Konami is Hiring For a "New Metal Gear"

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
This can only end swimmingly for everyone involved with the project. /s

Seriously, this is absurd. Who in their right mind would take a job like that after how their predecessor was treated?

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
shrekfan246 said:
Samtemdo8 said:
How did they fuck "me?" as a customer over with terrible buisness practices?

I bought Silent Hill Downpour and was satisfyed.

I bought the HD collection of Silent Hill on PS3 patched and was satisfyed.

I bought Zone of the Enders HD and that was patched to perfection.

And I still eagerly wish to purchase MGS 5. Because I think the Big Boss games are more interesting than Solid Snake.
Surprisingly, you're not the only consumer of Konami products. Even more surprisingly, other people who are also Konami consumers were far less satisfied with the state of the games they've been releasing lately.

Konami imo for the longest time has been rather irrelevnt to gaming because everyone looked elsewhere.
I think you'll find that you have a pretty skewed view of the gaming community.

Why play Metal Gear Solid for the story when you have Mass Effect or TellTale Games?
Because neither of those franchises/developers offer the same style of narrative delivery and marriage to gameplay that Metal Gear Solid does. Neither of them put in the same amount of effort toward world-building, despite their best efforts. Neither of them are built with the same wacky sensibilities that allow them to wildly flit between being silly and serious on the drop of a dime.

Why play Silent Hill when people have Amnesia?
Because Amnesia is a small, self-contained experiment that focuses almost entirely on atmosphere and puzzles. Silent Hill is that as well, but also has an extra focus on actually being psychological, as it (at least in the older games) examines why characters are where they are, what caused them to arrive in Silent Hill in the first place. Specific thematic elements built around the characters inform what form Silent Hill takes, and it's not just a spooky place because of eldritch horrors.

Why play 2D Castlevanias when the Retro Indie gaming scene pretty much gives more options of the same kind of games.
Because 2D Castlevania games tend to be of far higher quality than their indie equivalents. I'm not even a particular fan of them, but I can't deny that Symphony of the Night is vastly superior to basically anything that's come out since.

Now, if by "for the longest time" you mean "since 2008 or so", when Metal Gear Solid 4 came out, then you're probably correct in your assertions. But other people tend to not view things in such a vacuum, and with companies the past is never forgotten, even if they're so desperately trying to wash it away.
I wouldn't be wasting your breath shrekfan- I have a not-so-sneaking suspicion that Samtemdo here is a Konazi sympathiser.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Regardless of what has or will happen, they totally forgot to put "must be batshit insane" and "must own large collection of japanese pinup posters" on the list

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Starik20X6 said:
shrekfan246 said:
Samtemdo8 said:

And I still eagerly wish to purchase MGS 5. Because I think the Big Boss games are more interesting than Solid Snake.
Surprisingly, you're not the only consumer of Konami products. Even more surprisingly, other people who are also Konami consumers were far less satisfied with the state of the games they've been releasing lately.

Konami imo for the longest time has been rather irrelevnt to gaming because everyone looked elsewhere.
I think you'll find that you have a pretty skewed view of the gaming community.

Why play Metal Gear Solid for the story when you have Mass Effect or TellTale Games?
Because neither of those franchises/developers offer the same style of narrative delivery and marriage to gameplay that Metal Gear Solid does. Neither of them put in the same amount of effort toward world-building, despite their best efforts. Neither of them are built with the same wacky sensibilities that allow them to wildly flit between being silly and serious on the drop of a dime.

Why play Silent Hill when people have Amnesia?
Because Amnesia is a small, self-contained experiment that focuses almost entirely on atmosphere and puzzles. Silent Hill is that as well, but also has an extra focus on actually being psychological, as it (at least in the older games) examines why characters are where they are, what caused them to arrive in Silent Hill in the first place. Specific thematic elements built around the characters inform what form Silent Hill takes, and it's not just a spooky place because of eldritch horrors.

Why play 2D Castlevanias when the Retro Indie gaming scene pretty much gives more options of the same kind of games.
Because 2D Castlevania games tend to be of far higher quality than their indie equivalents. I'm not even a particular fan of them, but I can't deny that Symphony of the Night is vastly superior to basically anything that's come out since.

Now, if by "for the longest time" you mean "since 2008 or so", when Metal Gear Solid 4 came out, then you're probably correct in your assertions. But other people tend to not view things in such a vacuum, and with companies the past is never forgotten, even if they're so desperately trying to wash it away.
I wouldn't be wasting your breath shrekfan- I have a not-so-sneaking suspicion that Samtemdo here is a Konazi sympathiser.
I'm not a Konazi sympahiser.

