Knights of Pen & Paper Goes 16-Bit in New Sequel

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Knights of Pen & Paper Goes 16-Bit in New Sequel

Paradox Interactive has announced a sequel to Knights of Pen & Paper featuring upgraded visuals, looting and crafting options and a revamped combat system.

For many, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/paradox%20interactive?os=paradox+interactive>Paradox Interactive's <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124676-Knights-of-Pen-and-Paper-Wants-To-Take-You-To-RPG-Heaven>Knights of Pen & Paper was one of the most delightful little treats to come out of gaming in recent years. Putting players in control of both a dungeon master and a player party, it provided a unique JRPG-flavored recreation of tabletop RPGs filled to the brim with classic mechanics and tons of amusing, referential humor. While a bit grindy at times, it was a fun game that did a good job of meshing mediums and won over a lot of gamers from various camps.

Fans of the original will likely be happy to learn that Paradox has recently announced a new sequel to that <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/knights%20of%20pen%20and%20paper?os=knights+of+pen+and+paper>original game. Unsurprisingly dubbed Knights of Pen & Paper 2, the new title will feature a visual upgrade ("simulated" 16-bit visuals as opposed to 8-bit), additional races and classes and an "overhauled" combat system including crafting and loot options, "dynamically generated dungeons" and new saving throws. The developers have also promised "entirely too many gaming and pop culture jokes," something we honestly can't wait for.

[gallery=3879]

According to Paradox's announcement, the new game will be releasing for PC, iOS and Android later this year on May 14th. That being the case, the company has already confirmed that it will be showing it off this week at the Game Developer's Conference. "We're going to be showing off the game in person this week at GDC," said CEO Fredrik Wester. "I wanted to reveal it during the DICE conference, but nobody agreed with me." To coincide with the game's announcement, Paradox has also released a new teaser trailer spoofing The Lord of the Rings films. Check it out and let us know what you hope to see in the new game when it released this May.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
I remember enjoying it on my phone. On PC, I imagine that some of the lustre fades, especially since most of the quests involved doing the same fights continuously, but it's a nice enough concept that has room to evolve with a better story and more varied combat.

This looks like it might scratch that latter itch, so perhaps I will give this a whirl. Either way, it's nice to see Paradox continuously funding projects like this. It gives me some hope in comparison to what AAAs seem to be doing :p

Davroth

The shadow remains cast!
Apr 27, 2011
It looks pretty, but my problem is that the first part started to bore me rather early on... it would have to do things a lot better for me to be willing to give the sequel a chance.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Played the original on my phone. Neat little idea but found it got very repetitive and grindy quite quickly. Some improvements to combat variety would help a lot.

Baralak

Dec 9, 2009
I'm still waiting on Chroma Squad to release, from the same devs... It's *how many months* overdue? It's going on over a year, and I backed it on Kickstarter.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
I quite enjoyed the first one but I got to the stage where the devs were appearing as characters in the game and kind of lost interest. Might try and playthrough again, I do like the basic premise.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Feels less '16 bit' and more 'vga'.

I know that sounds like a weird distinction, but if you were around at that time and played both PC and console games, you'd probably understand what I mean.

Demagogue

Sperm Alien
Mar 26, 2009
played the original on steam actually, fun little game but as others have said it got repetitive... so I think I'll give this one a little time and watch some let's plays first.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
I want this in and around my face.

Seriously, KoP&P was a lovely game. Sure, a bit repetitive, but it brought enough charm and good fun to make it worthwhile. Happy to see it getting a sequel and even happier to see they aren't just retreading the same old.

ProtoChimp

Feb 8, 2010
I liked the first one, but Christ does the final stretch of the game kill itself. I went from playing it religiously to only ever pulling out my phone and playing one battle at a time when I was insanely bored and wanted any kind of distraction. So hopefully they fix that.

Also it wasn't funny. Ever. Not once. Every joke was bad-no awful. Awful and cringe worthy.