Kojima's Next Project Is Wide Open

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Kojima's Next Project Is Wide Open

Metal Gear Solid creator Hideo Kojima hopes to create an expansive, open world with his next game.

Remember Metal Gear Solid 4? Remember how little of that game featured actual gameplay? The whole thing was essentially a CGI film starring a gray moustache voiced by David Hayter. Critics and fans alike slammed the game for this lack of interactivity and wondered aloud if series mastermind Hideo Kojima had, and I quote, "gone completely nutbar."

Perhaps sensing this mild outrage, Kojima has revealed that his next project is far less linear.

"The kind of game I'm making is some game that has a very wide entrance, a very open entrance," Kojima said in a recent CNN interview. "Rather than making something very cinematic, [I plan to] make something very free."

This mysterious game, known only as "Project Ogre," is in the very, very early stages, so any actual solid information on the title is scarce at best. Kojima did recently drop the above image from the in-development title via his Twitter account [https://twitter.com/#!/Kojima_Hideo/status/147594757726683136], but aside from providing hints that the title features more or less modern battlefields, it does little to shed light on the mysterious game.

Even more interesting though is the other claim Kojima made to CNN. Via translator, the developer said that players will still be finding new things to do in the title after 100 hours of play.

Whether that means actual gameplay elements or Kojima's trademark scenery quirks -- melting ice in the Big Shell lounge, anyone? -- is up for debate, but it does seem as if the man is determined to branch out to a more open, sandbox-esque style of game development.

What exactly this means for the future of Solid Snake remains to be seen, though it seems fitting that the unending passage of time and growth of technology should eventually leave the character behind. Kojima loves that kind of bleak inevitability, and realistically where do you go with a character after you saddle him with a totally sweet 'stache and force players to watch him engage in melodramatic geriatric fisticuffs with a metaphor for the ruination of Soviet-era communist decadence?

Source: CNN [http://edition.cnn.com/2011/12/20/tech/gaming-gadgets/project-ogre/index.html]

cgentero

Nov 5, 2010
Its nice to see Kojima trying something completely different from has past titles, but I question if he can stick to it.

Fun fact: Metal Gear Solid 3 was originally supposed to be open world.

lobster1077

Feb 7, 2011
Screenshot looks like modern warfare but I suspect this might be the world war two game he was talking about recently. The one with the bosses from MGS3 knocking around Europe breaking hearts, ceasing conflicts and making millions. It sounds pretty incredible.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
It'll be like Skyrim, but instead of infinite dragons, there'll be infinite APCs.

Yvl9921

Our Sweet Prince
Apr 4, 2009
Wait
Earnest Cavalli said:
Critics and fans alike slammed the game for this lack of interactivity and wondered aloud if series mastermind Hideo Kojima had, and I quote, "gone completely nutbar."
Not only is this EXTREMELY false, as there isnt a score on Metacritic for that game below 80, but YOU, Earnest, reviewed the game yourself at the time, comparing it favorably against Stanley Kubrick's films, and saying "Buy it, rent it, steal it; if you have a PlayStation 3 you simply must own this game."

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/4980-Review-Metal-Gear-Solid-4

Please try to take something for your selective memory. I reviewed the game favorably as well, but I'm not going to try to cover up that truth. We were all wrong on MGS4, don't try to pretend otherwise.

SpaceBat

Jul 9, 2011
Yvl9921 said:
We were all wrong on MGS4, don't try to pretend otherwise.
Wrong? I view MGS4 in a generally positive light as well and I still stand by it, even though it's flawed.

Earnest Cavalli said:
Critics and fans alike slammed the game for this lack of interactivity and wondered aloud if series mastermind Hideo Kojima had, and I quote, "gone completely nutbar."
You mean Critics and fans praised it to a ridiculous degree, many of them even claiming that it was one of the best games of all time. It's still a popular game amongst many and the majority of the backlash only started showing up a while after.

Anyway, interested to see how this will unfold.

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
lobster1077 said:
Screenshot looks like modern warfare but I suspect this might be the world war two game he was talking about recently. The one with the bosses from MGS3 knocking around Europe breaking hearts, ceasing conflicts and making millions. It sounds pretty incredible.
Unless he was just showing off a demo picture created from his engine that has nothing to do with the game itself, that ain't World War 2.

From the looks of it, he really liked the first level (or whatever) setting of MGS4.

I'm just throwing this out there, but I have the feeling it's gonna be an open world war where you play as a resistance fighter. That's judging off the picture.

Yvl9921

Our Sweet Prince
Apr 4, 2009
SpaceBat said:
Yvl9921 said:
Wrong? I view MGS4 in a generally positive light as well and I still stand by it, even though it's flawed.