I mean what is there to symphethise with Konami at this point when they clearly fallen from relelvence when Kojima is now removed and they clearly do not want to make console games anymore.

I just think this whole controversey is blown way out of proportion. I wish this was all a rather mature and rational discussion as to why this happened instead of "Fuck Konami" like a petulant child.

Like to me the best way to discuss this controversey is watching SuperBunnyHop's videos on the whole thing. He talkss about this controversey in a calm and colleceted manner. And not once have I heard him say FUCK KONAMI.

Which makes me all the more dissipointed in seeing someone like TOTALBISCUIT devloves this whole thing to just saying "Fuck Konami"

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Caramel Frappe said:
MASTACHIEFPWN said:
I've got a few ideas.

I was crying tears after watching that video ... laughing harder than a man could muster. Holy jesus i'm dying please send help.

OT: I could make a joke, or stab at Konami but at this point? I'm begging everyone with a hint of respect for themselves to not go for this job opportunity. Not only because it'll allow Konami to think what they're doing is justified, but it'll also ruin your life (because seriously if you go in despite knowing what Konami's past was all about .. you should feel disgraced about your dignity.)

Heck if someone does go through and end up taking the position, i'll personally send them this video through Twitter.

You say that as if a very creative person would want to take the position of making the next Metal Gear when I think its a very high chance that the person taking Kojima's position is going to be one big yes-man to Konami.

Besides its probably going to be a reboot.

sonicneedslovetoo

Jul 6, 2015
Job requirements include:
High tolerance for bullying and intentionally poor work environment.
Contractual obligations to have your name erased from the project at any time.
Your entire project may be entirely canceled and erased regardless of how good it is.
Konami reserves the right to publicly shit on your face during award shows.
And anything else that Konami can think up to defacate all over you, I wouldn't put it past them to ACTUALLY defecate on people, or place your office inside of an active septic tank.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Baresark said:
Didn't they announce they were not longer doing any Triple A development and publishing after MGSV? New Metal Gear equals pachinko machine.
Maybe they won't be going full triple A on this New Metal Gear. Maybe it will be released as a Dreamcast exclusive?

From the looks of the recent business practices of Konami's gaming division that actually sounds like something they'd do.

runic knight

Mar 26, 2011
I'd say this is like a train wreck in slow motion, but at this point it is beyond that. The last 10 months with their bullshit with the fellow they are trying to replace now was the slow-motion train wreck. This is them coming out after the world has seen how the company orchestrated and caused the wreck now asking for a new train engineer to drive the next one.

Anyone who takes the job deserves the shitty company they choose to work for at this point.

Actually, you know what? Anyone want to let Tim Schafer know about this?

Apr 5, 2008
Didn't they announce an end to AAA game development? My understanding was that they had lost interest in video games and would be focussing on mobile and/or gambling machines.

Maybe MGS5's success changed their minds?

ArcaneGamer

Dec 21, 2014
http://cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/978/978646.png <Pictured: Our reaction to this news. Good Lord, what a load.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Ah shit, I got everything but the experience. I'm seriously brilliant, but I'm not professionally tested. As a result, I bug through the walls, distort graphics, and of course make Ubisoft look terrible.

(Seriously though, I can write like a composer writes music. Some of it might be the equivalent of heavy metal, but it'll most certainly ROCK.)

alj

Master of Unlocking
Nov 20, 2009
They forgot to add pachinko machine development experience.

HIT THE LEVER!

#FucKomani

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
Zontar said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Can we please stop saying Fuck Konami
No, because they went out of their way to earn the ire they've been getting continuously for months now. For years now they've been screwing over both their customers and their employees with terrible business practices and moronic business decisions in a fall from grace so bad people have forgotten about EA's own fall from grace. The joke that their business models is "Fuck Kojima, Fuck Metal Gear, Fuck It, Fuck You" is a reflection of the fact they do everything they can to screw customers out of every last penny they can, then turn around and screw over the people who made them that money in the first place. If they current heads at the company had founded their own publisher instead of taken one over, it never would have gotten off the ground and would have folded within a year. Konami is the embodiment of everything that is wrong with Japanese business culture.

OT: Why is it being called "New Metal Gear"? I can understand making a new series, but come on, that title is stupid. At least Metal Gear Rising has a ring to it, come on can't think of anything better then "New Metal Gear"? God I hope that's a place-holder for until people who know what they're doing come up with a better name.

