Kojima's Next Project Is Wide Open

isometry

Mar 17, 2010
For me Kojima is a one hit wonder, that hit being the first Metal Gear Solid. I enjoyed the MGS sequel's about as much the star wars prequels: quite bad on their own, but watchable to a point because I was a fan of MGS1. So for me reading this title evokes the same feeling as "George Lucas's next project wide open."

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Yvl9921 said:
BrotherRool said:
Yvl9921 said:
Wait
Earnest Cavalli said:
Critics and fans alike slammed the game for this lack of interactivity and wondered aloud if series mastermind Hideo Kojima had, and I quote, "gone completely nutbar."
Not only is this EXTREMELY false, as there isnt a score on Metacritic for that game below 80, but YOU, Earnest, reviewed the game yourself at the time, comparing it favorably against Stanley Kubrick's films, and saying "Buy it, rent it, steal it; if you have a PlayStation 3 you simply must own this game."

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/4980-Review-Metal-Gear-Solid-4

Please try to take something for your selective memory. I reviewed the game favorably as well, but I'm not going to try to cover up that truth. We were all wrong on MGS4, don't try to pretend otherwise.
But I disagree with the 'we were wrong part'. Think about it, which is more likely to be your correct opinion, the one you gave immediately after you played the game, or the one you gave a long time after you've played the game and spent the time having your opinion changed by the cultural zeitgeist (which is a horrible use of the word Zeitgeist)
My initial opinion was formed after Chapter 2. My final opinion was formed after Chapter 5. Though if this weren't the case I'd see what you were saying and it's worth thinking about for other games.
So when you reviewed the game favourably, you'd only played the first two chapters? It's not really that long of a game.

But that aside, what put you off so much after chapter 2? Because chapter 3 was one of my favourite chapters, and naturally chapter 5... And chapter 4 appealed to almost everyone who loved Shadow Moses before, I'm just quite interested, we seem to have quite a large difference of opinion

Yvl9921

Our Sweet Prince
Apr 4, 2009
BrotherRool said:
Yvl9921 said:
BrotherRool said:
Yvl9921 said:
Wait
Earnest Cavalli said:
Critics and fans alike slammed the game for this lack of interactivity and wondered aloud if series mastermind Hideo Kojima had, and I quote, "gone completely nutbar."
Not only is this EXTREMELY false, as there isnt a score on Metacritic for that game below 80, but YOU, Earnest, reviewed the game yourself at the time, comparing it favorably against Stanley Kubrick's films, and saying "Buy it, rent it, steal it; if you have a PlayStation 3 you simply must own this game."

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/4980-Review-Metal-Gear-Solid-4

Please try to take something for your selective memory. I reviewed the game favorably as well, but I'm not going to try to cover up that truth. We were all wrong on MGS4, don't try to pretend otherwise.
But I disagree with the 'we were wrong part'. Think about it, which is more likely to be your correct opinion, the one you gave immediately after you played the game, or the one you gave a long time after you've played the game and spent the time having your opinion changed by the cultural zeitgeist (which is a horrible use of the word Zeitgeist)
My initial opinion was formed after Chapter 2. My final opinion was formed after Chapter 5. Though if this weren't the case I'd see what you were saying and it's worth thinking about for other games.
So when you reviewed the game favourably, you'd only played the first two chapters? It's not really that long of a game.

But that aside, what put you off so much after chapter 2? Because chapter 3 was one of my favourite chapters, and naturally chapter 5... And chapter 4 appealed to almost everyone who loved Shadow Moses before, I'm just quite interested, we seem to have quite a large difference of opinion
I dont see how anyone could like Chapter 3. You followed a guy for a while, watched a cutscene, and had an on rails escape. There was pretty much none of the stuff that made the first two chapters great - you know, stealth combat.

I cannot remember Chapter 4 for the life of me. It all got lost behind the ceaseless fanservice to the first game. I should mention that I can never enjoy killing things that aren't human, so the unmanned robots bored me, I think.

By Chapter 5 I was just tired of it and wanted to finish the game, so all the good stuff in it was lost to that disposition.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
EHKOS said:
TheDooD said:
Wasn't Kojima suppose to be working on ZOE3 after Rising
I was about to bring this up. That screenshot does not look like zoe3 :(
....it could just to be to throw us off the trail.
Personally, I'm hoping/praying that isn't an actual screenshot of his new game. I'm still holding out hope for Zone of the Enders 3.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Yvl9921 said:
BrotherRool said:
Yvl9921 said:
BrotherRool said:

I dont see how anyone could like Chapter 3. You followed a guy for a while, watched a cutscene, and had an on rails escape. There was pretty much none of the stuff that made the first two chapters great - you know, stealth combat.

I cannot remember Chapter 4 for the life of me. It all got lost behind the ceaseless fanservice to the first game. I should mention that I can never enjoy killing things that aren't human, so the unmanned robots bored me, I think.

By Chapter 5 I was just tired of it and wanted to finish the game, so all the good stuff in it was lost to that disposition.
So when you said you reviewed the game, were you talking about something in a less than official capacity? Whatever the case, I hope the Escapist dude who actually reviewed the game had played it all the way through, in which case he still wasn't wrong about the game then and is more 'wrong' now.

I loved chapter 3 because it was a huge break from standard gameplay, it had a very noir tone and although it wasn't so much stealth combat, it was very stealth. The questions and problems they asked you to solve were particularly brilliant, like when they arrest the guy you're following, what do you do? Hope it works out for the best or take them out and alert the guy to your presence? And then when he disguises as a guard and you've got to follow him whilst he's dressed as a guard and later distinguish him from the other guards by his habits and whistle. But mainly it was the brilliant atmosphere of the chapter that worked for me, including the on-the-rails part.

I can see why you didn't like fighting the robots, it wasn't a favourite of mine either because there was no easy way to stun them, but the Vamp and Ray boss fights were pretty cool in that chapter. I probably would say that four is the weakest chapter of them all now, although I did love the ending bit of story where Raiden went to superman levels on the badass meter.

It's a shame you were fatigued by five because it really was the best part. Not so much the stealth at the beginning, although it was pretty good, but for the storytelling and bossfights at the end. It still can't get any more style and story for me than that last boss fight between Snake and Liquid, so many clever things going on in the gameplay and it had all the best tones of two men giving it all in their fight against each other/samurai style action.

And the microwave corridor...

Nfritzappa

Apr 1, 2010
who wants to bet this game is the MGS game he spoke of featuring the Boss and the Sorrow during WWII?

(also, I hate how this article talks about MGS4, its my favorite one in the series -.-)

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
I'm not even going to contribute to that whole "MGS4 is not all that" argument. I could easily summon different reviews from many sites and magazines praising the game. I could argue about the depth of the plot and character development and the conclusion of the saga and stuff. But I think we got the point.
Escapist, I am dissapoint, especially since you were one of those reviewers who praised the game. But alright, moving on...

What really shocks/disappoints me is that the screenshot DOES remind me of MGS. Is this supposed to be a sequel? A prequel? No..? Is it a completely different game? if so, why does it remind me of MGS? Is he working on another a-la-MGS game? If yes, what the heck? We know Kojima made MGS a masterpiece, but let's not push it; expand your horizons. If no, then STILL! Expand your horizons! And where's ZoE3?!

A simple screenshot can raise so many questions.