Konami finally announces new Silent Hill!

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
The first sixty-one seconds were just weird.

The sixty-second second was literally the worst thing that's ever come out of my earphones and monitor.

Level 7 Dragon

Typo Kign
Mar 29, 2011
Seriously? I understand Castlevania, but Scilent Hill has moments when a murderer seeks redemption for his soul and is driven to suicide. Not something you want to assosiate with your gambling machine.

Whats next? A Clockwork Orange gambling machine, with an imagine of Alex DeLarge beating up the homeless/ being tortured in a straight jacket.

Do those people have any self awareness?

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Uh...I thought this already happened a while back. Not surpring. Disheartening, sure. But this pain is quick, sharp. Unlike the slow dismantling of Rareware as MS's money weaves between its' inner workings, destroying its' very soul. Still, i hear the cries and shuffling at night; what is left of the carcass contues to wander amongst our very lands, fueled by some powerful , exotic sorcery. No one dares these moors alone no more...

Spider RedNight

There are holes in my brain
Oct 8, 2011
I can hear the beast that's my inner Silent Hill fan roaring and tearing at its chains, screaming to be let loose on Konami but alas, my tough outer shell doesn't give a shit anymore.

At least... at LEAST Del Toro has mentioned the ACTUAL Silent Hills game here and there.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
tf2godz said:
Fox12 said:
Edit: The worst part is they've won. They aren't going bankrupt. They aren't digging a hole. Their making a massive profit with marginal investments. And they're going to horde their IP's until the end of days. You won't get any new games. But it's much worse. You probably won't get your hands on their old games either. Which means that new generations won't have access to Silent Hill 2, or any of their old masterpieces in the future. And there's nothing you can do about it.
I may not completely understand copyright law but I think they have to make a game of a property or they risk losing the license to it unless pachinko machines count. I'm not completely sure about that but I know that apply to some things like watchmen(that's the reason the prequels happened or the series never been out of print) or a lot of comic book movies(like the fantastic four) but those might be different cases
No, no, no no. Nope!

I wish, but you're getting confused here.

Let's look at an example, and show you why.

J. K. Rowling wrote Harry Potter.
As it's author, she owns the IP outright, and under current rules that means it will belong tonher family for about 70 years after she dies, after which it becomes public domain. (meaning literally anyone can use it for anything)

Warner Brothers created the films. Technically, they own the rights to those films. But since J. K. Rowling still owns Harry Potter itself, to make those films and sell them, they need permission from her to do so.

Most of the time, such exclusive licensing deals have a condition which either states you get exclusive film/game/whatever rights to a property for X years, or, alternatively you might have exclusive rights to a property as long as you make something with it at least once every X years.

But, if J. K Rowling herself didn't ever write any more books, it wouldn't change a thing. She would retain copyright regardless.

On the other hand, trademarks do lapse if not used.
A while back, someone claimed to have a trademark on the name 'edge' in association with games.
But this was overturned because they couldn't prove they'd done anything with the name in 20 years or so.
Unfortunately, that only applies to the name, not the content.

Konami owns both silent hills and castlevania and such, both as trademarks, and copyrights. The trademark might lapse if they don't use it. (someone would then legally be able to call a game 'silent hill' for instance), but the actual IP is theirs, and will be for a very long time yet.

If Konami want to be jerks about it, they can, unfortunately. And short of changing copyright laws entirely, there's nothing anyone can do about it.

Kotaro

Desdinova's Successor
Feb 3, 2009
For about a week now, I've been writing a lengthy rant about how shite Konami has become and explaining in detail every single reason why they will never get a cent of my money ever again, until the end of time. My plan was (and still is) to make it into a video for YouTube, but every time I try to sit down to actually record it, Konami does some new stupid fecking thing and I have to put it off so I can add that to the rant.
For feck's sake, Konami, just get your shite together or die already.

Major_Tom

Anticitizen
Jun 29, 2008
I... I have nothing to say, where is that fucking gif?
Oh, and fuck Konami.

Jan 27, 2011
Gotta hand it to Konami. They've literally made the most horrifying Silent Hill game ever.

...Sadly, it's for all the wrong reasons. "What exactly is a nightmare" indeed...

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
I think I got a good guess what Metal Gear 6 is going to be...

Maybe it's part of their nefarious plan. Japanese Silent Hill fans will gamble their savings away as they pine for the glory of yesteryear...

