Korean Ex-Defense Minister Says Crisis "Isn't StarCraft"

Towels

Feb 21, 2010
Rushview said:
Press: What is the government doing about the lack of jobs and the current economic failure?

Obama: This isn't Sim City.
Haha

Press: Why have we canceled funding for NASA?
Obama: This ain't no Civilization.

tetron

Dec 9, 2009
Quaxar said:
TaboriHK said:
On the other hand, if it WAS Starcraft, North Korea would be in huge trouble.
Naaah, they Zerg rush.

They should just move their war into a three-round based StarCraft tournament. And to compensate for North Korean people's lack of internet skills a hunger contest too. Gotta be fair to both sides.
That's how we should settle all conflicts, virtual war ! Easily the only intelligent way of waging war.

Zeromaeus

Aug 19, 2009
Towels said:
Rushview said:
Press: What is the government doing about the lack of jobs and the current economic failure?

Obama: This isn't Sim City.
Haha

Press: Why have we canceled funding for NASA?
Obama: This isn't Civilization.
The whole NASA thing really has me bummed out. It speaks volumes of our nation that we're willing to cut it out the way we have.
I fixed your grammar, by the way. I get what you were going for, but it was really unnecessary and would only cause distraction from any valid point you had.

OT: Pretty good comparison actually. Its not like SK can just flatten NK for lashing out the way it did. There's simply too much risk involved.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
You do Realize its NORTH KOREA? They are still using equipment from before the 50's. their missile program is an utter joke and when a whole company of men only has ONE set of cold weather gear it just makes things pathetic. Most of their veihicles have been sitting in caves for 30+ years and hasn't been turned on (let alone repaired) since then. Yes they have a million man army but when that army is North Korea versus the UN their pretty much fucked.

OT: This just made my day[/quote]

You do realise that 100 ssm with 1 tonn of persistent nerve gas (80 year old technology)doesn't have to be that accurate when fired at an urban area. The conventional warheads on the V2 killed 7000 poeple 66 years ago. As to hitting the west coast, yeah the NK missiles could miss by 10 miles but that wont make any difference when your aiming at a large city with a nuke. They only need to duplicate a 65 year old nuke design and 53 year design for the missile. Just because they cant hit 9 targets with accuracy of 3 ft from 50 ft under water and 6000 miles away doesn't mean the North Korean aren't capable of killing 10s of millions in 40 minutes flat. Why do think Obama kept up with the missile shield? Nations only have to have the same technological/industrial base as US/Europe 50-60 years ago to have a truly devastating attack.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
they need to respond like the Israelis. swiftly and decisively. better to overreact than to not react at all. no one is gonna blame SK for doing so.

we are talking modern technology versus cold war technology here. 4th largest standing army in the world means nothing to superior technology. ask sadam and the Iraqi army (formerly the 5th largest0

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Staskala said:
I read that as 'Korean Ex-Defense Minister Says Crysis "Isn't StarCraft"'. What the heck.
Time to go to bed I guess.
Glad I'm not the only one who read that.

TheAmazingHobo

Oct 26, 2010
DTWolfwood said:
they need to respond like the Israelis. swiftly and decisively. better to overreact than to not react at all. no one is gonna blame SK for doing so.

we are talking modern technology versus cold war technology here. 4th largest standing army in the world means nothing to superior technology. ask sadam and the Iraqi army (formerly the 5th largest0
Sorry, your Sadam comparison is fundamently flawed.
First, Sadam, having the 5th largest army, went up against one of the top 3 armys.
Second, Washington wasn´t within artillery range....

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Exort said:
Quaxar said:
TaboriHK said:
On the other hand, if it WAS Starcraft, North Korea would be in huge trouble.
Naaah, they Zerg rush.

They should just move their war into a three-round based StarCraft tournament. And to compensate for North Korean people's lack of internet skills a hunger contest too. Gotta be fair to both sides.
No, you aren't going to beat South Korea starcraft players...
Even with the hunger contest before Starcraft matchs.

