Konami finally announces new Silent Hill!

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
KoudelkaMorgan said:
I'm not even going to watch the vid in the OP, I already know it makes Silent Hill Revelations and Book of Secrets seem like good ideas.
You should watch the first minute and ten seconds, just so you know how painfully correct you are.

Adultism

Karma Haunts You
Jan 5, 2011
In the words of a great man who left us too soon,

Fuck Konami.

OT: They blacklisted my good friend, and now I blacklist them. Good time for used market.

Battenberg

Browncoat
Aug 16, 2012
stroopwafel said:
I hope this fucking company goes bankrupt.
I wouldn't hold your breath: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/konami-profit-up-159/1100-6429538/

Of course after the new MGS comes out I wouldn't be surprised if their profits all dry up given that they no longer have a lot of talent or credibility left these days.

sonicneedslovetoo

Jul 6, 2015
Does anybody actually respect Konami anymore? I mean its generally agreed upon their IP's are worthy of respect but is there anything that would be lost if the company itself just went up in flames tomorrow?

BarryMcCociner

Feb 23, 2015
ninja666 said:
Lol, are they for real? Silent Hill slots?! I thought they learned their lesson after that shitty lightgun arcade shooter from years ago. Please tell me this is some kind of elaborate trolling...
Kojima is a troll pretty much, Joakim Mogren, remember him? It was Kojima in a mask? No? Geoff Kieghly was in on it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qhPoT4coOI

BarryMcCociner

Feb 23, 2015
MC1980 said:
BarryMcCociner said:
ninja666 said:
Lol, are they for real? Silent Hill slots?! I thought they learned their lesson after that shitty lightgun arcade shooter from years ago. Please tell me this is some kind of elaborate trolling...
Kojima is a troll pretty much, Joakim Mogren, remember him? It was Kojima in a mask? No? Geoff Kieghly was in on it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qhPoT4coOI
What does that have to do with anything?
Should have extrapolated, my fault. Kojima likes to mess with his fans, I get the feeling that all the Silent Hills stuff going on could possibly be one of his tricks. He tried to pull it off with the Joakim Mogren thing but people caught on too quick, so he rushed it out with the FOX Engine interview with Kieghly.

I get the feeling Kojima has been trying to make a statement about the bullshit surrounding games since he announced Silent Hills, the writing in P.T. wasn't that subtle, you could feel the vague beginnings of his point coming out. When people started to catch on with the statement he was trying to make I get the feeling Kojima might have pursuaded Konami to pull a Konami and fuck about with his works to add a kind of performance art aspect to what he was trying to do with Silent Hills.

It's just that niggling doubt, if it were anyone other than Kojima I wouldn't be thinking this, but if you've paid attention to him throughout the years it's exactly the kind of shit he'd pull. Think back to the postmodernist statements of MGS2. It's kind of the same vein as what P.T. felt like Silent Hills was going to be about.

I could be wrong and I wouldn't be surprised if I am. I just get the feeling that there's more to this Konami Silent Hills debacle than meets the eye.

Ima Lemming

Jan 16, 2009
Jim Fucking Sterling Son released another video on the subject:

In short, according to two workers he interviewed, some of the stuff in the Nikkei report was a bit overblown, but they also left some really awful stuff out.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
I am enjoying Konami's heelwork lately I do have to say, really working the crowd. Good old fashioned heelwork is a lost art and it's good to see Konami bringing it back. When they put over a face in the main event the pop will be huge.

gyrobot_v1legacy

Apr 30, 2009
Rozalia1 said:
I am enjoying Konami's heelwork lately I do have to say, really working the crowd. Good old fashioned heelwork is a lost art and it's good to see Konami bringing it back. When they put over a face in the main event the pop will be huge.
I have to agree, if there is one thing Japan is good at is they make no pretensions of abandoning an audience.

Seriously though, Japanese gaming is at it's most depressing state, the big devs leaving the industry, Vita flooded with panty quest Shovelware or MonHun clones. Iwata's death.

I predicted gaming was dying years ago, but at least I can announced that Japanese gaming is at a Palliative state.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
RJ 17 said:
Just as a reminder: Konami isn't just a games company, they have numerous other facets to their corporation. The current CEO clearly wants to get out of the games industry (or at the very least cut out AAA development and focus purely on mobile games so they can "make cheap games with high profit"). Even if their gaming "wing" goes under, they're still going to be doing just fine thanks to the other industries that they're part of in Japan.
Hey, finally someone else who knows what's up!

This announcement isn't Konami specifically giving Silent Hill fans (or any other) the middle finger (not directly anyway). Rather, this move is in line with the company's transition into gambling, recently legalized due to recent legislature in Japan.

And the reason Konami is doing this is because they had an existing manufacturing apparatus specifically for Pachinko Machines well before that legislature was enacted (they exported them elsewhere). Right now, they're in a uniquely powerful position to capitalize on the newly legalized gambling immediately (which won't be going away any time soon either).

Konami is just re-purposing their existing valuable franchises for extra leverage.

(incidentally, this is also why they've "apparently" started grotesquely mismanaging and abusing their game developers; it's to make them quit voluntarily, to avoid repercussions from the public press and Japanese labor laws. It's much cheaper to get rid of their game developers that way than having to pay full severance and endure bad press by firing them).

Business-wise, it's a no-brainer.
But it's the worst possible news for fans of their games, because this basically shuts out any possibility of their continuation as games. After MGS: The Phantom Pain, I'm betting that's the end of their games division as anything other than shameless exploitation.

So make your peace with your favorite Konami franchises and move on best you can, right now.
I did years ago. (farewell, Suikoden)

gyrobot_v1legacy

Apr 30, 2009
Add in the rest of Japanese Gaming as well. The only thing that comes out of Japan are untalented idols and Panty Quests

TheIceQueen

Sep 15, 2013
Konami is officially dead to me. Shame to see a giant from my childhood die like this, twisted and perverted. Oh, how the mighty fall.