KONY 2012 [seriously important you guys check this out]. Now with more facts!

BlueberryMUNCH

Apr 15, 2010
Okay, seriously, read the whole of this post before you think it's clever to post an angry comment about how terrible this cause is. Think before you post a comment, because some of you are really embarrassing yourselves with your anger and misplaced, irrational hatred. Also, check out all the links provided. Trust me.

Heya Escapist.

So basically, I just watched this video about Joseph Kony.

'Who is he?' you might all be asking; that's the point.
This man needs to be known so the authorities of the world can work together for his capture and imprisonment.

His criminal acts are a blight on the modern world, and he needs to be stopped.
If you haven't already, I implore you all to take 30 minutes of your day to watch this:

Link it to everyone you can. We need to act.

For those who don't have 30 minutes to kill, here's his wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Kony

'Joseph Kony (born 1961) is a Ugandan guerilla group leader, head of the Lord's Resistance Army (LRA), a guerrilla group that is engaged in a violent campaign to establish theocratic government based on the Ten Commandments in Uganda. The LRA say that God has sent spirits to communicate this mission directly to Kony.
The LRA has earned a reputation for its actions against the people of several countries, including northern Uganda, the Democratic Republic of Congo, South Sudan and Sudan. It has abducted and forced an estimated 66,000 children to fight for them, and has also forced the internal displacement of over 2,000,000 people since its rebellion began in 1986.'

Do whatever you can guys.

Also credit to xXTheParadoxXx for making a thread sooner than me. Leave a comment on there too if you can just so more people can hopefully stumble upon this. http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.353319-Kony-2012#14018861
And here's another thread commenting on the misplaced anger of some people http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.353689-hating-on-kony-2012-is-BS#14040227

Edit: So I return to this post seeing a lot of misplaced hate. Yes this is a trend that a lot of people are following, and that's kinda the point. Sorry if this is becoming too mainstream for some of you. It's cool to be all hateful and it's great that you now know about this, but can I just say that it's pathetic seeing some of you having a go at each other. So either grow up, or don't post.
geK0 said:
I Don't really understand the raging on this thread...... "I dont care about people being kidnapped, murdered, mutilated and tortured and Im great because I'm willing to admit it! fuck you all!".... Like really? wouldn't "It's terrible, but I'm not inclined to take part in activist movements" be more appropriate? : \
True words.

This article is also very important. Again, we have no sources for the facts stated, but it's definitely interesting. Questionable charity or not, Invisible Children do good work, and the fact they are raising awareness is a great feat. What I think is most important to note about this fad however is that this is indeed a social experiment too, as stated in the video. What this will show the world is how Social Networking can help us nobodies achieve a common goal on a global scale. If you support the charity or not, you must be able to see that this is of great importance in today's world.

http://visiblechildren.tumblr.com/post/18890947431/we-got-trouble

EDITEDIT Here's their financial report
http://c2052482.r82.cf0.rackcdn.com/images/737/original/FY11-Audited%20Financial%20Statements.pdf?1320205055
So yeah, there's your source guys. Keep the facts coming; people need to be aware of all the facts.

Also, make of this what you will, I really recommend you watch; it's an interview with the man of the hour himself http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshhEk16p80re9j8X31h

Following research by Genuine Evil...
Genuine Evil said:
I also noticed some very weird things in the Q&A section of the invisiblechildren website . they claim that they have spent 80.46% on programs that further their three-fold mission . this is only true if they count things like production costs (851.000$) travel expenses (850.000$ ) and many other small things ( that rank up to over 2.5 million) that really don?t seem to be part of any mission.
Hmm.

More Edits: Can I just say, throughout the whole video, they don't ask for our money directly; sure they advertise a $3 a month support thingie, but they aren't all 'GIMME MOARH MUNEYZ'. I wouldn't call the organisation a scam or fraud, and if you honestly believe they are theeeen...cool story bro, you're ignoring the facts.

Here is a link to the groups first video; if you're interested, I recommend that you check it out http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3166797753930210643

Zenron

The Laughing Shadow
May 11, 2010
This has gained a hell of a lot of traction over the course of today, has 120,000 notes on tumblr the last time I saw. Nice to see a person such as this get so much scorn over such a short amount of time.

Toasty Virus

Somehow I Returned?
Dec 2, 2009
I was just coming to check if there was a thread, glad there is!

I'm doing all I can, gonna do The Cover Night in my city.

Let's bring this fucker to justice.

BlueberryMUNCH

Apr 15, 2010
Zenron said:
Damn right, it's blowing up which is great to see:].

Toasty Virus said:
El Snippo
As soon as a saw it I thought I had to make a thread haha. Kinda disappointed by the lack of immediate response but hey, maybe I'm just impatient. Off to bed now so fingers crossed more people check it out on here.

Let's help save lives, guys.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
I hate when this kind of thing happens. This guy has been active since the 80's. This kind of shit is happening all the time. People only give a shit when it's cool to do so. "Ooh this Kony thing has gone viral, I'll show my support to show I am hip and trendy!"

