Kojima Productions Teases Next Game

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Kojima Productions Teases Next Game

It's written in the clouds. Kojima Productions has started their pre-E3 teasing of their next game with mysterious URLs that lead nowhere, and an enigmatic magazine ad that is blatantly built to fuel all sorts of absurd fan speculation.

It's that time of the month again when game companies start teasing their newest titles and fans really start putting that Zoom tool in Photoshop to good use. This time around we have Kojima Productions' newest game, which the studio made some brief allusion to at Hideo Kojima's GDC keynote but only started really teasing in the past couple days.

Yesterday http://www.konami.jp/kojima_pro/next [http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3174185]) that leads to a 404 error on Konami's site. More interesting, though, is this advertisement printed in the pages of major Japanese gaming magazine Famitsu. It has a URL that corroborates the 1UP email, but a date (5/18/09) that's three days after the one sent to 1UP.

More curious is the actual content of the ad, which is a shot of a grassy field underneath a stormy, cloud-filled sky. The most immediate things that come to (my) mind are grass-heavy and forest-filled memories of Metal Gear Solid 3, which would lead me to think that the game is another entry in the life of Big Boss. I'm probably wrong, though.

A closer look at the ad reveals a house on the right, two silhouettes of figures on the left (who could they be?), and of course, those amorphous gray clouds. If you look hard enough at them, you can see everything from a plane, Snake lying down, Hideo Kojima sitting on a duck, Charles Barkey's right knee, and maybe even Raiden. Oh wait. The clouds do look stormy. Perhaps even filled with thunder and lightning? Let me check my Japanese-English dictionary. Yes. "Lightning" in Japanese is "Raiden." This has got to be it.

Mystery solved.

(Image [http://forums.gametrailers.com/thread/first-tease-of-kojima-s-new-pr/809239])

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
I love Kojima so much. He seems just so... Well, its like I want to take a look into his brain. Where does he come up with this stuff?

Sir Ollie

The Emperor's Finest
Jan 14, 2009
Hmmm a Raiden game, I dunno it might work but MGS3 just put me off Raiden knowing he was Volgin's *****.

Poor Snake :(

Yes i know its not Raiden

Goldeneye103X2

Jun 29, 2008
Didn't kojima say he'd stop making metal gear.

Oh wait.

He confirmed that Metal gear solid 5 was being made, and it had a new hero.

Monkfish Acc.

May 7, 2008
I see a chef with a funny arm.
Is Konami making a game about a chef with a funny arm?
Because I really hope they are.

Jul 9, 2008
Considering that I may have been the only person on the face of the earth who didn't hate Raiden in MGS2, I can safely say that Keane's interpretation sounds cool.

new_age_reject

Lives in dactylic hexameter.
Dec 28, 2008
Monkfish Acc. said:
I see a chef with a funny arm.
Is Konami making a game about a chef with a funny arm?
Because I really hope they are.
Man that would be great!
Better than the stupid Gordon Ramsey game!

roastbeefy

Apr 20, 2009
orannis62 said:
Considering that I may have been the only person on the face of the earth who didn't hate Raiden in MGS2, I can safely say that Keane's interpretation sounds cool.
I also didn't hate Raiden in MGS2. Bet you don't feel as special now, do you?

But yeah, I do want another Raiden game, especially if you can use the sword again.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
OMG OMFG OMG OMGOM OMGFOMGOMF !#%!@#%!#$^15!@% 2#%!

SEE THAT CLOUD IN THE TOP RIGHT?!?!?! IT LOOKS LIKE SOLID SNAKE!#@$ AND IF YOU FLIP IT AROUND AND MOVE IT TO THE OTHER SIDE OF THE AD WITH THE CLOUD THAT LOOKS LIKE ANOTHER FACE AND TURN IN 180 DEGREES IT LOOKS LIKE THE POWER SIGN OF THE 360!~@$!@$!@# AND TAKE TWO OF THE BOTTOM LEAF GRASS AND PUT IT AT THE CENTER, MOVE BOTH 90 DEGREES, THAT FUCKING EQUALS 360 DEGREEES!!#%!@!@$

MGS (maybe 4) IS COMING TO 360!@!#%$!# MGS (maybe 4) IS COMING TO THE FUCKING 360!#%^@#$%@$5

I swear to god if that happens, I'll cry myself to sleep. That's not to say I'd care if this was another MGS game and if it did go to 360, but I swear to god if this happens I will cry...

Still, I can't freakin' wait! Who knows what Krazy Kojima will think up of?

songnar

Modulator
Oct 26, 2008
Another thing to consider... Look closely at the face in the right. Snake's bandanna seems a little low, over his eyes even. Snake in a lightning storm... Well, Solid Snake is still alive at the end of part 4, perhaps it's up to Raiden to end him for some unknown reason.