KONY 2012 [seriously important you guys check this out]. Now with more facts!

Caffiene

Jul 21, 2010
Apart from the issue of whether or not the charity makes good use of the donations it gets, unfortunately there is another problem with the idea.

While there is no disputing that he is an evil man, it is not clear that targeting the man specifically will make much of a difference to the problems in the area. Other organisations, such as the Child Soldiers Initiative charity, have recently been talking about assessments of the LRA and its capabilities which say that taking out Kony would make little difference.

While it would be a nice PR move, the assessment comes to the conclusion that if Kony were removed it is highly likely the organisation would continue with business as usual under another leader.

Political (and possibly cultural, with the local "mato oput" justice system) tactics are more likely to have success, and pushing for that sort of action will probably be a much better use of time and money.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
Monkeyman O said:
Ya know what. I am gonna be that guy. I don't wanna be but I am gonna be.

Fuck this bullshit.

I am sick and tired of lazy fucking people pretending to give a damn about shit when it takes them no effort at all. Now me, I don't care about this guy. Hes just another asshole who thinks hes a warlord. They are a dime a dozen over there. And people have been trying to take him out for a long time so do not think this is something new. But signing a arrest warrant ain't gonna do shit for a guy with a fucking army.
But my biggest problem is with these people who think they are doing something. These lazy bastards who watch a video, share it and think they have actually done something to help "bring this fucker to justice"
Its a worrying trend because it lets lazy fucks feel good about themselves for nothing.

Heres a news flash everyone. Sharing this video won't do one iota of rancid fuck. Changing your facebook picture to a pink ribbon won't do a single thing to stop domestic violence or end world hunger or any of that shit.
You want to do something to stop this guy? Get off your PC, get off your asses, pick up a goddamn rifle, go to Uganda and do your best to put a fucking bullet between his eyes.

But until you are willing to do that, please, do everyone a favour and stop pretending you give a damn about what hes doing. You don't and it is insulting that you get a moral high off doing jack shit.

Signed
- Someone who don't give a shit about Kony but at least has the balls to admit it.
I agree, this sums up my antipathy towards campaigns like this. And the video really should have just gotten to the point.

Oh, I do care. How I would like to see this evil f**ker and his accomplices hung, drawn, and quartered - just like any mass murderer... but it's not my job to hunt down international terrorists, and there are plenty of monsters like this, everywhere.

Spongebobdickpants

Oct 6, 2009
Yeah, lets arm and train a dictators rapist army so he can send them to kill hundreds of child soldiers to arrest/kill an evil man.

YYYYEEEEAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!

Seriously THINK about what it is that they are proposing, remember not a few weeks ago Uganda was under fire for its anti homosexual legislation and now somehow its a fucking force for good that needs our help to kill more children and rape more women and oppress more people.

Sorry if you buy into this blatant propaganda then you truly are an idiot, end off EVEN IF they used 100% of the revenue generated to capture this man its a sick proposition, non of that blood should be on out hands.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
Jacco said:
Chairman Miaow said:
I hate when this kind of thing happens. This guy has been active since the 80's. This kind of shit is happening all the time. People only give a shit when it's cool to do so. "Ooh this Kony thing has gone viral, I'll show my support to show I am hip and trendy!"

If you are going to be charitable, do it on it's own merits. Do it every day, or you might as well not bother.
I fucking love you right now. You pretty much just stated the exact words I posted on Facebook not 10 minutes ago:

"For all of you suddenly obsessing about Joseph Kony, I just want you to know that he's been around since the 80's doing what he does. This sudden "surge" of popularity for him just goes to show the West's ADD when it comes to 3rd World matters. Things like that happen every day across the planet and you don't see documentaries and asinine Facebook campaigns about those. Where is the documentary about the Mexican Zetas who murder parents out in the wilderness and then leave 4 year old children to starve to death? Or Columbian drug cartels who torture and maim young children simply for being distantly related to an enemy of theirs?
Kony has been on Western hit lists since 9/11. Stop jumping on ridiculous band wagons and claiming to support some cause when all you do is post about it and then go back to your video game. Spreading word about something like this does absolutely jack shit. Calling your Senator does. Stop pretending you're making a difference and go do something if you feel so strongly about it."
I'm glad somebody agreed. I posted similar on my facebook and just got a stream of "OMG WTF U R HEARTLESS!!!111 :'("

I just feel like saying, ok, what about the army the head of invisible children is seen having fun with who are well known for rape and murder? What about female genital mutilation going on all over the world? That shit doesn't matter, nobody put a well produced video on facebook. 1st world problems hey? how to make yourself feel better about not living in a shithole.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
I don't care. You may think that's callus, but horrible evil people do horrible evil things every single day. We didn't stop Stalin, we waited years to interfere in the hutus and tutsies, if we ever did. We leave North Korea alone for fuck's sake. Humanity will continue to have evil horrible people doing horrible evil things for as long as there is humanity, and no matter how many times you step in and stop a single incident, that won't change. You want to solve this problem, then you need to improve the horrible conditions in Africa that cause these sorts of things to happen. Anything less is slapping a bandaide on a slit-throat, and I won't support it.

