KONY 2012 [seriously important you guys check this out]. Now with more facts!

Loud Hawk

Jun 8, 2009
Monkeyman O said:
Ya know what. I am gonna be that guy. I don't wanna be but I am gonna be.

Fuck this bullshit.

I am sick and tired of lazy fucking people pretending to give a damn about shit when it takes them no effort at all. Now me, I don't care about this guy. Hes just another asshole who thinks hes a warlord. They are a dime a dozen over there. And people have been trying to take him out for a long time so do not think this is something new. But signing a arrest warrant ain't gonna do shit for a guy with a fucking army.
But my biggest problem is with these people who think they are doing something. These lazy bastards who watch a video, share it and think they have actually done something to help "bring this fucker to justice"
Its a worrying trend because it lets lazy fucks feel good about themselves for nothing.

Heres a news flash everyone. Sharing this video won't do one iota of rancid fuck. Changing your facebook picture to a pink ribbon won't do a single thing to stop domestic violence or end world hunger or any of that shit.
You want to do something to stop this guy? Get off your PC, get off your asses, pick up a goddamn rifle, go to Uganda and do your best to put a fucking bullet between his eyes.

But until you are willing to do that, please, do everyone a favour and stop pretending you give a damn about what hes doing. You don't and it is insulting that you get a moral high off doing jack shit.

Signed
- Someone who don't give a shit about Kony but at least has the balls to admit it.

*Slow clap*

Took the words out of my mouth.

I agree with you 100%.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Yeah I'm just gonna go ahead and quote what I said in another thread about this.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/429208_10150846131847519_510242518_12681481_1729641643_n.jpg

Seriously people, stuff like this has been going on for decades. Things aren't gonna change now just because a load of Facebook and Youtube users are aware of it.[/quote]

Good thing the legions of keyboard warriors are now aware eh? Truly the world can now begin to heal.

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
I'm not about to knock a movement to remove such an evil man from his position of power. That's not what this is about.

However, looking over the wikipedia page on Kony [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Kony], he's already an internationally recognized war criminal, efforts have been made to cut his resources where possible, we have US military troops acting as advisers in Central Africa to the people working to take him down, and the only reason Kony isn't dead or in prison (but come one, we all know they'll kill him) yet is because he's pretty good at hiding and running away.

Sure, awareness may have been somewhat low prior to this, but what difference will a bunch of people knowing Kony exists actually make? Short of a full-on occupation of Uganda (which will NOT be a popular idea any time soon), I can't see how the UN isn't already doing what it can to get this guy. Hell, the US Senate and House UNANIMOUSLY voted for President Obama's plan, and that NEVER happens.

So if I'm missing some piece of the puzzle here, can someone enlighten me? Right now, and I know this is such a cynical thing to think, but right now this Kony Awareness campaign seems more like a fad so people can feel good about themselves while ultimately doing nothing. I hate thinking like that, but I calls 'em as I sees 'em.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
Id kinda like Kony to drop dead asap - not just cause of who he is, but also cause if this whole thing is just an excuse to have military presence in Africa - it would kill that reason just as fast.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
SurfinTaxt said:
anthony87 said:
Yeah I'm just gonna go ahead and quote what I said in another thread about this.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/429208_10150846131847519_510242518_12681481_1729641643_n.jpg

Seriously people, stuff like this has been going on for decades. Things aren't gonna change now just because a load of Facebook and Youtube users are aware of it.
Good thing the legions of keyboard warriors are now aware eh? Truly the world can now begin to heal.
Well theyre doing a hell of a lot more than you are. It may be fruitless, drop in the bucket kind of shit and I do agre with whoever brought up "slacktivism", but what I dont get is why youre giving people shit for trying to change something. Is it because you want them to be as lazy as you all are?[/quote]

Changing something? Here's what people have been doing:

1) Sharing/liking a Youtube video.

2) Posting about how terrible things over there are. While they're not wrong in that regard, they don't seem to be aware that that stuff has been going on for DECADES and they never gave it a second thought before this bandwagon came along.

3) Increasing the funds of a "charity" organisation who apparently keep around 80% of the money they recieve.

Don't get me wrong now, I in no way support or agree with the kinds of things that have been happening that are highlighted in the video. And I'm well aware that there are people in the world who work and care and make an effort to make things better.

The people making Facebook statuses and not shutting up about that damn video are not those people. All they're doing is saying "LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME! I CARE! SEE HOW MUCH I CARE BY LIKING THIS STATUS!"