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
nomotog said:
ninja666 said:
Lol, are they for real? Silent Hill slots?! Please tell me this is some elaborate trolling...
They are also doing it with caselvaina too*.. It's a pachinko machine.. The tag-line is erotic violence.. We should prepare to be very said for a very long time.

*http://kotaku.com/konamis-new-initiative-erotic-castlevania-pachinko-1721123227
Pachinko machines and eroticism are basically how Japanese companies make their money now.

Hey, remember when Japan was one of the visionaries of creative media?

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Just as a reminder: Konami isn't just a games company, they have numerous other facets to their corporation. The current CEO clearly wants to get out of the games industry (or at the very least cut out AAA development and focus purely on mobile games so they can "make cheap games with high profit"). Even if their gaming "wing" goes under, they're still going to be doing just fine thanks to the other industries that they're part of in Japan.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
Somewhere Jim Sterling is cackling and knocking toys off of his podium. I'm not even going to watch the vid in the OP, I already know it makes Silent Hill Revelations and Book of Secrets seem like good ideas.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
When the rumors cropped up that Konami is basically quitting doing AAA home console video game productions some people hoped that Konami would sell the IP they no longer use.
Back then I already said that such companies will never ever sell their IPs out of free will. The only way Konami would sell anything is if they go outright bankrupt.
I already predicted that they might use their IPs for themed Pachinko machines and here we are now: Silent Hill and Castlevania.

Just let it go. Whatever Konami games you liked they are dead and lost forever.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010

Yeah, I think everyone half expected this sort of thing when we started piecing everything together. The most cynical part of me was like, "They're gonna make a Silent Hill and Metal Gear slot machine aren't they?" I didn't want it to be true. I really didn't. But, Goddamn it.

Oh, and, before I forget.

Fuck Konami!

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Well, the only bright side is that nothing ever lasts forever, not the good nor the bad. :p For decades Konami has had executives with affinity for videogames and love(or atleast appreciation) for its craftmanship, its just that now they have this fucking parasite behind the wheel that is running the company's entire creative history into the ground. Shareholders are indifferent to this as long as there is an increase in stock price. Chances are that if MGS5 sells really well(which it probably will) and Konami's other endeavours start to stagnate or decline(which they might very well be in such oversaturated markets like slotmachines and smartphone shovelware) that the decision to abandon high-quality game development might be 're-evaluated' by either future management or shareholder pressure. Unfortunately, ofcourse you're talking years down the line here.

Then there is also Kojima, who will probably start his own studio(either independent or as a subsidiary) similarly like Mikami when he left Capcom and started Tango Gameworks. There are a lot of publishers who are likely prepared to donate quite a large sum of money for licensing rights to Kojima's future game, making an actual 'Silent Hills'(without the name obviously) a high possibility. Espescially when former Team Silent members become involved as well. So, Kojima can finally quit making Metal Gear games as well. :p

For me personally the title of a game is always of little to no significance, it's about the creative force that makes these games and the names they give them is of little importance(other than to provoke fond associations with previous titles). Silent Hills might be cancelled but the people who would have made this game are still free to make a title of their own, espescially now they are no longer in employment of Konami. These people have the ear of big publishers so they don't have to start a Kickstarter campaign to make it a reality either. Espescially Kojima, publishers are probably standing in line for him waving their wallets. :p

A lot of it depends on sales of MGS5 obviously, the bigger the success the bigger the bargaining chip Kojima will have. Needless to say, I think MGS5 will do quite well. :p

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
no one has posted the Castlevania One yet

watching this was like.....my god. I understand talking about gender issues in video games can get stupid but I think the feminists can have this one and not a lot of people would complain about them

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
shrekfan246 said:
stroopwafel said:
And it's not what you think it is.
I dunno, at this point "pachinko machine" is basically the first thing I think with regards to Konami.
Isn't that all they do?

I hear at one point they dabbled in video games. Something about a Ninja Turtles game?

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
Well. That's it for me then, guys. Nope, I'm out. Fuck this. I'm done. This can't be real. It must just be the crazy internet being crazy. Tell me it's just the internet being crazy. Konami got hacked and the hacker made this video and posted. Please. Just tell me it's that. Don't tell me this piece of shit is real.

Nope. Nope. Nope! If I can't see it or hear it, that means it's not real, right?