays of affection), inappropriate or even so much as offensive.

The reason I find it odd is the amount of sexualisation that we're exposed to everyday people no longer bat an eyelid at half naked pictures on the cover of magazines, but genuine expression of love is still frowned upon. (Not that I?m condoning the sexualisation of society by any means!).

I personally used to have a problem with public kissing, that is when I was younger, but these days I think that kissing is an innocent, if sometimes passionate, expression of love and people can kiss if they want to.

So I ask you, fellow Escapists, do you think it's ok to kiss in public places and would you kiss someone you liked/loved publicly?

Discuss!

P.S. sorry moderators, I've not clue why this has posted twice and made two threads!
They mean the kind who sit in the halls eating eachothers faces for hours on end, just a kiss isn't frowned upon, attention whoring is.

Azmael Silverlance

Pirate Warlord!
Oct 20, 2009
Wth kissing a taboo?
You probably live in china or korea or something . . . usually asians are very reserved about that kind of thing. Very shy kill me i dont know why -_-`
But beyond that i`ve never seen/heard ppl complainign about it. There certain situations where its just not polite to make out....but no i wouldnt say its a taboo

jaketaz

Oct 11, 2010
It's not a social taboo, except when it's between same sex couples. I don't know why you started this thread.

LostTimeLady

Dec 17, 2009
Jonluw said:
LostTimeLady said:
Jonluw said:
LostTimeLady said:
Recently it's struck me as odd the number of people who find other people kissing in public, so called PDA (public displays of affection), inappropriate or even so much as offensive.

The reason I find it odd is the amount of sexualisation that we're exposed to everyday people no longer bat an eyelid at half naked pictures on the cover of magazines, but genuine expression of love is still frowned upon. (Not that I?m condoning the sexualisation of society by any means!).

I personally used to have a problem with public kissing, that is when I was younger, but these days I think that kissing is an innocent, if sometimes passionate, expression of love and people can kiss if they want to.

So I ask you, fellow Escapists, do you think it's ok to kiss in public places and would you kiss someone you liked/loved publicly?

Discuss!

P.S. sorry moderators, I've not clue why this has posted twice and made two threads!
You've double posted the thread. You might want to edit this thread away, or get a mod to remove it.
It's been sorted, yay! No idea how it happened but never mind. Ta for the head's up!
You know, I was actually going to post an edit to my original message to explain and apologize for that I missed that last P.S. of yours; however, the thread was already locked when I tried to...

Edit: Whut... I was sure I'd made my initial comment in the other thread.
They've done some clever mod stuff and murged the threads I think. No need to apologize for missing the PS by the way, it's fine. :)

OliverTwist72

Nov 22, 2010
I understand no making out in public because no one wants to really see that but a kiss shouldn't be too big of a problem. My last girlfriend always wanted to make out with me at the bar but when we were in line at the grocery store or something like that and I just wanted a peck she said not in public.

Made no sense to me.

Karlaxx

Oct 26, 2009
Kissing itself is fine by me, but I would rather not watch other people do it; it makes me uncomfortable, and their actions are conflicting with my right to be in a public space and conduct my business.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
LostTimeLady said:
Jonluw said:
LostTimeLady said:
Jonluw said:
LostTimeLady said:

Discuss!

You've double posted the thread. You might want to edit this thread away, or get a mod to remove it.
It's been sorted, yay! No idea how it happened but never mind. Ta for the head's up!
You know, I was actually going to post an edit to my original message to explain and apologize for that I missed that last P.S. of yours; however, the thread was already locked when I tried to...

Edit: Whut... I was sure I'd made my initial comment in the other thread.
They've done some clever mod stuff and murged the threads I think. No need to apologize for missing the PS by the way, it's fine. :)
Ooh... Funky. I've never seen anything like that before.

DuctTapeJedi

Nov 2, 2010
I don't care about a quick kiss, but back when I was a cashier, it got really hard to give people their change as they were clearing second base.

WOPR

Aug 18, 2010
LostTimeLady said:

Discuss!

We hate it because we're jealous because no matter what we do the girl always goes for the dick headed jock over the nice guy in attempted that she may "change him"

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Rednog said:
The only kissing I really mind in public are those that become more extended periods of face sucking or make out sessions. A simple kiss is fine, but it becomes somewhat awkward for those around when you take it a tiny bit further.
Ninnnjaaaaaaa'd!

HTID Raver

Jan 7, 2010
Its fine if its a small little kiss as if greeting someone or just smooch to your lover (lul) , but if your pretty much making out public out then its considered rude and personaly i am one of those people.

its even worse if its two fat, pimply, teens.

WOPR

Aug 18, 2010
headshotcatcher said:
LostTimeLady said:

Discuss!

They mean the kind who sit in the halls eating eachothers faces for hours on end, just a kiss isn't frowned upon, attention whoring is.
apply my above comment to what he said

just a kiss I don't mind at all

RyanBishop

Apr 28, 2010
Hah, extremely amusing to read all of the messages saying "this is fine and this is not". Guys, grow a pair, find a girl, try it. Then judge.

Honestly, what's wrong with kissing? Even making out? It's not like people are providing a sexual display for those around. That's what most modern ads are for! =)

Wapox

Feb 4, 2010
it's because they NEVER STOP.... it just goes on and on and on and on....

btw I don't hate it... it's just what I hear everywhere

katsumoto03

Feb 24, 2010
PayJ567 said:
I think it's disgusting. Young'uns of today are all whores sluts and bitches. They need to learn to keep in it their pants and wearing nothing but grey jumpers and baggy trousers.

This discribes 95% of my school's student body and it pisses me the hell off.

Zerazar

Aug 5, 2010
Terminate421 said:
Anyone who finds kissing offensive needs to die. They honestly are trying to censor one of the most human acts of love, its tied with Hugging or high fives in terms of social interactions. If people feel Taboo about it, they ARE NOT human. Fact.
You're not a very good person, are you?

As for my opinion on the topic, I mostly dislike it because I'm not in a relationship myself and I wish I was. But even then I think couples are in their right to make out, I still really wish they wouldn't.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
Nickolai77 said:
Kaleion said:
Is it really like that where you live? Because here in Mexico most people kiss when they say hi and one is a man and the other a woman even if they have no relationship other than being friends or even relatives, so I think it is pretty much accepted here in Mexico, I mean sure if people are giving it a little tongue in public most people will give you the look (yo know what I'm talking about) but a normal kiss and nobody pays attention.
When Mexians kiss, is it on the cheek or the lips? In Western countries relatives and close friends of the opposite sex may lightly peck one another on the cheek.

On topic, as everyone has said:
Light peck on the lips: Fine
Tonsil Wrestling: Get a room.
Well when you're just saying hello in the cheeks but if it's a couple it can be in the lips and most people seem fine if it's not too long about 5 or six seconds I'd say.

Apr 24, 2008
Quick pecks are fine, but I still don't really want to see them.

That's the thing, it's not nice to see. That's why alot of people see frenching in public as rude...it's at least inconsiderate.

I'm not saying it shouldn't happen, it's fine for opinion to be split on the matter.