Kojima Wants To Get "Crazy" With iPhone

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008

Hideo Kojima is considering his options for upcoming iPhone and iPod Touch projects, and he says he wants to do something crazy. And when Kojima says crazy, he means crazy.

Now that Metal Gear Solid Touch is out for the iPhone and iPod Touch and he's allegedly free from main Metal Gear Solid directorial duties, Hideo Kojima is taking stock of Apple's all-the-rage super-phone, and he's eager to do more. Something maybe a little more wild than just another shooting gallery game like Touch was. Something, he says, that would be "crazy."

Now, there's Jack Nicholson in The Shining crazy, which is more homicidal than plain crazy, there's Keita Takahashi crazy, which is really weird and apparently hallucinogen-free [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/90557-Noby-Noby-Boy-Creator-Denies-Drug-Use], and then there's Kojima crazy, which, well, just look at the guy, he's sitting on a duck.

So how to get crazy with the iPhone? Considering that Kojima has frequently made playful use of input devices in the MGS games, it seems like the possibilities are limitless. Indeed, Kojima does want to make more use of the iPhone's unique capabilities. Here's his example, as related at an appearance at the Apple Store in San Francisco last week: Let's say you like Coldplay. I won't judge, it's what Kojima said. Now, maybe if you're listening to Coldplay while controlling Snake, he'll fight better. Crazy, right?

That's what Hideo Kojima is imagining for the iPhone. Solid Snake's fighting prowess enhanced by the soothing sounds of Coldplay. God help us all.

[Via The Feed [http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/694367/GDC-2009-Hideo-Kojima-Talks-Metal-Gear-Solid-Touch-and-E3-at-Apple-Store.html]]

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
That is the best picture of Kojima ever.

Just sayin'.
I feel strangely unsettled by it for reasons I can't explain.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
I can't help but wonder if his next project will just be an elaborate fart app.

Doug said:
It's that murderous glare that he's giving the camera.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
hehehheheheheh, eeehhhhhhheheheheehehe, HEHEHehehheheeh, HAHAHAHAHAHAheehehehe, HAHAHAHAHADFHAHAHAAHADAHAHAH

AAAAAAHHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!

I'm sorry, I just find this so amusing. If Kojima says something crazy, he'll definately mean it.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
DeadlyYellow said:
I can't help but wonder if his next project will just be an elaborate fart app.

Doug said:
It's that murderous glare that he's giving the camera.
More like the strange facial expression of the duck, a mix of surprise and ... uh ... let's not go there. Kojima is a god, and my iPod touch, his playground, what's not to like? ;)

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Wow, on one hand I'm excited by the only developer since Noby to try and do something interesting, on the other hand I'm angry because he chose to pick the i-Phone.

I'll rather die than get one of those gimmicky, overpriced pieces of..yea that duck does look pretty intimidated.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
That is the best picture of Kojima ever.

Just sayin'.
I agree, I think he's going to get "crazy" with more than the iPhone... _>

WOOO ON TOPIC: I think he should stay away from the iPhone, it's a plague.

nikosuave

Mar 14, 2009
Saddly the iphone/ipod touch may just be better than the posp(psp). Who knows if they come ups with some creative ways to work with it apple could join into the gaming industry... It will sure be a dark day.

Aardvark Soup

Jul 22, 2008
Why can't he do something crazy with the DS? You know, that one a little less expensive handheld everyone and his dog owns...

Brett Alex

Jul 22, 2008
Aardvark Soup said:
Why can't he do something crazy with the DS? You know, that one a little less expensive handheld everyone and his dog owns...
The man's got a loaded duck... I wouldn't argue with him.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Aardvark Soup said:
Sweet Thor it had to get 13 posts deep before someone said it...

He has a choice of four or so consoles to choose from, and he decides to go crazy on the damned iPhone? Has Miyamoto's protege lost his marbles? Or does he hold some serious contempt for the other two companies?

I won't say stop wasting your time, but stop diverting your efforts to less desired projects Kojima, what the hell?

TheBluesader

Mar 9, 2008
Gormourn said:
What is he doing to that poor duck's head!?!?!
Something crazy, of course.

I say more power to him on the iPhone thing. Because we'll never have wasted enough of our lives struggling through the output of this man's pear-shaped mind. NEVER.

Just ask the duck.

nova18

Feb 2, 2009
HAHAAHA HIDEO.

Im dreading the iPhone becoming successful, then we'll see Apple console in the next gen, the flamewars between Microsoft's fanboys and Apple's, whilst Sony and Nintendo sit on the sidelines casually flipping each other the bird.

Back on topic, I hope he's not serious about the whole music thing...cause I hate Coldplay.

Insomniaku

Jan 31, 2009
Keane Ng said:

Hideo Kojima is considering his options for upcoming iPhone and iPod Touch projects, and he says he wants to do something crazy. And when Kojima says crazy, he means crazy.

Uh-Oh