Konami is Hiring For a "New Metal Gear"

sorsa

Dec 19, 2011
Well that settles it, Konami and what is left of its ok reputation is being ran into the ground by a psychopath.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Can we please stop saying Fuck Konami its inflammatory and petulant and at worst childlike (Same with the whole Crapcom fiasco)

Besides didn't people bash on MGS 5 for being boring and repetitive and empty probably because it was essentially the gameplay of Peace Walker?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_cSywyuEQw

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
Adam Locking said:
The best part is, by the time this even comes out, everyone will have gotten tired of saying "Fuckonami"
As long as Jim Sterling keeps making video content, (and Konami keeps doing things like this) nobody will get tired of saying "fuckonami" or if they do, he'll still be screaming it as loud as he can to ensure people listen.

We had a similar thing happen with Bobby Kotick a few years ago until the PR department of Activision duck-taped his mouth shut, the problem with Konami is, it's a company rather than an individual, so you can't just stop it from "talking".

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
I have never played a single Metal Gear or Silent Hill game in my life, but even I'm wishing for Konami to implode upon itself. Either the management of this company is deliberately trying to paint themselves as a bunch of sadists, or the management has utterly poor grasp of how to not get consumers to despise their company.

Up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A, SUCK IT KONAMI.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Those seems like impossibly big shoes to fill. It is safe to say that, whoever tries to, it is destined to fail and be hated by critics and the public together...

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
I thought Konami was quitting the console game business? Is this new Metal Gear gonna be on mobile phones or pachinko parlors? If so, I don't think they can expect it to sell at all.

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
Really and after the BS Konami has pulled who would really consider working forthem a good career move especially in this age of Kickstarter

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Only a passing, bumbling, oblivious idiot would take this job. Or someone with no knowledge of Konami's reputation. I'd imagine there are some that exist. We must spread awareness! I can picture the manager, months later, scowling from his toilet at the unfilled job position on the board, as a wild tumbleweed rolls past. Best get learning how to make games and lead projects yourself, silly human!

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Samtemdo8 said:
Can we please stop saying Fuck Konami
No, because they went out of their way to earn the ire they've been getting continuously for months now. For years now they've been screwing over both their customers and their employees with terrible business practices and moronic business decisions in a fall from grace so bad people have forgotten about EA's own fall from grace. The joke that their business models is "Fuck Kojima, Fuck Metal Gear, Fuck It, Fuck You" is a reflection of the fact they do everything they can to screw customers out of every last penny they can, then turn around and screw over the people who made them that money in the first place. If they current heads at the company had founded their own publisher instead of taken one over, it never would have gotten off the ground and would have folded within a year. Konami is the embodiment of everything that is wrong with Japanese business culture.

OT: Why is it being called "New Metal Gear"? I can understand making a new series, but come on, that title is stupid. At least Metal Gear Rising has a ring to it, come on can't think of anything better then "New Metal Gear"? God I hope that's a place-holder for until people who know what they're doing come up with a better name.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
I like how they said "we are getting out of the gaming business .... shit, MGSV made a butt load of cash AND won awards but we have gotten rid of the mastermind, then burnt the bridge he left on. What can we do now?"

Sorry but MGS died with 5 and unless Kojima's name is on it, I wont be playing it and I say that as an MGS fanboy (who by the by was bitterly disappointed in 5). Looking forward to his new stuff though, hope it lives up to his past work and I hope sony just throw money at him!

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Zontar said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Can we please stop saying Fuck Konami
No, because they went out of their way to earn the ire they've been getting continuously for months now. For years now they've been screwing over both their customers and their employees with terrible business practices and moronic business decisions in a fall from grace so bad people have forgotten about EA's own fall from grace. The joke that their business models is "Fuck Kojima, Fuck Metal Gear, Fuck It, Fuck You" is a reflection of the fact they do everything they can to screw customers out of every last penny they can, then turn around and screw over the people who made them that money in the first place. If they current heads at the company had founded their own publisher instead of taken one over, it never would have gotten off the ground and would have folded within a year. Konami is the embodiment of everything that is wrong with Japanese business culture.

OT: Why is it being called "New Metal Gear"? I can understand making a new series, but come on, that title is stupid. At least Metal Gear Rising has a ring to it, come on can't think of anything better then "New Metal Gear"? God I hope that's a place-holder for until people who know what they're doing come up with a better name.
How did they fuck "me?" as a customer over with terrible buisness practices?

