Korea Bans Commercial Game Item Trades

Scow2

Aug 3, 2009
Excludos said:
Scow2 said:
Excludos said:
Dexter111 said:
YES, PLEASE LISTEN TO SOUTH KOREA AND IMPLEMENT PROGRESSIVE LAWS LIKE THIS EVERYONE ELSE!

Sorry for caps, but this is fucking awesome.
Only if you think crippling evolution is awesome. The entire industry is moving towards cheaper games and microtransactions and/or other ways to gain income. Do you really want to go back to stone ages where games cost a fortune, and once you buy it any support for it will shut down after a couple of years? Thanks for your input, but its turned up invalid.
What? Being able to pay once for a game and enjoy the full experience is suddenly the "Stone Age" and undesirable?

If being nickle-and-dimed to spend an arbitrary, often higher than the game's value, amount of money on a game to fully enjoy all of its content is the future, I'm glad to be living in your "Stone Age"
Paying once for a game to enjoy the full experience is desirably in singleplayer games. The reason this model is stoneage is because, unlike 20 years ago, a lot of games are not singleplayer anymore. That pluss the fact that games are expensive. If you have a fulltime job as a grownup, you might not be able to see this problem. The students does.

And pleeeease answer with "but video games is a luxury", so I can link you this awesome video from Jimquisition ;)
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/5709-Videogames-Are-A-Luxury

And thats only one part of the problem. The other part is, like I stated above, that games these days needs to last longer. The games need to be updates and servers needs to be payed for. Years after a game have been released, the publishers needs a reason to keep the servers alive, and "but everyone thinks its good" is not good enough for a business that have an end of the year goal to meet. If the game isn't generating income, all support for it will be pulled. So tell me again why you think its bad that you can now pick up a game for free, and other people who can afford costum skins and fancy nametags, helps you and the publishers keep it alive?
Games have been getting more expensive, not less, with the advent of DLC and dawn of the misleadingly-named Free-to-Play games, which tend to lock out their content to those unwilling to pay more than they would for a single-player game.

DLC, map packs, expansions, and subscriptions are all fine, and microtransactions work to an extent. However, the rampant real-money item sales that plagued a lot of MMOs and Diablo 2 is a problem, as are a lot of F2P business models, like that used by Team Fortress 2 (The hats aren't a problem. The randomly locked weapons are)

Excludos

Sep 14, 2008
Scow2 said:
Excludos said:
Scow2 said:
Excludos said:
Dexter111 said:
YES, PLEASE LISTEN TO SOUTH KOREA AND IMPLEMENT PROGRESSIVE LAWS LIKE THIS EVERYONE ELSE!

Sorry for caps, but this is fucking awesome.
Only if you think crippling evolution is awesome. The entire industry is moving towards cheaper games and microtransactions and/or other ways to gain income. Do you really want to go back to stone ages where games cost a fortune, and once you buy it any support for it will shut down after a couple of years? Thanks for your input, but its turned up invalid.
What? Being able to pay once for a game and enjoy the full experience is suddenly the "Stone Age" and undesirable?

If being nickle-and-dimed to spend an arbitrary, often higher than the game's value, amount of money on a game to fully enjoy all of its content is the future, I'm glad to be living in your "Stone Age"
Paying once for a game to enjoy the full experience is desirably in singleplayer games. The reason this model is stoneage is because, unlike 20 years ago, a lot of games are not singleplayer anymore. That pluss the fact that games are expensive. If you have a fulltime job as a grownup, you might not be able to see this problem. The students does.

And pleeeease answer with "but video games is a luxury", so I can link you this awesome video from Jimquisition ;)
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/5709-Videogames-Are-A-Luxury

And thats only one part of the problem. The other part is, like I stated above, that games these days needs to last longer. The games need to be updates and servers needs to be payed for. Years after a game have been released, the publishers needs a reason to keep the servers alive, and "but everyone thinks its good" is not good enough for a business that have an end of the year goal to meet. If the game isn't generating income, all support for it will be pulled. So tell me again why you think its bad that you can now pick up a game for free, and other people who can afford costum skins and fancy nametags, helps you and the publishers keep it alive?
Games have been getting more expensive, not less, with the advent of DLC and dawn of the misleadingly-named Free-to-Play games, which tend to lock out their content to those unwilling to pay more than they would for a single-player game.

DLC, map packs, expansions, and subscriptions are all fine, and microtransactions work to an extent. However, the rampant real-money item sales that plagued a lot of MMOs and Diablo 2 is a problem, as are a lot of F2P business models, like that used by Team Fortress 2 (The hats aren't a problem. The randomly locked weapons are)
I agree. TF2 was borderline, and worked for me. But a lot of other games are "pay to win", which I despise. And you're right, a lot of developers are releasing their games for full price, and then tries to shove DLC down your throat which should otherwise just have been a part of the game to begin with. A lot of developers are experimenting with their business model, and a lot of them are either not getting it right, or stink of money grabbing.

But then there's games like Dota 2, which is going to be free to play with microtransactions. The only difference being you can -only- unlock skins, emotes and sounds for your heroes. You can not unlock or buy anything that will actually influence your skill in the game itself. No abilities, and no weapons with + stats or such.

Banning everything that doesn't use the old "60 bucks to buy the game" model will set the industry several years back in that regard. Lets hope it doesn't pass. And for the love of..whoever you believe in.. lets be smarter than swallow bullshit like the first user I quoted because you (I don't mean you specifically) don't like changes.

Also, since you mentioned Diablo and the problems with real money item sales. Developers can look out for themselves, which Blizzard proved with the real money auction house in Diablo 3. Getting rid of illegal item selling and at the same time ensuring they have an income to cover the cost of updates and servers was brilliant. Its just such a shame they blew it with a game that didn't live up to expectations. (I also think, seeing as they where expecting another source of income, that they could have lowered the initial cost of the game. But for some odd reason, most developers, that aren't valve, seems reluctant to do just that, even thought they agree that games are too expensive.)

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Scrumpmonkey said:
Wouldn't this also kill the real money AH in Diablo III? The timing seems oddly convergent, especially after those raids on their offices. The Korean government seems to have a very big problem with Blizzard...
only so far as Korea goes I'd think, doubt any one who isn't in Korea will even notice if the law goes into effect

will be interesting to hear what it dose to the f2p games though