Kojima Productions Might Create More Than Games

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1020/1020263.png

While Kojima Productions is "focusing on game creation at first," the focus may expand to movies and videos.

Things have been moving quickly for Hideo Kojima this week. After months of uncertainty regarding his role with Konami, creating a timed PS4 exclusive title [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/165496-Hideo-Kojima-Reported-to-have-Left-Konami-Creating-New-Studio].

In an interview published today by IGN [http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/12/16/hideo-kojima-talks-new-studio-edgy-playstation-game-and-the-future], Kojima stated that Kojima Productions is open to expanding beyond exclusively creating video games.

"The focus is on digital content, so we could consider movies, animations, anything," Kojima said. "But first I think people expect games from me. That's where I want to put my focus. Once we have an established IP in games, something solid that satisfies people, then we can consider movies and videos."

"I want to create something that's what people expect, but at the same time will have something new that people haven't seen before," Kojima said when asked about the project for PlayStation. For the company's first project, Kojima said "I'm thinking smaller-scale, not too many people, and focusing on game creation at first."

"I've been in this industry for 30 years. I turned 52 this year. I'm getting to a new start, and I am very confident," Kojima stated. "I'll keep creating games until the day I die. Rest assured I'm making more games, something more fun, something you haven't seen, and it would be great if I could count on the fans to support me in this."

Kojima Productions will also feature former Metal Gear Solid artist Yoji Shinkawa and producer Kenichiro Imaizumi. Both will fill senior roles at the company.

[Source: IGN [http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/12/16/hideo-kojima-talks-new-studio-edgy-playstation-game-and-the-future]]

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
Ok Kojima, I know it's liberating finally getting the leash off, but don't go running into traffic. Don't Go chasing waterfalls man, just stick to the rivers and the lakes that you're use to. You kind of need to reestablish yourself with some new IPs or something first, and maybe make a few good games before you start branching off again.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
Normally I would think no way this is dumb. Kojima tho? Fuck this makes so much sense the guy is nuts about movies and his work is amazing. I eagerly await to see what he makes.

figment of mind

Jun 26, 2008
dragongit said:
Ok Kojima, I know it's liberating finally getting the leash off, but don't go running into traffic. Don't Go chasing waterfalls man, just stick to the rivers and the lakes that you're use to. You kind of need to reestablish yourself with some new IPs or something first, and maybe make a few good games before you start branching off again.
...I believe that he said that in the article.

Lizzy Finnegan said:

"But first I think people expect games from me. That's where I want to put my focus. Once we have an established IP in games, something solid that satisfies people, then we can consider movies and videos."

OT: This honestly seems logical to me, especially considering the cutscene length in mgs4. Either way, i hope it goes well for him. Besides, maybe it will help him to not create such infamously long cutscene.

Fulbert

Jan 15, 2009
More than games, you say? Movies and animations, you say? How about, I dunno, themed pachinko machines, maybe?;-)

SKBPinkie

Oct 6, 2013
Fulbert said:
More than games, you say? Movies and animations, you say? How about, I dunno, themed pachinko machines, maybe?;-)
Too soon, man.

OT: Always was interested in how wacky this guy's stories are. My only problem with his games were the gameplay. So glad to hear he has something in mind for people who are into the crazy lore and characters, but not in the games.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
well your games already are halfway there to being animation movies, so you may as well go full way, Kojima.

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
Ehhhhhh, Kojima's best work has been in the gameplay, not in the cut scenes. He's also not a really great director or writer from what I've seen, but I'd be happy to be surprised.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Gee, who knew Kojima had an ambition to create movies?

...Aside from anyone who sat through Metal Gear Solid 4, of course.

But, seriously, I wish him well, and look forward to seeing what comes of his new efforts.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Does anyone else find Kojima Productions logo creepy? Or is it just me?

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
CaitSeith said:
I think it's perfect and fits Kojima well. Guy knows how to make a great first impression now that he's on his own

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Veldie said:
CaitSeith said:
I think it's perfect and fits Kojima well. Guy knows how to make a great first impression now that he's on his own
In that I agree. I never thought the opposite at all.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
CaitSeith said:
Skulls are creepy in general, so yeah, I'm sure a lot would agree with you.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
CaitSeith said:
Lightknight said:
CaitSeith said:
Skulls are creepy in general, so yeah, I'm sure a lot would agree with you.
To be honest, the first thing I thought of when it came to the new logo was "MSF" from Peace Walker, and I'm certainly not the only one:

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
First thought that came to mind; pachinko machines? But has already been mentioned, damnit! Like the new logo...It feels very familiar, i am sure there is a game that has something similar, laser-life...hm *google taps*...

Ah yes, almost...

It appears angry/lost skulls scowling left into the maw of unimaginable darkness are all in this year.