I forgot who but one Korea Starcraft player played one round of WCG drunk and still win...
With enough armed men behind the North Korean players you might just motivate them enough. Isn't that how Little Kimmy solves most of his problems?

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
MortisLegio said:
You do Realize its NORTH KOREA? They are still using equipment from before the 50's. their missile program is an utter joke and when a whole company of men only has ONE set of cold weather gear it just makes things pathetic. Most of their veihicles have been sitting in caves for 30+ years and hasn't been turned on (let alone repaired) since then. Yes they have a million man army but when that army is North Korea versus the UN their pretty much fucked.

OT: This just made my day

Ok the first use of chemical weapons 1915. The first time chemical weapons fired by shell 1916. Persistent nerve gas 1932. Missiles with ranges capable of hitting Japan 1944. 20-30 kt nuclear warhead 1945. Missile capable of hitting the west coast 1957. North Korea only has to duplicate technology of 50 to 60 years ago to be able to kill 12 million in less than hour. That is one of the big problems facing the world now, tin pot countries with loonies in charge can develop genuinely frighting capabilities. If North Korean ICBM has 50% failure rate, firing 8 still means 4 US cities are destroyed.

There is a reason whey why the North Koreans tanks are sitting in caves. Those cave have tunnels attached that emerge over 1 mile behind the front line. A regiment of T72 appearing behind your lines isn't fun. 10 years ago the North wouldn't have stood a chance but with Iraq and Afghanistan most of the American reinforcements are fighting elsewhere. Even if the US decides abandon Afghanistan and Iraq is going to be 4-6 weeks before significant ground units get there. That could be enough time for NK tanks to be sitting in Pusan. It would take 3-4 years to build enough amphibious ships to retake the south. It might be only 25% chance of victory but form an NK generals point of view thats better 100% chance of being put against a wall and shot.

Reshkar

"Face to Face"
May 18, 2010
This will actually lead to quote "Nuclear launch detected"
Shit "I'm in a heap of trouble"

But seriously this ain't going well.

MortisLegio

Nov 5, 2008
beniki said:
MortisLegio said:
albino boo said:
Shale_Dirk said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again.

South Korean national Starcraft champs should be brought in for military tactical advising.

OK whats the build order to deal with the 4-6 million dead in Seoul from the NKs opening chemical artillery barge. The short range missiles will start to fall on major South Korean ports, again armed with chemical weapons, thats another 2 million dead. 20 - 30 seconds later the missiles start falling on Japan, another 2 million gone. 40 minutes later the long range missiles start landing on the west coast, this time with 20-30 kiloton nukes. Seattle, LA, San Francisco and San Diego are hit. They are only small nukes thats only 500000 dead each, so only another 2 million gone. The war is only 1 hour old and 12 are million dead. It really isn't Star Craft.

Their missile program isn't that much of a joke. They can effectively hit Japan, and routinely prove it by dropping 'test' missiles just off the Japanese coast line. The scary thing is that they're pretty confident in their out-dated stuff, and have a leader insane enough to actually try using them, and even more terrifying, can't back down once he starts because otherwise he'll lose his grip on the country.

And it's not so much the North Koreans people are concerned about... it's the big, big, big country that backs them. Right now, China is in the process of realising that working with other countries instead of bull dozing them is easier and makes them rich. But it's early days, and if an ideologically similar ally gets curb stomped by a capitalist coalition, they will have to respond.

So yeah... certainly not Star Craft.
Im not saying this situation is/isnt like starcraft Im saying that North Korea doesnt have the capibility to be a strong threat. Yes they were allies with China but China (more or less) sees them as an annoyance that is best left alone. The reason why I say their missile program is a joke is because they couldnt hit a city if they aimed at it. Sure they might (and I stress might) have the range to get to the target but if you can hit it then you can kill it. not to mention the number of anti aircraft missiles stationed around S.Korea to shoot the buggers down and even if they hit a city (ex. Seoul or Tokyo) the responce would all but annihalate Penyayang. The only real problem with North Korea is China.