Earnest Cavalli said:
You mean Critics and fans praised it to a ridiculous degree, many of them even claiming that it was one of the best games of all time. It's still a popular game amongst many and the majority of the backlash only started showing up a while after.

The game's first level or two were great and deserving of praise. The rest of the game was just a cutscene with a few points of low quality gameplay.

Dunno what internet you've been to, but the game isn't popular, at all. The delayed response from us haters was because of the game's "Honeymoon period" which drew us in before we realized how bad it was.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Yvl9921 said:
Wait
Earnest Cavalli said:
Not only is this EXTREMELY false, as there isnt a score on Metacritic for that game below 80, but YOU, Earnest, reviewed the game yourself at the time, comparing it favorably against Stanley Kubrick's films, and saying "Buy it, rent it, steal it; if you have a PlayStation 3 you simply must own this game."

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/4980-Review-Metal-Gear-Solid-4

Please try to take something for your selective memory. I reviewed the game favorably as well, but I'm not going to try to cover up that truth. We were all wrong on MGS4, don't try to pretend otherwise.
I've got another thumbs up for not suggesting that fans disliked this game.

But I disagree with the 'we were wrong part'. Think about it, which is more likely to be your correct opinion, the one you gave immediately after you played the game, or the one you gave a long time after you've played the game and spent the time having your opinion changed by the cultural zeitgeist (which is a horrible use of the word Zeitgeist)

Metal Gear Solid 4 is one of my favourite games of all time and whenever I play it again I'm always shocked by how good it is again. Far from having 'no interactivity' we have the microwave corridor and the whole finale (except for the very end) which is pushing the bounds between gameplay and cutscene as has hardly ever been done before. That game was frickin' epic

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
TheDooD said:
Wasn't Kojima suppose to be working on ZOE3 after Rising
I was about to bring this up. That screenshot does not look like zoe3 :(
....it could just to be to throw us off the trail.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Yvl9921 said:
SpaceBat said:
Yvl9921 said:

Earnest Cavalli said:

The game's first level or two were great and deserving of praise. The rest of the game was just a cutscene with a few points of low quality gameplay.

Dunno what internet you've been to, but the game isn't popular, at all. The delayed response from us haters was because of the game's "Honeymoon period" which drew us in before we realized how bad it was.
I don't know what you're going on about. I'm very adamant in my belief that MGS4 was one of the best games that I've ever played. Must have played through it over eight times, and I got the Big Boss medal. Do you have any idea how much you must love the game to get the Big Boss medal?

Too much.

BrotherRool said:
Yvl9921 said:
Wait
Earnest Cavalli said:

I've got another thumbs up for not suggesting that fans disliked this game.

But I disagree with the 'we were wrong part'. Think about it, which is more likely to be your correct opinion, the one you gave immediately after you played the game, or the one you gave a long time after you've played the game and spent the time having your opinion changed by the cultural zeitgeist (which is a horrible use of the word Zeitgeist)

Metal Gear Solid 4 is one of my favourite games of all time and whenever I play it again I'm always shocked by how good it is again. Far from having 'no interactivity' we have the microwave corridor and the whole finale (except for the very end) which is pushing the bounds between gameplay and cutscene as has hardly ever been done before. That game was frickin' epic
The Microwave Corridor was one of my favorite setpieces from any video game ever.

Zom-B

Feb 8, 2011
"Remember Metal Gear Solid 4? Remember how little of that game featured actual gameplay? The whole thing was essentially a CGI film starring a gray moustache voiced by David Hayter. Critics and fans alike slammed the game for this lack of interactivity and wondered aloud if series mastermind Hideo Kojima had, and I quote, "gone completely nutbar."

This is a joke, right? I mean, yeah, there's lots of cut scenes, but "essentially a CGI film"?

Disingenuous at best, outright lie at worst.

Mr.Squishy

Apr 14, 2009
Who's willing to bet we'll get PMCs, spies, ridiculously long character backstories and nanomachines?
I know I am!

Yvl9921

Our Sweet Prince
Apr 4, 2009
BrotherRool said:
Yvl9921 said:
Wait
Earnest Cavalli said:

My initial opinion was formed after Chapter 2. My final opinion was formed after Chapter 5. Though if this weren't the case I'd see what you were saying and it's worth thinking about for other games.

him over there

Dec 17, 2011
I think it looks pretty cool. I'm worried Kojima might misinterpret what people mean by cinematic though. Just hoping no one decides to cut down on actually story or simply do the same with the cutscene excess but make an open world game. Then again Metal gear solid 3's maps were very open ended while still being cinematic so it'll probably be fine.