Konami Teases Fiery New Contra Game

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Konami Teases Fiery New Contra Game

Konami is teasing a new game where pressing up, up, down, down, left, right, left, and right might help.

At the very end of Konami's pre-E3 2011 press show, the screen went blank as if it was over, but then came back with a vengeance. A fiery vengeance, in fact, that may have revealed a new Contra game is in the works.

Consider the image below as exhibit A:

Notice the "C" made out of fire? Now watch Konami's teaser:

It's of a "C" made out of fire. Below the letter are the words "They're Coming."

Unfortunately, a fiery "C" doesn't give us much clue as to what Konami is working on within the Contra franchise. It could be a remake of the original Contra, with two bad dudes jumping across exploding bridges, ducking under strategically-placed bullets, and fighting over the spread shot, or a completely new game with new characters.

Konami and Arc System Works recently put together a game that was spiritually Contra called Hard Corps: Uprising [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101134-BlazBlue-Dev-Doing-Contra-Spiritual-Sequel]. Whatever Konami is teasing will likely be Contra in both spirit and name. Bet on Konami showing off this new Contra project at E3 2011, which runs from June 7-9.

See all our coverage directly from the show floor. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/conferences/e3_2011 ]

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Everyone is trying to cash in on nostalgia....maybe this will turn out good? Although I did laugh out loud at the possibility of a modern Contra.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
Wasn't Bulletstorm the spiritual successor?

I can't really see how making Contra 3D and a FPS is going to work, but I can't see any other way this will go, COD makes millions therefore it'll be a FPS.

Or maybe it's not Contra at all, and a new dating game - Clamydia - how it BURNS!

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
I hope it's not a 're-make' the old game was impossible without the konami code. It seems unlikely it would stand the test of time.
Now, simply using the franchise to make a new game... that might work.

koroem

Jul 12, 2010
I'm tired of teaser trailers. They are such a waste of bandwidth and time. Come back when something is actually being shown.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
My video game claim to fame is that I could beat Contra and the 2nd quest without dying. Oh and also I beat the game using just the original gun, just the laser and just the crappy spinny fireball weapon.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
If this IS a Contra "reboot"... all I can say is that I'd better not hear the words "first person," "cover-based" or "sandbox" mentioned in relation to it.

Vault boy Eddie

Feb 18, 2009
MovieBob said:
If this IS a Contra "reboot"... all I can say is that I'd better not hear the words "first person," "cover-based" or "sandbox" mentioned in relation to it.
You forgot regenerating health, which it will also have if it's a FPS.

Unless they plan on selling it in the Playstation store or the xbox marketplace cheap, they won't get away with selling a side scrolling game full price. They're not Infinity Ward, that could sell used tampons and people with buy them by the shitton.

exdeadman

Apr 4, 2011
Vault boy Eddie said:
MovieBob said:
You forgot regenerating health, which it will also have if it's a FPS.
None of those belong in Contra. 2D, Sidescrolling, Hardcore, and Explosion are the words I expect to describe it.

Bon_Clay

Aug 5, 2010
I agree, its sidescrolling or nothing for me. I loved the old school Contra games. If they did to Contra what Nintendo did to Super Mario Bros and Donkey Kong Country not too long ago I'd play that for sure. I just want a plain old fun action packed shoot em up.

If they make some FPS game with vague references to the series that isn't a Contra game to me and doesn't interest me in the slightest.

starwarsgeek

Nov 30, 2009
Hmm...more Contra is always promising.

Tom Goldman said:
Konami and Arc System Works recently put together a game that was spiritually Contra called Hard Corps: Uprising [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101134-BlazBlue-Dev-Doing-Contra-Spiritual-Sequel]. Whatever Konami is teasing will likely be Contra in both spirit and name.
Just nit-picking here, but there was a game on the Genesis called Contra: Hard Corps.
Hard Corps: Uprising isn't a spiritual successor, it's just a spin-off ;)

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
MovieBob said:
Contra always was kinda cover-based, but if you don't want FPS..How would YOU do it?

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Realitycrash said:
MovieBob said:
Contra always was kinda cover-based, but if you don't want FPS..How would YOU do it?
2D sidescroller. What else?

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
Konami and Arc System Works recently put together a game that was spiritually Contra called Hard Corps: Uprising [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101134-BlazBlue-Dev-Doing-Contra-Spiritual-Sequel].
The Metal Gear guys and the Guilty Gear guys did a game together? I need to hunt this one down.