MortisLegio

Nov 5, 2008
albino boo said:
MortisLegio said:

Ok the first use of chemical weapons 1915. The first time chemical weapons fired by shell 1916. Persistent nerve gas 1932. Missiles with ranges capable of hitting Japan 1944. 20-30 kt nuclear warhead 1945. Missile capable of hitting the west coast 1957. North Korea only has to duplicate technology of 50 to 60 years ago to be able to kill 12 million in less than hour. That is one of the big problems facing the world now, tin pot countries with loonies in charge can develop genuinely frighting capabilities. If North Korean ICBM has 50% failure rate, firing 8 still means 4 US cities are destroyed.

There is a reason whey why the North Koreans tanks are sitting in caves. Those cave have tunnels attached that emerge over 1 mile behind the front line. A regiment of T72 appearing behind your lines isn't fun. 10 years ago the North wouldn't have stood a chance but with Iraq and Afghanistan most of the American reinforcements are fighting elsewhere. Even if the US decides abandon Afghanistan and Iraq is going to be 4-6 weeks before significant ground units get there. That could be enough time for NK tanks to be sitting in Pusan. It would take 3-4 years to build enough amphibious ships to retake the south. It might be only 25% chance of victory but form an NK generals point of view thats better 100% chance of being put against a wall and shot.
I seen those tunnels (hell Ive been inside them) and you cant fit 3 people wide in them let alone a tank. The US (despite having forces already in South Korea, Okinawa, and other parts of the pacific) wouldnt take 4-6 weeks to get thier it takes about 72 hours at most. North Korea doesnt have long range missile capabilities. They have (at best) short range missiles that could (in about a thousand tries) hit japan let alone go over the north pole and hit the US.Yes, the technology for Chemical/Biological weapons existed before the 50's but when your gun hasnt been clean (let alone fired) in 30 years it isnt going to work. North Korea is a dying country. Roughly 90% of the country is illiterate, and are starving to death. The country cant afford to feed its own people let alone start a war this most of the world. Now yes, all the money/food they do have goes into their army but why would the generals (who live "comfortable" lives) risk losing everything?In short they wouldn't. Yes, Kim Jong-Il is an idiot but he's like the yip-yip dog of world dictators;all bark no bite. The only reason he claims to be searching for nuclear/biological weapons is to get aid so he can continue to play general.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
MortisLegio said:
O

I seen those tunnels (hell Ive been inside them) and you cant fit 3 people wide in them let alone a tank. The US (despite having forces already in South Korea, Okinawa, and other parts of the pacific) wouldnt take 4-6 weeks to get thier it takes about 72 hours at most. North Korea doesnt have long range missile capabilities. They have (at best) short range missiles that could (in about a thousand tries) hit japan let alone go over the north pole and hit the US.Yes, the technology for Chemical/Biological weapons existed before the 50's but when your gun hasnt been clean (let alone fired) in 30 years it isnt going to work. North Korea is a dying country. Roughly 90% of the country is illiterate, and are starving to death. The country cant afford to feed its own people let alone start a war this most of the world. Now yes, all the money/food they do have goes into their army but why would the generals (who live "comfortable" lives) risk losing everything?In short they wouldn't. Yes, Kim Jong-Il is an idiot but he's like the yip-yip dog of world dictators;all bark no bite. The only reason he claims to be searching for nuclear/biological weapons is to get aid so he can continue to play general.

So how did those 200 shells arrive in the south last week, by hand? The nuclear tests that happened in 2006 and 2009 is just myth. The South Korean ship some how blew itself up in March and had nothing to do with a torpedo fired by the north. North Korea hasn't sold the 2000 km range Nodong-2 missile to Iran, Syria, Libya and Pakistan. It didn't test the 5000km range Taepodong-2 in 2009. Nice to know that the missile shipment to Yemen wasn't stopped by the US navy.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
Just paratroop someone with a power level of over 9000 into north Korea.

