Konami Halts New Love Plus Sales

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Konami Halts New Love Plus Sales

New Love Plus fans suffer the pain of bereavement as Konami halts sales of the game due to show-stopping bugs.

Japanese fans who picked up copies of mildly worrying dating-sim, New Love Plus [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/115820-Get-Emails-From-Your-Fake-Girlfriend-in-New-LovePlus], were disappointed to discover that, as well as the usual assortment of giant-eyed and bobble-headed teenagers, the game also came with a host of bugs and glitches. Some are minor, like players being unable to give their girlfriends sweets on "White Day" (A Japan-only follow-up to Valentine's Day in which men give women confectionery), but others can cause system lockups.

The bugs are so numerous that Konami has started telling retailers not to sell the game at all. Major Japanese retailer, Sofmap, has tweeted that they won't be selling new or used copies of the game, as per Konami's wishes. Currently there appears to be no way for developers to patch cartridge-based 3DS games, meaning a complete recall is likely to be Konami's next move.

Traditionally I like to end new updates with a joke, but there's no way I can do that without either insulting the entire Love Plus fan base or being wildly misogynist. I did think of a joke though, and it was a total zinger. I promise.

Source: Adriasang [http://andriasang.com/con0at/new_love_plus_bugs/]

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Grey Carter said:
Traditionally I like to end new updates with a joke, but there's no way I can do that without either insulting the entire Love Plus fan base or being wildly misogynist. I did think of a joke though, and it was a total zinger. I promise.
Send it to me via PM. I'll post it as "totally my own work nudge nudge wink wink there we go know what I mean?"

Even though the content is not something I am personally interested in, one would dreamily dream that console games wouldn't have such showstoppers. I really believe in the semi-public beta test model. Let the die hard fans buy into the game early, to play the alphas and betas, and then let them help find and quash killer bugs before hitting the market.

Sword of the Stars 2 and elemental war of magic might not have been such abortions if this had been the model.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
SL33TBL1ND said:
What I want to know is, how the hell does this sort of thing get past testing?
Especially on a platform where patching isn't a thing. I can see a dev letting some things slide to meet a deadline because they can go back and fix it with a patch shortly after release. But with the 3DS, you get one shot unless you want to face a recall. It baffles me.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Grey Carter said:
you should adhere to tradition!!!
o.0 wait .... people state side plays this shit?
(PM me with it, can't not share with a line like that)

Omegatronacles

Guardian Of Forever
Oct 15, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Grey Carter said:
thiosk said:
Send it to me via PM. I'll post it as "totally my own work nudge nudge wink wink there we go know what I mean?"
Lunar Templar said:
you should adhere to tradition!!!
o.0 wait .... people state side plays this shit?
(PM me with it, can't not share with a line like that)
Here's one!
You'd think a Japanese Dating Sim of all things would be able to provide better "fan service".
http://www.phillyist.com/attachments/philly_jill/tipothehat.jpg
GOOD NIGHT EVERYBODY!
Boo boo, the bear's a comedian, the comedian's a bear, boo boo!

http://chzgifs.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/statler-and-waldorf-muppet-trolls1.gif

OT: I can understand minor glitches getting through, things like the no candy on White Day wouldn't have come up unless someone changed the date to test every feature on every day of the year.

But if a glitch completely breaks the game, unless you are doing something highly unusual to get there, it should be picked up well before the game goes to market.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
you would think stuff like this would show up during beta testing.
I can understand bugs in games like TES or Fallout since those are huge but a dating sim?
bad developer! no cookie for you!

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
I guess some love affairs just weren't meant to be... in circulation.

I suppose a lockup is better than a breakup, but still should still have been caught in testing. Hopefully the people who bought this game will be getting a refund, so they can get into blackjack and hookers another virtual girl to take care of.

Grey Carter said:
Traditionally I like to end new updates with a joke, but there's no way I can do that without either insulting the entire Love Plus fan base or being wildly misogynist.
...I think "mildly worrying", "depressingly-popular", and referring to the characters they've thrown their affections on as "the usual assortment of giant-eyed and bobble-headed teenagers" already took care of the former quite well. No reason to hold back the jokes there.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Here's one!
You'd think a Japanese Dating Sim of all things would be able to provide better "fan service".
http://www.phillyist.com/attachments/philly_jill/tipothehat.jpg
GOOD NIGHT EVERYBODY!
XD!! lame, but i laughed

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
henritje said:
you would think stuff like this would show up during beta testing.
I can understand bugs in games like TES or Fallout since those are huge but a dating sim?
bad developer! no cookie for you!
Have you ever played a dating sim? When you have come back and tell me it was so fun that you'd repeat it for the chance of seeing something new.

OK... bad joke... This is kinda like what happened to Tales of Graces, but they fixed that with sending out new discs to fix it at least. Good thing Konami at least does the right thing and make retailers seize selling the games.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
"Love Plus" sounds like a sex toy company to me. Either way, guess this really sucks for the Western fans of this game.

All three of them.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
SL33TBL1ND said:
What I want to know is, how the hell does this sort of thing get past testing?
Probably because it takes a very "special" kind of development team to be able to flub something like this.

As I understand things (not having played them) dating sim games are ultimatly a lot like visual novels... or in a western equivilent, electronic equivilents of our choose your own adventure novels. Basically you watch the animations/read the text/hear the voice and select your responses, like a Mass Effect cinematic/conversation that just doesn't end and has dating as it's theme. There can be a little more to it than that, but that's the basic format.

Given that this basic kind of gameplay has been going on for decades, back to pure text based games where you'd simply make choices (they actually ported things like the "Cave Of Time" the first Choose Your Own Adventure book into computer format apparently), and is so simplistic, it's not suprising that there wasn't much testing because it should be nearly impossible to screw up for anyone holding a professional programming job. It's like an Engineer being unable to draw a right angle even with his tools (protrator, etc...).

I think finding out who messed this up, as well as how would be hilarious. :)

Johann610

Nov 20, 2009
Hey, now. Let's not forget how often PC games have this kind of problem.
And XBOX games.
And PS 360 Games.
Hell, last console *I* saw that was trouble free was, what? Playstation one?

Hat Man

Nov 18, 2009
Sparrow said:
"Love Plus" sounds like a sex toy company to me. Either way, guess this really sucks for the Western fans of this game.

All three of them.
There'd be more if they'd ever translate the bloody things.

There'd be many, many more. Myself included.

hedges1001

Mar 17, 2010
Hat Man said:
Sparrow said:

All three of them.
There'd be more if they'd ever translate the bloody things.

There'd be many, many more. Myself included.
i'm with ya bro. i wanna see them translated too, they actually have quite good stories

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
Curses! How much longer will I have to wait until I can date fictional schoolgirls and take pictures of them on my DS!? Why Konami!? WHY!?!?