Knockout City Impressions - Overwatch your balls.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
The best way I can describe Knockout City is as a hero dodgeballer game. Like a hero shooter, except dodgeball instead of guns. Team deathmatch dodgeball taking place in wacky arenas that wouldn't be out of place in a Tony Hawk Pro Skater.

And as much as i want to be able to express the details of the game, I find it kind of difficult because how can I glam up Dodgeball really?

Okay so you have different throwing techniques which all have different impacts on your opponents. Charge shots, quick shots, trick shots, all kinds of throws that do different things making them more of a challenge to dodge. Every player needs two hits to be knocked out of the game, and it plays like a team Deathmatch otherwise. When everyone on a team is knocked out, the game is over.

The most impressive thing about it is the wonderful style of it all. It's colorful and the sound design is excellent, particular getting blasted in the face by a rubber ball makes the comical "dink" sound that we've all heard in middle school growing up. This is one of those games that glams up a fairly basic core concept in a fun way.

There are ultimate moves, that involve your character becoming the ball for one of your team-mates and they THROW YOU at the enemy. I mean it's crazy, it's over-the-top, and it is the only way that a dodgeball game could ever exist in video game format.

At it's core it is fun, however i don't think it will have much lasting power because once you get over the style and the funny animations it is still just dodgeball at the end of the day. Also since it's an EA game there are a bunch of microtransactions in it so....you know....EA does like ruining a good time after all.

It's a fairly cheap buy-in if you are looking for a short lived time-waster though.