Kojima On Nintendo Switch: "It's The Gamer's Dream"

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Kojima On Nintendo Switch: "It's The Gamer's Dream"

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/987/987347.jpg
Legendary game developer Hideo Kojima says that the Switch's hybrid nature is the precursor to true cloud gaming.

At RTX Sydney this weekend, legendary video game developer Hideo Kojima spoke to IGN [http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/02/04/hideo-kojima-shares-his-thoughts-on-nintendo-switch] about his thoughts on the Nintendo Switch. The good news is that the Metal Gear Solid developer had nothing but praise for Nintendo's new machine, saying that "the fact you can play something at home and take it outside," is the "gamer's dream".

He is particularly a fan of the console's hybrid nature. The system combines at-home and on-the-go elements, which is not unlike Kojima's own "Transfarring" concept for moving data between PlayStation Vita and PlayStation 3. "I believe [Switch] is an extension of that idea," he said. "The fact you can play something at home and take it outside, this is the gamer's dream. The Switch is an evolution of that."

Kojima added that he thinks cloud technology will eventually be the future of gaming, though he admits that the technology isn't quite there yet. "It's further behind right now than I think where people thought it would be at this point, but I think it will go there, and when the infrastructure is ready, you'll be able to play everything, on every device, anywhere. The Switch is the predecessor to this step."

Kojima is currently working on PS4 exclusive Death Stranding [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/death%20stranding]. Despite his praise for the Switch, he neglected to comment on whether his studio, Kojima Productions, would be developing any titles for the system.

Source: IGN [http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/02/04/hideo-kojima-shares-his-thoughts-on-nintendo-switch]

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
So how many games will you be developing for the Gamers Dream Kojima?

Seems to be a reoccurring theme for Nintendo systems; developers praise them and then develop maybe a game for it before abandoning it forever. I suppose Kojima can break that cycle but talk is cheap.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
I went to a pre-launch event and tried the Switch yesterday. It was fun, but I wouldn't go so far as to call it the gamer's dream.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Kojima must be smoking some good shit nowadays if he believes the switch will be more successfull then the Wii U

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Karadalis said:
Kojima must be smoking some good shit nowadays if he believes the switch will be more successfull then the Wii U
I actually think it will be more successfull than the WiiU
The WiiU did so poorly it isn't much of a challenge?

On Topic:
I doubt many will agree with what he is saying. I understand the part about being able to play any game anywhere, but "a gamers dream" would pretty much require the thing to be able to do everything gaming related... and maybe a little more.

Timedraven 117

Jan 5, 2011
Guffe said:
I doubt many will agree with what he is saying. I understand the part about being able to play any game anywhere, but "a gamers dream" would pretty much require the thing to be able to do everything gaming related... and maybe a little more.
Yeah, and that little more would probably not be shown at a family friendly Expo.

maybe the AEE ;)

Anyways, on topic, like others have said, it maybe the gamer's dream, but hardware doesn't matter, the software is where it will all come down to, all the meat of the system is there, and if there's no good games on it, then there's no good reason to buy it.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Cloud gaming isn't my idea of a gaming dream. I want games to be able to fully function offline. With the obvious exception of online multiplayer of course.

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
Being able to start playing at home and then taking it with you.. is a gamer's dream. Specifically gamers below the age of 14 because above that, if you have a reason to leave your house your attention is going to be focused on that reason.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Well, I wholeheartedly agree with him on it being, in theory, the gamer's dream. The idea is fantastic.

The problem is the execution. There is so many small and big things that Nintendo decided to do wrong that it killed the insane amount of hype I had.

Randomosity

Nov 19, 2009
MonsterCrit said:
Being able to start playing at home and then taking it with you.. is a gamer's dream. Specifically gamers below the age of 14 because above that, if you have a reason to leave your house your attention is going to be focused on that reason.
I respectfully disagree. There are plenty of times as an adult that I would play games. Lunch break at work, waiting room in the doctor's office, waiting for my flight at an airport, riding said flight, in between obligations (In my own personal case, in the time between my college classes and my work shift.)

Having access to games on the go is a nice thing to have. Plenty of people play games on the go as is. Smart phones and tablets are widely used for this, not to mention the noteworthy success of both the DS and 3DS.

nickpy

Oct 9, 2010
Adam Jensen said:
Cloud gaming isn't my idea of a gaming dream. I want games to be able to fully function offline. With the obvious exception of online multiplayer of course.
This. So much this. I don't understand why the industry seems to think that cloud gaming is not only desirable but inevitable. Firstly, unless they start putting data centres serving these games in every major population centre we'll never get the lag down to acceptable levels for the majority of subscribers. Secondly, it means the publisher has total control over what we can and can't do and we'll have to keep paying a sub........

wait. I see why they want it so bad now.

In principle, if they can get it to work well I have no problem with Cloud Gaming as an option, but being the only option would be, in my opinion, a consumer nightmare not a gamer dream.

Sep 24, 2008
Karadalis said:
The fact that you can not find a Switch to prepurchase now and it's been that way for weeks pretty much shows a lot more success than the Wii U. Where it did have a lot of people just wondering why does the Wii need this tablet thing.

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
nickpy said:
Adam Jensen said:
This. So much this. I don't understand why the industry seems to think that cloud gaming is not only desirable but inevitable.
Because it's tehir holy grail. An environment where you the consumer have nothing to keep in exchange for the purchase. An environment where they control what and how you play the games.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
ObsidianJones said:
Karadalis said:
The fact that you can not find a Switch to prepurchase now and it's been that way for weeks pretty much shows a lot more success than the Wii U.
That's more of a glass half full, half empty situation.
Either the Switch is so popular that it's already sold out or the supply is so meager that it's already sold out.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Cloud gaming won't be viable until internet speeds are universally decent in all parts of the bigger gaming markets.

That and data plans exist.

Fulbert

Jan 15, 2009
I suppose Switch would be a gamer's dream as long as the gamer lives alone or is the only gamer in the family. In that case - yes, I can see them crashing on a couch to play some Zelda or Splatoon and then taking the console out of its docking station to, I dunno, play some more on the way to school or work?
But what if you have a family and you are not the only gamer? You take the Switch outside and your spouse or children or parents get to wait till you come home? I dread to think what my wife would do to me if I did that and deprived her of her Splatoon fix. And it's not like you can easily afford a Switch for each playing family member, like you could with 3DS or Vita - not for the price of a fully-fledged home console. So it will have to stay at home all the time and become little more than just an overpriced underpowered home console with useless portability feature you probably don't want but have to pay for.

Not really my dream.

Recusant

Nov 4, 2014
So a "gamer's dream" is a form of distribution that requires a constant internet connection, is totally reliant on companies keeping the games you want available, is by definition tracking everything you do and play (and, given the amount of data required to stream a game worth playing, tracking where you are), and... oh, wait, I get it. This is just a translation error; they meant to say "gamer's nightmare".