Konami's Memorial NFTs auction

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
I actually still have a copy of Nintendo Power magazine where one of those images is a fold out (or just 2 page, I forget which) Castlevania map. Its probably older than the "image" they are "selling" in an NFT.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
Its even better then a jpeg. When you buy an nft you are buying an nft, not the image that sold you the nft. You are buying the address in a database.
This brings up an interesting question. An NFT is basically a bit of data tied to a blockchain ledger validating that it is in fact the data in question, is unchanged and belongs to suchandsuch account. How much data can you actually attach to the NFT itself, what's the technical limit and what's the practical limit and is either likely to budge in the future?

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
This brings up an interesting question. An NFT is basically a bit of data tied to a blockchain ledger validating that it is in fact the data in question, is unchanged and belongs to suchandsuch account. How much data can you actually attach to the NFT itself, what's the technical limit and what's the practical limit and is either likely to budge in the future?
Theoretically infinite, practically a few KB. The answer is vague, stupid, and complicated

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Well, as I understand, NFTs tend to just be links. Like the image or whatever you think you are buying is hosted somewhere else, but the NFT in the database is just a link, so... unlimited?

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
Well, as I understand, NFTs tend to just be links. Like the image or whatever you think you are buying is hosted somewhere else, but the NFT in the database is just a link, so... unlimited?
That was rather my point - typically NFTs on things like OpenSea and such are just a link to a thing hosted on a regular web server somewhere, rather than the data that makes up that thing itself. Which led to me wondering if that was a practical limitation, a technical limitation, or just being done that way for some other reason (like the exchanges just wanting to maintain final control of the things - I know there's been at least one case of OpenSea pulling down the thing at the link, putting it up at another link and issuing a new NFT with that link because someone got their account hacked and their NFT stolen). The other reply to my post seems to say that it's technically virtually unlimited but the amount of gas (transaction fees) you'd have to attach to it to store something as small as 1KB directly on the ETH chain is..umm..more expensive than it's probably worth.

That brings up the question - if the chain is immutable and previous data on it cannot be altered or removed without breaking the thing (which as I understand it is the whole point), how long before some troll takes some explicitly illegal to distribute bit of data and stores it on the blockchain directly - so that everyone using ETH is technically receiving and distributing said piece of illegal data?

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
That was rather my point - typically NFTs on things like OpenSea and such are just a link to a thing hosted on a regular web server somewhere, rather than the data that makes up that thing itself. Which led to me wondering if that was a practical limitation, a technical limitation, or just being done that way for some other reason (like the exchanges just wanting to maintain final control of the things - I know there's been at least one case of OpenSea pulling down the thing at the link, putting it up at another link and issuing a new NFT with that link because someone got their account hacked and their NFT stolen). The other reply to my post seems to say that it's technically virtually unlimited but the amount of gas (transaction fees) you'd have to attach to it to store something as small as 1KB directly on the ETH chain is..umm..more expensive than it's probably worth.

That brings up the question - if the chain is immutable and previous data on it cannot be altered or removed without breaking the thing (which as I understand it is the whole point), how long before some troll takes some explicitly illegal to distribute bit of data and stores it on the blockchain directly - so that everyone using ETH is technically receiving and distributing said piece of illegal data?
Blockchain is a really inefficient way to secure a database since it relies on a bunch of different computers to maintain itself. But that maintenance is also based on computing power. I've heard speculation that once the first quantum computer comes online and suddenly has more computing power then the other 51% of the blockchain that it will be able to make up its own values for the ledger and the rest of the chain will accept them. I don't think all the "coins" have this weakness but it does sound like bitcoin does, so that will be fun when it happens.

I mean... is it really even stolen data if they aren't buying whatever the data is but just a link to the data? Its soooo stupid and convoluted, I wouldn't be surprised if they came up with the name NFT as a dare to see if they could get everyone saying the dumbest acronym they could think of.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Blockchain is a really inefficient way to secure a database since it relies on a bunch of different computers to maintain itself.
Blockchain is inefficient full stop. Apparently, one artist cancelled their NFT sale when they realised in ten seconds it would use more electricity than her studio would in two years. And we can all burn the planet down for pointless bits of code!

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Blockchain is inefficient full stop. Apparently, one artist cancelled their NFT sale when they realised in ten seconds it would use more electricity than her studio would in two years. And we can all burn the planet down for pointless bits of code!
I still don't get why crypto and NFTs take so much juice. I know they run on computers, but computers have a max amount of electricity you can put in them. Even if you have 100 computers going, you can't use more than 100 computers worth of electricity. They're not like Iron Man's suit where lightning makes them run at 400% capacity.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I still don't get why crypto and NFTs take so much juice. I know they run on computers, but computers have a max amount of electricity you can put in them. Even if you have 100 computers going, you can't use more than 100 computers worth of electricity. They're not like Iron Man's suit where lightning makes them run at 400% capacity.
Well, the thing is computers tend to use less power when they are idle and even when running stuff they aren't usually running at full power, so to speak. When your "mining" you are running a computer at full tilt to get as many coins as you can. So you are using a lot of power for no other reason then to mine coin. You are making your computer do complex calculations for coin, not for research or gaming or whatever, just for cryptocoins. That isn't even talking about the huge banks of graphics cards the bigger mining rigs use or the cooling needed for the buildings they are in. These are power hungry machines that run hard for crypto.

warmachine

Hating everyone equally
Legacy
Nov 28, 2012
Country
United Kingdom
Blockchain: a grossly energy and equipment inefficient way to eliminate the need for trust in transaction records but can never eliminate the need for trust in trading itself.

Reactions: BrawlMan