Konami Announces Metal Gear Survive

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Konami Announces Metal Gear Survive

Konami has announced its first post-Hideo Kojima Metal Gear title, which will be "a new addition to the Metal Gear Solid V experience."

Konami has announced Metal Gear Survive, a co-op stealth game that picks up after the events of Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes, "to an alternate timeline caused by unexplained wormholes forming in the sky." Metal Gear Survive will be the first full Metal Gear to release from a post-Hideo Kojima Konami, and will pit up to four players against "living biological threats." (zombies)

From the press release:

"In a struggle to stay alive on this harsh terrain filled with deadly creatures, soldiers who were previously on Motherbase now must work cooperatively in order to survive. Metal Gear Survive continues the pedigree of Metal Gear Solid V's highly praised gameplay design, with a unique blend of stealth and co-op play mechanics. Players can strategically manage massive threats with the help of four-player online cooperative play. New weaponry will also be introduced to combat charging creatures and lethal environments as well."
"We are delighted to announce another exciting addition to the Metal Gear franchise," said Tomotada Tashiro, European President for Konami Digital Entertainment B.V., in a press release. "Metal Gear Survive will offer a fresh take on the series' famed stealth elements but within a unique co-op setting that is designed for a truly engrossing multi-player experience."

Metal Gear Survive is slated to release on PS4, Xbox One, and PC in 2017.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Yay, finally we can play as randomguy in zombieland online, just what I was missing in my metal gear experience.

MatthewTheDark

The Meme Machine
Jun 13, 2014
I'm not even a fan of MGS and have barely touched the series... and I can still tell this zombie survival shit isn't anywhere close to MGS.

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
Soooo, it's Metal Gear without anyone we know, and now it's Resident Evil when zombies were overdone at least three years ago. Wheeee?

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
I really hope that the entire game is just based inside the slowly dying mind of a MSF soldier after Mother Base blew up.
While I kinda dig the creepy visuals, I can't help but feel that a spy game where you play as a surviving MSF soldier on the run from XOF while Big Boss was in a coma would have been better.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
Diablo1099 said:
I really hope that the entire game is just based inside the slowly dying mind of a MSF soldier after Mother Base blew up.
Your hopes are too high. The entire game is probably base inside a Pachinko Machine.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
so basically after all that stink over how console games are worthless Konami makes a Metal Gear cash-in. They have to be one of the worst-run companies in Japan.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
This is like one of those cheap Christmas cracker toys, where no matter how poor you expect the surprise to be, it is always somehow worse. And then the joke that can hardly even be called a joke falls out, written by some entity that hasn't even got to the bad pun level of comedy. The entity possibly a conservative Macaw heavily intoxicated on paint stripper fumes.

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
Hmm. Looks pretty cool. Neat premise. Will probably check it out. Would be even cooler if they tied it together some how.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Ok...so Konami's direction for the franchise is basically Nazi Zombies?

Ugh.

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
Why? I'm just at a loss for words. This doesn't seem like a good idea in the slightest. Glowing horns? Sure it had that MSG wtf factor, but seems to translate to Zombie as far as everyone is concerned. This sounds like that Alone in the Dark co-op that came out some time ago. Anyone remember that one? I try to forget it and I hate myself for referencing it. While in most cases a co-op gives a game replay-ability (thank you auto correct) this one looks like L4D set in some kind of wasteland. Resident evil online anyone? (Now there's a reference, yuck) You know if Konami had released a first person stealth game in the same vein of Thief or perhaps Dues Ex I might have forgiven them. Heck maybe a FPS multiplayer set in MSG maps/levels would be serviceable. But no, they're aiming low. From the other replies it seems they'll hit their mark; low returns.

Areloch

It's that one guy
Dec 10, 2012
SlumlordThanatos said:
I thought Konami quit making video games.

Or did I just miss something completely?
Supposedly the pachinko scene isn't doing as well as they were hoping, while their gaming divison is still making cash, so they're working their way back into it.