I bought Silent Hill Downpour and was satisfyed.

I bought the HD collection of Silent Hill on PS3 patched and was satisfyed.

I bought Zone of the Enders HD and that was patched to perfection.

And I still eagerly wish to purchase MGS 5. Because I think the Big Boss games are more interesting than Solid Snake.

I did not mourn that much of Silent Hills cancellation mostly because well I like Silent Hill, but I am a bigger Resident Evil fan and I truly believe that even though the game had Kojima, Del Toro, and that guy from Walking Dead and if it turns out to be good it will still be inferior to the Team Silent games in the eyes of silent hill purists same way as Hardcore RE fans consider Resident Evil 4 and beyond are not true Resident Evil games (The last true RE game was Outbreak File 2)

Konami imo for the longest time has been rather irrelevnt to gaming because everyone looked elsewhere. Why play Metal Gear Solid for the story when you have Mass Effect or TellTale Games? Why play Silent Hill when people have Amnesia? Why play 2D Castlevanias when the Retro Indie gaming scene pretty much gives more options of the same kind of games.

Its no wonder they are going towards more the gambling/mobile scene. And imo in today's gaming market they can barely afford to make big AAA games on the same level of EA, Ubisoft, Activision, and Square Enix. It shows that MGS 5 was the only AAA level game they bothered making for this year.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Well on the flip side, if you came in to direct a new Metal Gear game in the current environment and under the kind of scrutiny this game will undoubtedly suffer, and you manage to make a good and successful game anyway, after that you've established that you can pretty much walk on water.

(...And then you should promptly leave Konami for some place your skills will actually be appreciated and rewarded, but that's another issue.)

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Samtemdo8 said:
How did they fuck "me?" as a customer over with terrible buisness practices?

I bought Silent Hill Downpour and was satisfyed.

I bought the HD collection of Silent Hill on PS3 patched and was satisfyed.

I bought Zone of the Enders HD and that was patched to perfection.

And I still eagerly wish to purchase MGS 5. Because I think the Big Boss games are more interesting than Solid Snake.
Surprisingly, you're not the only consumer of Konami products. Even more surprisingly, other people who are also Konami consumers were far less satisfied with the state of the games they've been releasing lately.

Konami imo for the longest time has been rather irrelevnt to gaming because everyone looked elsewhere.
I think you'll find that you have a pretty skewed view of the gaming community.

Why play Metal Gear Solid for the story when you have Mass Effect or TellTale Games?
Because neither of those franchises/developers offer the same style of narrative delivery and marriage to gameplay that Metal Gear Solid does. Neither of them put in the same amount of effort toward world-building, despite their best efforts. Neither of them are built with the same wacky sensibilities that allow them to wildly flit between being silly and serious on the drop of a dime.

Why play Silent Hill when people have Amnesia?
Because Amnesia is a small, self-contained experiment that focuses almost entirely on atmosphere and puzzles. Silent Hill is that as well, but also has an extra focus on actually being psychological, as it (at least in the older games) examines why characters are where they are, what caused them to arrive in Silent Hill in the first place. Specific thematic elements built around the characters inform what form Silent Hill takes, and it's not just a spooky place because of eldritch horrors.

Why play 2D Castlevanias when the Retro Indie gaming scene pretty much gives more options of the same kind of games.
Because 2D Castlevania games tend to be of far higher quality than their indie equivalents. I'm not even a particular fan of them, but I can't deny that Symphony of the Night is vastly superior to basically anything that's come out since.

Now, if by "for the longest time" you mean "since 2008 or so", when Metal Gear Solid 4 came out, then you're probably correct in your assertions. But other people tend to not view things in such a vacuum, and with companies the past is never forgotten, even if they're so desperately trying to wash it away.

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
Valkrex said:
Konami has some fucking nerve doing this... but in the end all that needs to be said is in this video here.

I'm amazed Jared held out for as long as he did before breaking down. :D

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Nobody take the jo-
"Sure, I mean, I was on your side all along anyway!"
DAMMIT HUEYYYYY!!!!

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Didn't they announce they were not longer doing any Triple A development and publishing after MGSV? New Metal Gear equals pachinko machine.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Yeah, I kinda doubt anyone will take the job, considering how bad Konami seems to be treating it's workers. And considering Konami seems to be more interested in pachinko machines nowadays... I'd hate to see how the new Metal Gear turns out.

Once again, #Fuckonami.