I did not mourn that much of Silent Hills cancellation mostly because well I like Silent Hill, but I am a bigger Resident Evil fan and I truly believe that even though the game had Kojima, Del Toro, and that guy from Walking Dead and if it turns out to be good it will still be inferior to the Team Silent games in the eyes of silent hill purists same way as Hardcore RE fans consider Resident Evil 4 and beyond are not true Resident Evil games (The last true RE game was Outbreak File 2)

Konami imo for the longest time has been rather irrelevnt to gaming because everyone looked elsewhere. Why play Metal Gear Solid for the story when you have Mass Effect or TellTale Games? Why play Silent Hill when people have Amnesia? Why play 2D Castlevanias when the Retro Indie gaming scene pretty much gives more options of the same kind of games.

Its no wonder they are going towards more the gambling/mobile scene. And imo in today's gaming market they can barely afford to make big AAA games on the same level of EA, Ubisoft, Activision, and Square Enix. It shows that MGS 5 was the only AAA level game they bothered making for this year.
I'm usually a pretty laid back guy but the way they treated Kojima has made me say Fuck Konami along with the release a few months back of how they treat their employees. Treating Kojima like shit, taking his name off the game, and then threatening him with legal action if he accepted any rewards for MGSV is a great way for a company to look like the bad guy. Any company that treats an employee like that especially one that has made them money deserves to be hated.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Bat Vader said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Zontar said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Can we please stop saying Fuck Konami
No, because they went out of their way to earn the ire they've been getting continuously for months now. For years now they've been screwing over both their customers and their employees with terrible business practices and moronic business decisions in a fall from grace so bad people have forgotten about EA's own fall from grace. The joke that their business models is "Fuck Kojima, Fuck Metal Gear, Fuck It, Fuck You" is a reflection of the fact they do everything they can to screw customers out of every last penny they can, then turn around and screw over the people who made them that money in the first place. If they current heads at the company had founded their own publisher instead of taken one over, it never would have gotten off the ground and would have folded within a year. Konami is the embodiment of everything that is wrong with Japanese business culture.

OT: Why is it being called "New Metal Gear"? I can understand making a new series, but come on, that title is stupid. At least Metal Gear Rising has a ring to it, come on can't think of anything better then "New Metal Gear"? God I hope that's a place-holder for until people who know what they're doing come up with a better name.

I did not mourn that much of Silent Hills cancellation mostly because well I like Silent Hill, but I am a bigger Resident Evil fan and I truly believe that even though the game had Kojima, Del Toro, and that guy from Walking Dead and if it turns out to be good it will still be inferior to the Team Silent games in the eyes of silent hill purists same way as Hardcore RE fans consider Resident Evil 4 and beyond are not true Resident Evil games (The last true RE game was Outbreak File 2)

Konami imo for the longest time has been rather irrelevnt to gaming because everyone looked elsewhere. Why play Metal Gear Solid for the story when you have Mass Effect or TellTale Games? Why play Silent Hill when people have Amnesia? Why play 2D Castlevanias when the Retro Indie gaming scene pretty much gives more options of the same kind of games.

Its no wonder they are going towards more the gambling/mobile scene. And imo in today's gaming market they can barely afford to make big AAA games on the same level of EA, Ubisoft, Activision, and Square Enix. It shows that MGS 5 was the only AAA level game they bothered making for this year.
I'm usually a pretty laid back guy but the way they treated Kojima has made me say Fuck Konami along with the release a few months back of how they treat their employees. Treating Kojima like shit, taking his name off the game, and then threatening him with legal action if he accepted any rewards for MGSV is a great way for a company to look like the bad guy. Any company that treats an employee like that especially one that has made them money deserves to be hated.
Ancient History is my old post here.

I have delevoped alot of opinions of this controversy. So let me say:

Of all the people that should be upset about Kojima and the MGS games its should be ME because I am probably the biggest MGS fan ever. I have all the games minus 5 even the now Non-Canon Portable Ops for PSP (its canon to me Kojima) I can think of the whole plot of the entire franchise off the top of my head if I can think hard.

But after this I just don't feel upset at all. Probably because of alot of factors. Probably because this controversy is small potatoes in my eyes compared to other issues I am more upset about. Like how the Trans-Pacific Partnership Agreement is going to screw over gaming and gamers. And my growing hatred of a certain sect of Indie gaming scene case in point this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFX0f_YUn1I

And besides Kojima ended up with Sony as if nothing of value was lost. Kojima will still make games and is now free of the Metal Gear Soild franchise finally willing to make something new.

The only problem is that Kojima is now just gonna make games exclusive to Sony's Playstation.