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
well if it WAS, then NK would be fucked, I mean SK is home to Starcraft and NK barely has operating computers

beniki

May 28, 2009
MortisLegio said:
-snip-
Im not saying this situation is/isnt like starcraft Im saying that North Korea doesnt have the capibility to be a strong threat. Yes they were allies with China but China (more or less) sees them as an annoyance that is best left alone. The reason why I say their missile program is a joke is because they couldnt hit a city if they aimed at it. Sure they might (and I stress might) have the range to get to the target but if you can hit it then you can kill it. not to mention the number of anti aircraft missiles stationed around S.Korea to shoot the buggers down and even if they hit a city (ex. Seoul or Tokyo) the responce would all but annihalate Penyayang. The only real problem with North Korea is China.
I don't know why you think N. Korea is underarmed and incompetent. They have just shelled a residential area which is roughly the same distance from their border as Seoul. They have 100 times more artillery pieces pointed at the S. Korean capital. Even if you were using WW1 canons, it would take 1 hour to level the city. They are using MLRS which they routinely practise with across the DMZ, weekly if not daily.

They can hit Japan, which is why the JSDF keeps so many missile defence platforms, both on land and at sea.

The Americans are worried enough that they're sending a carrier group.

They sank a S. Korean warship, not so long ago.

N. Korea has been snarling across the border for decades, and now it's starting to get desperate. The only thing keeping the country together is the cult of personality about it's dictator. If things get worse, they will have no choice but to strike at S. Korea, just to maintain control.

China would not let an ideologically similar country, right on their border, fall to a capitalist coalition. N. Korea is their ally, they will defend them. They will not allow the possibility of a further US foothold in Korea.

This is a very, very dangerous situation, with a very dangerous country. Do not dismiss it lightly.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
TheAmazingHobo said:
DTWolfwood said:

Sorry, your Sadam comparison is fundamently flawed.
First, Sadam, having the 5th largest army, went up against one of the top 3 armys.
Second, Washington wasn´t within artillery range....
Granted. They still need to learn a lesson or 2 from the Israelis.

MortisLegio

Nov 5, 2008
beniki said:
I don't know why you think N. Korea is underarmed and incompetent. They have just shelled a residential area which is roughly the same distance from their border as Seoul. They have 100 times more artillery pieces pointed at the S. Korean capital. Even if you were using WW1 canons, it would take 1 hour to level the city. They are using MLRS which they routinely practise with across the DMZ, weekly if not daily.

They can hit Japan, which is why the JSDF keeps so many missile defence platforms, both on land and at sea.

The Americans are worried enough that they're sending a carrier group.

They sank a S. Korean warship, not so long ago.

N. Korea has been snarling across the border for decades, and now it's starting to get desperate. The only thing keeping the country together is the cult of personality about it's dictator. If things get worse, they will have no choice but to strike at S. Korea, just to maintain control.

China would not let an ideologically similar country, right on their border, fall to a capitalist coalition. N. Korea is their ally, they will defend them. They will not allow the possibility of a further US foothold in Korea.

This is a very, very dangerous situation, with a very dangerous country. Do not dismiss it lightly.
My US infantrymen's survival handbook for North Korea (if they were to invade) and all the intel that I've read over North Korea makes me think they arent that "big" of a threat but Im not taking them lightly. their leader is insane and might just think they can take on the world because he's believed his own BS about N.K. being "the greatest country ever."
I agreed with you on China but as of right now China doesnt really want to get involved in a war in Korea again (mainly because of economic reasons).Yes they have the range to hit Japan but not the accuracy. Where did you get the idea they had MLRS? they have Russian artillery rockets but the actual MLRS is owned primarily by US and European allies. Anyway I have actually enjoyed talking with you. But we can all agree on one thing...

This isnt Starcraft. Bye