Also:

Jack the Potato said:
right now this Kony Awareness campaign seems more like a fad so people can feel good about themselves while ultimately doing nothing.
This right here oh so many times over.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
SurfinTaxt said:
viranimus said:
SurfinTaxt said:
I perfectly understood what you wrote.
Im sorry, but I have trouble seeing how you understood what I wrote when youve twice now had to step over what I wrote in order to apply your own context to it. I spelled it out in no uncertain terms that the point has absolutely nothing to do with Che, outside of Che was a Marxist who saw capitalism as his enemy. Ignorant hipsters wear the face of an anti capitalism icon plastered on their commercial product. Its sort of like the Occupy kids fighting about corporate greed and corruption while buying their Guy Fawkes masks and thus supporting... Time warner.

Anything else you see in what I said, is your own spin on my words to which I cannot argue, because its not my position. Its the position you think I hold.

So I will ask you again, please dont put words in my mouth.
"nimrod hipsters wearing Che Guevara tshirts bought at the gap never realizing had they met Che face to face he would have shot them in the face without blinking."

Those are the words Im putting back into your mouth. Your commentary on hipsters is irrelevant, this (bolded) is what I take umbridge with

Ill say it again, this portrayal is fucking innacurate, what part of my criticism dont you get?
/facepalm.

My commentary on hipsters cannot be irrelevant if that was the only point I was making. What your doing is the equivilent oflooking at Thanksgiving dinner, and complaining about the cranberry sauce being from a can instead of fresh and claiming the entire dinner is ruined.

Simply put, you can strike the colorful embellishment, because it has so little or nothing to do with the point I made. EDIT:Im not even defending it as being accurate or not because its absolutely irrelevant to my point and the point of the thread./edit .Che was a marxist, Che viewed capitalism as his enemy, Hipsters are the penultimate embodiment of what Che fought against? Saying that he would have shot them in the face without blinking is nothing more than colorful language to say "Hey these people are my enemy. I kill my enemies"

Ive said what Ive intended to. If you cannot discern what I mean from this, then there is no way I can make it any more clear to you and I apologize for my lack of eloquence. However I wont continue to derail the thread So why not let this thread remain on track of KONY please instead of taking umbrage at what you perceive to be an insult against a guy who was responsible for the death of a whole lot of people in both action and instruction.

Mar 9, 2010
Yeah, a charity that only gives 31% of funds to the actual cause, refuses to let an independent party look at their finances and supports the Ugandan military, an army accused of raping, pillaging and recruiting child soldiers themselves, is not a good charity. It may be speculation that they're bad, but you shouldn't be willing to jump into a charity that may be doing more harm than good.

I've already had this discussion on Facebook and it was pretty good. I don't think it'll follow through but I've seen some events that look like it might. I'm still sceptical that the video and public support will do much, but it'll be pretty cool if it does.

AbstractJuggler

May 27, 2009
http://visiblechildren.tumblr.com/
One of my mates showed me this yesterday. Sure, Kony isn't a good guy by any means, but the company who started this "Kony 2012" business aren't angels themselves, either.
Genuine Evil said:
Snippety snip
As well as this, the people they're supporting (the Uganda People's Defence Force) are also the target of accusations of raping and looting. Wow. Nice choice, guys. But just read the blog post - it has quite a lot to say.

May 17, 2010
The sentiment is nice but as other people have noticed it is often simply used as a vapid ego booster for people to think they are charitable but are actually kinda lazy. There is also the fact that Africa and Uganda in particularly is a very very complicated situation. Just how exactly are you meant to deal with this guy? How far can you trust say the Ugandan government particularly when Kony isn't even in their anymore, etc.

Odbarc

Elite Member
Jun 30, 2010
With all this Kony posts, tweets and crap, I finally saw something that told me what Kony WAS without expecting me to just jump into the suggested media offered to me.
I thought he was running for President or something with all times I've seen his name without any additional information.

I'll give this video a check now because of BlueBerryMUNCH.

Bradeck

Sep 5, 2011
The cake is a lie.

http://jezebel.com/5891269/think-twice-before-donating-to-kony-2012-the-meme-du-jour

BlueberryMUNCH

Apr 15, 2010
Genuine Evil said:
brguhrthtes
Interesting o.o. I'll stick all that in the OP too, appreciate the help.
Aaaah it's all a load of rubbish over there init, bleh. Makes me thankful for the small degree of stability our countries have, eh.

idarkphoenixi

May 2, 2011
Eh...I don't really care, I don't mean to say I can't empathise with their problems because I can but this is nothing new. The only reason people seem to be getting so worked up is because it just happens to be viral and I don't want to just jump on a bandwagon.

What about all of the other horrible warlords in that live around there? Of which there are many. Should we not give a shit about their crimes?

The company that made this video only gives around 30% of their profits to the actual charity that they promote, most of it went to huge salaries, pre/post production costs to the videos and expensive rents for the classy apartments they live in. Does that sound like they really care about their own cause?

Not to sound uncaring but this is just another one of those "internet events" and I promise it will die out in maybe as little as a couple of weeks. I probably should be more involved but why should I target this one guy of the dozens of other tyrants?