Kojima Shoots Down Zone Of The Enders Sequel

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Kojima Shoots Down Zone Of The Enders Sequel

Problems with the HD Collection take precedence, says Hideo Kojima.

Last year Hideo Kojima promised fans he'd come up with a Zone of the Enders 3 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117462-Kojima-Finally-Announces-a-New-Zone-of-the-Enders], but this year he's breaking that promise. Kojima made this announcement via his HideoBlog web radio show, and said that problems with mecha combat title Zone of the Enders HD Collection were the root cause of his decision.

The HD Collection just hasn't been living up to fan expectations, Kojima admits. The transition from 30 FPS to 60 was a little too much to handle, and while new players may not have noticed it, old fans accustomed to smooth game play were disappointed. Kojima apologized for this, and said that the game had been entirely re-programmed, with a new, free patch coming out for PS3 users. There's no release date for that PS3 patch, and Xbox 360 fans had better not be hoping for the same treatment, as there won't be a fix for them just yet.

However there are only so many assets to go around, and re-programming the old stuff meant that the team working on the new stuff has been demolished. Kojima wants to take a second look at the series before deciding whether to go ahead, and will be asking fans whether or not they really want to see another Zone of the Enders game before committing resources to the project again.

Source: Siliconera [http://www.siliconera.com/2013/05/02/we-might-have-to-wait-a-little-longer-for-a-zone-of-the-enders-sequel/]

Chessrook44

Legacy
Feb 11, 2009
Country
United States
Am I the only one who always sees that title and instinctively thinks "The Enemy's Gate is Down" if you know what I mean?

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
"I'm sorry, I can't take more of your money. I'm too busy improving what I've already sold you, at no additional cost." Seriously, mad props to Kojima for owning up to this. I can hardly complain about such values.

P.S. Thanks

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Yeah, it's kind of hard to complain about someone owning up to a mistake and taking the time and money to fix it in a world where Sim City and Aliens: Colonial Marines exist. Good on ya, Kojima. Tell you what: you put out that fix, and I'll buy ZOE HD in support of the franchise.

Tombsite

Nov 17, 2012
I can handle a delay (I think), but please please please do not give up on making ZoE3. I am begging on my knees here. Pretty please Mr Kojima.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Wow. You know if Konami hates the Xbox360 that much maybe they shouldn't put out their fucking compilations for it. First there was no patch for Silent Hill HD collection and now none for the Zone of Enders collection. If you don't want to support your games then don't waste our money.

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
Respect son, respect.
I'll buy a new ZoE when it comes out, just do it all to a point where you're happy with it as an artist because you've got my trust on this one.

Lillowh

Oct 22, 2007
FoolKiller said:
Wow. You know if Konami hates the Xbox360 that much maybe they shouldn't put out their fucking compilations for it. First there was no patch for Silent Hill HD collection and now none for the Zone of Enders collection. If you don't want to support your games then don't waste our money.
Ya know, I'm going to guess that they don't actually hate the 360. Or else I don't think they would put the compilations out for them in the first place. As much as I enjoyed my Xbox before I switched to PC gaming, I'm going to guess the blame here lies with Microsoft.

To break down Konami's reasoning for the Silent Hill HD patch not going on to the 360, their statement was that it was due to "technical issues and resources." When it comes to resources, I imagine this is partly due to the fact that the process to get a patch on Xbox is actually pretty costly, and also the different architecture of the PS3 probably means some of the fixes they implemented wouldn't work properly on the 360.

The main issue I think is going on here is Xbox's restriction that is still in place that doesn't allow any content for games to be larger than 2gb. I would imagine if they really had to re-code most of the collection, the patch is probably going to be larger than that limit, which I believe is another one of the reasons they have to not do it.

Now, this may be completely wrong, but I just don't think Konami is not patching the 360 versions completely out of spite. Still pretty annoyed because now I probably will continue to wait on both HD collections until I finally feel like buying a PS3, but at least I still have my PS2 copies. If only they would release the collection on PC...

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Lillowh said:
FoolKiller said:
Ya know, I'm going to guess that they don't actually hate the 360. Or else I don't think they would put the compilations out for them in the first place. As much as I enjoyed my Xbox before I switched to PC gaming, I'm going to guess the blame here lies with Microsoft.

To break down Konami's reasoning for the Silent Hill HD patch not going on to the 360, their statement was that it was due to "technical issues and resources." When it comes to resources, I imagine this is partly due to the fact that the process to get a patch on Xbox is actually pretty costly, and also the different architecture of the PS3 probably means some of the fixes they implemented wouldn't work properly on the 360.

The main issue I think is going on here is Xbox's restriction that is still in place that doesn't allow any content for games to be larger than 2gb. I would imagine if they really had to re-code most of the collection, the patch is probably going to be larger than that limit, which I believe is another one of the reasons they have to not do it.

Now, this may be completely wrong, but I just don't think Konami is not patching the 360 versions completely out of spite. Still pretty annoyed because now I probably will continue to wait on both HD collections until I finally feel like buying a PS3, but at least I still have my PS2 copies. If only they would release the collection on PC...
I don't accept that though. How did they not realize the issues. Did no one stick one in a machine to see if it would run? And I mean launch machines. I luckily have both systems but also am not pleased about the giant patches required. They should fix the problems and then put them on a disc.