daveman247

Jan 20, 2012
Well its good to see that most people HERE at least have common sense. Unlike the plebs spamming my facebook and youtube page -.-

Something about the whole thing seemed.. off. Good to see my gut may have been right.

appleblush

Sep 13, 2009
The main issue I draw with things like this is that it's all temporary. Remember SOPA? The indefinite detention bill? All very recent, they sky rocketed to viral fame for about a week and when that week was done they may as well have stopped existing. This viral fame is all temporary - people go back to not caring in a week. You can say "But it's drawing attention" - well, not really, it's drawing a bunch of people who know it's bad based on the perceptions they see and so share so they can be part of the in crowd, but at the end of the day they don't really care and most likely aren't about to go out and do anything.

The day people prove that a viral campaign and create LONG LASTING change is the day I will care.

ablac

Aug 4, 2009
Kony deserves to die but military intervention is not the key. This is calling for assasination which I find pretty aprehensible to start with and essentially giving huge military support to the Ugandan government. This is all about tribalism and to support one will directly harm the people of the others. If you dont drive the area into chaos then you simply give a dictator, with a pretty bad record himself, overall power. Thats stupid. Also this 'decorate x city' thing is juvenile. Wallpapering posters is simple grafiti and will piss people off, not help your cause. The charity is pretty dodgy and I dont want to support them either. Dont support this. What is happening is terrible but we cannot fix it with guns. The best we could do is evacuate innocent people from that area. To truly fix things you would need to re-shape the borders and nations of pretty much all of Africa or take them into your country. Such a simplistic take derived from a misleading, in that it makes a man who is now very weak and a small fry in whats going on seem like he is wholly responsible and the only one doing these sorts of things (though he is opne of the worst granted and he may even be dead now), with a call for very extreme reaction is dangerous and bad for everyone. This will not fix things so please research what you are supporting and the nature of the situation beyond one source made by people who benefit a lot from it (based of off their past they are probably lining their pockets with a lot of this cash). Also look at what you are asking and realise just how extreme it is. Dont be an idiot or simply trust the crowd. What is happening is terribel but this is not a solution and only stands to help one mad man catch another. This is not a place to take sides. There are no good guys here.

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
Yeah this charity group has been looking shady as hell. Not to mention how all these different instances of artificial means of increasing its popularity popping up more often everywhere. Views, likes, thumbs up... bot programs trying to artificially increase its popularity.

And that's not even going into how grey the charity's practices are.

http://seet.weebly.com/1/post/2012/03/concerning-kony-2012.html

Nobody's for the atrocities in Africa but I'm not jumping into this. It's far too suspicious for me to believe that it's a perfectly innocent cause.

arnoldthebird

Sep 30, 2011
It's a viral video, and it will past.

Taking out Kony makes no difference, he has been doing it for years. When he is gone another one will replace him

Uganda itself is just as dangerous, the government there isn't known for it's kindness

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
SurfinTaxt said:
viranimus said:
I am sort of inclined to agree with this. People are stupid. Its unbearably common to see people rally around an issue and only halfway understand what they are supporting like nimrod hipsters wearing Che Guevara tshirts bought at the gap never realizing had they met Che face to face he would have shot them in the face without blinking.

/quote]

What the hell are you talking about? Che only killed in battle, and only when he needed to. I dont think you understand how the cuban revolution went down, they were 90 guys up against the entire cuban military that was backed by the u.s. He didnt have a choice with prisoners, he couldnt afford to take any or else the movement would have likely been quashed. Try turning off fox news for once and open a book
No. You do not comprehend what I said. I was not talking about pros or cons of Che.. I was talking about ignorant hipsters who seemingly blindly idolize someone they do not even understand. The only context to Che was that the people wearing his t-shirts bought at the gap represent the epitome of capitalism of which Che was vehemently against. Please reread my original post. What I said was painfully obvious. It could have saved misinterpreting my statement to be in line with conservative dogma or based in ignorance.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
SurfinTaxt said:
I perfectly understood what you wrote.
Im sorry, but I have trouble seeing how you understood what I wrote when youve twice now had to step over what I wrote in order to apply your own context to it. I spelled it out in no uncertain terms that the point has absolutely nothing to do with Che, outside of Che was a Marxist who saw capitalism as his enemy. Ignorant hipsters wear the face of an anti capitalism icon plastered on their commercial product. Its sort of like the Occupy kids fighting about corporate greed and corruption while buying their Guy Fawkes masks and thus supporting... Time warner.

Anything else you see in what I said, is your own spin on my words to which I cannot argue, because its not my position. Its the position you think I hold.

So I will ask you again, please dont put words in my mouth.