Konami Warns of a Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain Bug

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Konami Warns of a Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain Bug

"We deeply apologize, and appreciate your patience for further announcements regarding this issue."

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain [https://uk.secure.konami-europe.com/link/portal/30031/30044/Article/2809/Regarding-save-data-for-METAL-GEAR-SOLID-V-THE-PHANTOM-PAIN-becoming-corrupt-under-specific-circumstances] that corrupts game-saves in specific situations.

Users are affected across all platforms, and according to Konami "there is a possibility that save data may get corrupted and become unusable if having Quiet as a buddy while playing "Mission 29" or "Mission 42"." Konami recommends against having Quiet as a buddy during these two missions until the issue is fixed.

"We deeply apologize, and appreciate your patience for further announcements regarding this issue."

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain released on September 1 for PC, Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS4, and PS3.

Metal Gear Online, The Phantom Pain's main online multiplayer mode, will go live [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/141865-PC-Release-for-Metal-Gear-Solid-5-Moved-up-to-Match-Consoles] October 6 for consoles and sometime in January 2016 for PC.

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
Jesus... that's not good. I have over 60 hours in my game so far, and I'd go insane if my save got corrupted now.

I haven't even made it to mission 29 yet. And I've been using Quiet a lot as my buddy. Oh well... I'll take D-Dog along instead. Thanks for the heads up.

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
From what I've read you're safe as long as you don't rely on that save you create during that mission. If you just keep on moving, the next save overwrites the corrupted save.

From what I've heard. Don't rely on that, of course..

Oh, and I Want my IOS app to work on Xbox 1 !%@#%@!@!!!

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Konami may have been able to garner hatred faster than any other company, but at least they have the decency to give a shout out about this and warn their customers.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Fuck, 42?

I have 30 hours in the game and am still at mission 21, does the pace pick up a bit latter on? After 30 hours it still feels like I at the first two hours of any other game. I am liking it but damn, its a slow paced game.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
I don't know why, because I actually want to play this game one day, but this just makes me laugh. Its like leave it to Konami to have such a specific bug.
Imagine if Mass Effect 2 had a bug where if you have a lvl 10 Jack and a lvl 25 Tali and play a specific mission, say the corrupted robot production factory mission, and complete it in under 10mins your game is fucked.
So specific it just makes me smile.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Elfgore said:
Konami may have been able to garner hatred faster than any other company, but at least they have the decency to give a shout out about this and warn their customers.
Their customer service has been freakin' epic. I find it hard to complain about their business policies when as a customer I feel completely satisfied with what I got for my money.

CrossGuard

Mar 8, 2015
The game has apparently a lot of bugs and hilariously broken mechanics, like guards not noticing the Rocket Arm flying towards them for some reason. I seriously hope they work on fixing all that stuff, despite Konami's decreased interest in console gaming.

And what about the cut content? Hopefully they're going to package it as DLC at least. It's a damn shame Kojima's last MGS feels so rushed.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Thank God then that around mission 24 I decided Quiet was just too damn overpowered for any sort of satisfying stealth action.

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
Covarr said:
Is this across all platforms, or just specific ones?

P.S. Thanks
According to the notice sent out by Konami its all platforms.

thanatos388

Apr 24, 2012
Elfgore said:
To be fai-hateful. It was probably a warning from the devs. I doubt the CEO and suits at Konami really give a fuck. It costs nothing to just shoot out warning emails.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
Thank God then that around mission 24 I decided Quiet was just too damn overpowered for any sort of satisfying stealth action.
Tell me about it.

Don't get me wrong I still used her on several missions and side ops to get the bond up but give her a rifle with a suppressor and goddamn.....you can just sit in the bushes while she takes out a whole fort.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
maybe i hold back to it but then who knows how long i need to even reach this place. still thinking if i should get this game.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
anthony87 said:
Casual Shinji said:
Tell me about it.

Don't get me wrong I still used her on several missions and side ops to get the bond up but give her a rifle with a suppressor and goddamn.....you can just sit in the bushes while she takes out a whole fort.
I know, it's crazy.

I gave her the sleepdart rifle with a surpressor, and as soon as I land in a map all I really need to do is send her to scout an encampment, put her in a good attack perch, and just hit the 'Cover Me' icon. Then all that's left for me to do is fulton everything that's snoozing. So yeah, I kind of ignore her now.

Although she did really save my ass on a couple of Skulls encounters. Those guys are fucking brutal.

truckspond

Oct 26, 2013
This is like that bug from Pokemon X and Y which occurs if you save in the outer areas of Luminose City and causes your game to be completely screwed up (Since patched.) - A MAJOR pain the arse if it happens but easy enough to work around if you know about it.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
So far after sinking about 30-40 hours into the game, I've only encountered three bugs, which is impressive for any modern open-world sandbox game (although I suspect one of those two bugs might have been my crappy HDD).

Each time it happened, I couldn't help but wonder if Konami would even bother with a patch. Good to see a real online mode is happening though.