If you are going to be charitable, do it on it's own merits. Do it every day, or you might as well not bother.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Chairman Miaow said:
I hate when this kind of thing happens. This guy has been active since the 80's. This kind of shit is happening all the time. People only give a shit when it's cool to do so. "Ooh this Kony thing has gone viral, I'll show my support to show I am hip and trendy!"

If you are going to be charitable, do it on it's own merits. Do it every day, or you might as well not bother.
Pretty much, yeah. We've got reporters being targeted by government supporters in some of the civil wars in the mid east right now, and the international community is still sitting there twiddling their thumbs. If we can't break into a war to stop mindless killing when our own people are being killed, we aren't likely to do it when some random people in a strategically insignificant country in Africa are being killed. It's sad, but it seems that America, NATO, and the UN only break into other countries' civil wars when there's something more than human lives to be saved.

13thforswarn

Jul 11, 2009
Planning to go to Cover the Night in my city. According to the Facebook event, a lot of my friends are going too.

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
BlueberryMUNCH said:
Heya Escapist.

So basically, I just watched this video about Joseph Kony.

'Who is he?' you might all be asking; that's the point.
This man needs to be known so the authorities of the world can work together for his capture and imprisonment.

His criminal acts are a blight on the modern world, and he needs to be stopped.
If you haven't already, I implore you all to take 30 minutes of your day to watch this:

Link it to everyone you can. We need to act.

For those who don't have 30 minutes to kill, here's his wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Kony

'Joseph Kony (born 1961) is a Ugandan guerilla group leader, head of the Lord's Resistance Army (LRA), a guerrilla group that is engaged in a violent campaign to establish theocratic government based on the Ten Commandments in Uganda. The LRA say that God has sent spirits to communicate this mission directly to Kony.
The LRA has earned a reputation for its actions against the people of several countries, including northern Uganda, the Democratic Republic of Congo, South Sudan and Sudan. It has abducted and forced an estimated 66,000 children to fight for them, and has also forced the internal displacement of over 2,000,000 people since its rebellion began in 1986.'

Do whatever you can guys.

Also credit to xXTheParadoxXx for making a thread sooner than me. Leave a comment on there too if you can just so more people can hopefully stumble upon this. http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.353319-Kony-2012#14018861
another african war lord, why is this guy so different from the rest?

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Chairman Miaow said:

To be fair there has long been a movement against Kony and The Lord's Resistance Army. I remember attending a rally for international intervention in Uganda through Amnesty in the late nineties. If Social media and hipsters can make a difference then that is all good. The sad thing is he will almost certainly be given a free pass to stabilize Uganda's north.

Evelynia

Jul 18, 2011
I went and shared it on all of my social networks once I'd watched it, today. Maybe not joining the movement until today makes me a hipster, but I hadn't heard of it before this point.

My argument to those stating that he's just another african warlord and thousands more will take his place- sure. It's true that he's just one terrible person out of all of the evil in the world which needs to be stopped. But the world has to start somewhere, one thing at a time.

Joseph Kony seems like a good place to start.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
The title of that Youtube video makes me think someone is trying to get him elected for prez.

Krion_Vark

Mar 25, 2010
Zenron said:
This has gained a hell of a lot of traction over the course of today, has 120,000 notes on tumblr the last time I saw. Nice to see a person such as this get so much scorn over such a short amount of time.
Will the attention stick is my question. Will people forget about this within a week and have this just be a flare up of the internet only to be forgotten once the next big thing comes out?

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
Yep, he's a cultist nut. A precision drone strike would not go amiss, je pense.

Filiecs

May 24, 2011
I heard about these guys and Kony last year, they've been trying to get this guy for years.
Hopefully they can finally get enough influence to actually make a large change this year.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Remember when Osama bin Laden died and it seemed all of America celebrated their victory with an absolutely vile display of joyous celebration of death?

I have the awful feeling that we're heading towards that with Kony. Build him up into a household name. Make everybody loathe his very existence. Revel in his bloodshed. That's not justice. That's petty war, exactly what this act is trying to stop, and unfortunately what the "Kony 2012" video is inadvertently encouraging. I'm tepid about this whole issue... I don't think I can trust the mass populace with this sort of cause.

smaug85

Oct 23, 2010
The thing is, people are saying we need to bring this to authorities. Most authorities know, the major problem is finding him, they don't have a set location, it moves from place to place, and even then most countries (sure as hell America) do not have military personell to spare, and not enough to fight Kony at least, his army is large and well armed, they have won out tons of battle against the army of Africa and police of the countries. Don't get me wrong, I believe it's good that we are raising awareness, and I do believe something can be done.

P.S. watch Blood Stone, it's a pretty good movie and relates to the rebellion.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Andy of Comix Inc said:
I'm tepid about this whole issue... I don't think I can trust the mass populace with this sort of cause.
I am sort of inclined to agree with this. People are stupid. Its unbearably common to see people rally around an issue and only halfway understand what they are supporting like nimrod hipsters wearing Che Guevara tshirts bought at the gap never realizing had they met Che face to face he would have shot them in the face without blinking.

This seems like a similar situation where it seems especially cool to ignore facts or lack thereof simply because of the connotation of Christianity