Konami Reveals Rush 'N Attack Remake

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005

Get ready to face off the Russian attack once more: Konami has breathed life into a vintage action game series with XBLA/PSN remake (sequel? remakequel?) Rush 'N Attack: Ex-Patriot [http://www.amazon.com/Rush-n-Attack-nintendo-entertainment-system/dp/B00004SVU9/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278537207&sr=1-1].

[g4tv=45246]

I remember being a wee tyke playing Rush 'N Attack over at my friend's house on his NES for two reasons, really: One, it was hair-pullingly difficult, since it was essentially Contra [http://www.amazon.com/Contra-Nes/dp/B0009VRFFS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278537238&sr=1-1] except you were only armed with a little tiny knife; Two, it took me years to realize that the title was actually a play on "Russian attack."

Which, by the way, was a pun that our European readers never saw - the game was released in Japan and Europe as the infinitely-less-interesting-named Green Beret.

It turns out that Konami is looking to revive its NES sidescroller via the Bionic Commando: Re-Armed treatment: Give it a shiny new 2.5D remake/sequel with a pun-tastic title - and now, we have Rush 'N Attack: Ex-Patriot, the trailer for which you see here.

Ex-Patriot seems to resemble last year's Shadow Complex [http://www.amazon.com/Shadow-Complex-Online-Game-Xbox-360/dp/B002LIT3F2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278537276&sr=1-1] more than anything, though while Shadow Complex gave you guns, Rush 'N Attack seems to continue the series' tradition and keep you armed with little more than a knife. However, the press release boasts that the player will also have stealth options to try and evade and/or get the drop on enemies instead of taking them on in a frontal assault. This is probably a good thing, what with the old adage about bringing a knife to a gunfight and all.

From the press release, Rush 'N Attack: Ex-Patriot boasts:

[blockquote]* Stealth Combat Action - Using both stealth and brute force, players will escape from their imprisonment with a new level of action
* Fast Paced Platforming - Stay sharp and move quickly as you progress towards your objectives through challenging platforming
* Massive Levels - Fight your way through three environments with multiple levels full of hidden items, secret locations, and relentless soldiers trying to track you down
* Killer Graphics - Built on the Unreal Engine, players will have a visual feast that is unparalleled in other downloadable games.[/blockquote]

And in addition to all of that, presumably there will be some dirty attacking Soviets that need stabbing. It's only fitting, really.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Couldn't they do something...else?

Like a "Symphony of the Night" full on remake?

I like knives, though. I'll check it out.

Feb 13, 2008
John Funk said:
Which, by the way, was a pun that our European readers never saw - the game was released in Japan and Europe as the infinitely-less-interesting Green Beret.
Exsquise me? Green Beret was awesome.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
John Funk said:
Which, by the way, was a pun that our European readers never saw - the game was released in Japan and Europe as the infinitely-less-interesting Green Beret.
So any word if thats what It will be called for us?

The_root_of_all_evil said:
Exsquise me?
Calumon: Mister... Never say that again... ever, please?

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Cool.
There aren't enough knife fighting games.

There should be a Sayoc Kali style game. It could be especially cool with motion control.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
so they are making a remake of a bad nes game? why?

ad4m101

Jan 17, 2010
love me a good XBLA game, fingers crossed on winning the lottery tomorow 12mil would get me a nice collection =] cant afford at the moment =[

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Seems remakes are in this season.

Nothing wrong with bringing a classic back thoghh if they can improve it ^^

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
John Funk said:
It's not a remake it seems, but a sequel.

http://www.gamesradar.com/ps3/rushn-attack-ex-patriot/preview/rush-n-attack-ex-patriot-looks-eerily-familiar/a-2010040913299607026/g-201004099434232072

JRslinger

Nov 12, 2008
Rusn N attack was the first NES game I finished. The last level is a warehouse where you have to destroy an enemy ICBM at the end.

robinkom

Jan 8, 2009
*turns around and glances at hooked up NES and Rush 'N Attack cartridge on the floor*

...great... Because it's, uh... been so long since I played the original. Heh... heh, heh... >_> _>

zombie711

Aug 17, 2009
they should have put it on the wii like all their remakes, silent hill, castlevania, frogger, contra, gradius, and the metal gear solid game on the gamecube.