Kneel Before Zog

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Kneel Before Zog

Meet "Bad Lieutenant"'s very, very good director.

Read Full Article

crotalidian

and Now My Watch Begins
Sep 8, 2009
Caught some of Grizzly man on Discovery Channel. there is an amazing scene where Tim is trying to do an end of season sign off to a camera. Its shot 4 or 5 times with varying degrees of hysteria and insanity with a calm narration between talking of his likely feelings and mindset.

now I should probably see some of his other work too

Thanks Bob

Herr Wozzeck

Oct 23, 2009
Looks like I'll have to check this guy's films out then. I might approach Woyzeck with a little trepidation given that I'm much more familiar with Alban Berg's operatic treatment of the same subject to the point that I might be disturbed by another take on it, but if Kinski had that kind of relationship with Herzog, it might be worth a look. I shall see eventually.

Thankfully, I've got my shiny new Netflix account to help with that, so now that will be some more things to add to my queue. Thanks for the recommendations! :D

tscook

Aug 9, 2009
also worth checking out are Strozek and Even Dwarfs Started Small, if only for a mindfuck

TwistedEllipses

Nov 18, 2008
I think I might have seen footage of the pot-shot, was he being interviewed by Mark Kermode at the time?

tendo82

Uncanny Valley Cave Dweller
Nov 30, 2007
Werner Herzog is an idol of mine. One of the giants of cinema. He may not have the media stature of some other directors, but I think his body of work will continue to rise in stature as the years go on. Glad to see him get the shout out from Movie Bob.

Other films of his I recommend:

Heart of Glass: An eerie little film.
Lessons of Darkness: Filmed shortly after the first Iraq war, it has stunning footage of the oil wells burning.
Encounters At The End Of The World: A look at the residents of Antartica's McMurdo station and the surrounding environs.

The other thing I recommend is listening to his director's commentaries whenever possible. Herzog's second greatest talent, after movie making, is talking about his own movies in a droll German accent. His insights are interesting and the tales of making the film hyperbolic.

Also, this is a really great series of columns you've got going.

RebelRising

Jan 5, 2008
I've seen only Nosferatu: The Vampyre and, just last weekend, Stroszek. It's not flawless cinema, but I Ireally admire his cinematography, and his work with Klaus Kinski is fantastic.

Also, Popol Vuh did great scores for some of his movies.

Snuggle

Apr 28, 2009
tendo82 said:
Encounters At The End Of The World: A look at the residents of Antartica's McMurdo station and the surrounding environs.
I second that! An absolutely stunning film!

Phoenix Arrow

Sep 3, 2008
Stroszek and The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser are awesome films.
Trivia: the last thing Ian Curtis of Joy Division did before hanging himself was watch Stroszek... it wasn't because of the film.

dreamtime

Jan 10, 2009
WanderFreak said:
Am I the only one (who's seen it, that is) who was utterly annihilated by The Wild Blue Yonder?

I mean all it is is stock footage with some on screen rambling by Brad Dourif as an "alien" but Herzog takes it, throws in some utterly incredible music, and someone makes a crazy mindfuck of a movie that's one of the best I've ever seen.
It is easily one of the most inspiring movies I have ever seen. The fact that you can make a science fiction-movie out of one actor and stock footage is truly incredible. It is a perfect example of how movie-experiences rely on suspension of disbelief, and if you've got vision and artistic integrity, the length at which people will accept the illusion and the intrinsic logic of a movie can be pushed pretty far.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
tendo82 said:
Werner Herzog is an idol of mine. One of the giants of cinema. He may not have the media stature of some other directors, but I think his body of work will continue to rise in stature as the years go on. Glad to see him get the shout out from Movie Bob.

Other films of his I recommend:

Heart of Glass: An eerie little film.
Lessons of Darkness: Filmed shortly after the first Iraq war, it has stunning footage of the oil wells burning.

The other thing I recommend is listening to his director's commentaries whenever possible. Herzog's second greatest talent, after movie making, is talking about his own movies in a droll German accent. His insights are interesting and the tales of making the film hyperbolic.

Also, this is a really great series of columns you've got going.
Totally agree. Oftentimes I enjoy the commentaries just as much as the movies. You can tell the guy is honest. What he says is exactly what he feels.

Good thing I can understand German so I can watch the original commentaries which are even better. The conversations of him and his camera men and staff are also hilarious.