Korean Otaku Marries Anime Body Pillow

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Korean Otaku Marries Anime Body Pillow

A Korean anime fan has proudly tied the knot with a pillowcase featuring the image of his favorite magical girl heroine.

Heavy Rain asked the player, "how far would you go for love?" Would you go so far as to travel to another country? Would you kill a man? Or would you just decide that your soulmate was a fictional character and marry her image printed on a cotton pillowcase?

A Korean otaku opted to go with the last option, wedding a as chronicled on media sites [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dakimakura].

This isn't the first time we've seen die-hard otaku marry fictional characters: A Japanese man named Sal9000 married his virtual girlfriend in dating sim Love Plus back in November [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/96341-Japanese-Man-Marries-Videogame-Girlfriend]. While our natural inclination to these scenarios is to sit back, point and laugh (and boy, do we sit back, point and laugh), it raises some interesting philosophical questions about marrying inanimate objects.

Oh sure, it's not a problem now as long as you're marrying pillowcases and plastic Nintendo DS screens, but what happens when we invent realistic sexbots (other than the extinction of humanity, that is)? What happens when AI becomes sentient? Will convincing a computer to fall in love with us save us when the machines take over?

One has to wonder how long the happy groom will remain happy for - after all, judging by the popular opinion expressed in fanart and fanfiction, his new bride is a total lesbian. On the other hand, it's not like he has to worry about a pillowcase cheating on him, unless you count what happens when he puts her in the washing machine with his other body pillows.

(Sankaku Complex [http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2010/03/05/korean-otaku-marries-fate-testarossa-dakimakura/])

The DSM

Apr 18, 2009
Wow society has fallen a long llloooonnng way.

Possibly longer than long cat...

delet

Nov 2, 2008
... And Gay marriage is still illegal? Please, someone tell me they have gay marriage over there or I may feel the urge to shoot someone.

Stranger of Sorts

Individual #472
Aug 23, 2009
Why is it always the Japanese?

But it can't be a proper marriage can it? There has to be a rule about the bride actually being a human.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
........im going back to bed.
Wake me up when people can think rationally again.

XJ-0461

Mar 9, 2009
Well... that's odd.

But hey, at least he ain't hurting anyone. Apart from maybe his social life.

TheNumber1Zero

Forgot to Remember
Jul 23, 2009
On the brightside, he won't have to worry about old flames.
On the downside, he's going to accidentally rip her open one day and her Entrails (Stuffing) will spill out.

Would that count as murder, or just stupidity?

Mr. Fister

Jun 21, 2008
Furburt said:
Now this isn't racism I'm about to spout, but is it just me or are Korean, Chinese and Japanese nerds just a touch more demented than any other nerds?

I just don't get it, why are they the crazy ones?
You say that like their aren't crazy nerds here.

Gigaguy64 said:
So you never wanna wake up again? Got it.

Gamegodtre

Aug 24, 2009
Resist urge to comment
Resist urge to comment
Resist urge to comment
darn it i just cant resist, does the pillow have a hole?

Del-Toro

Aug 6, 2008
I bet even the most hardcore members of the family values crowd would see this and just give up. I mean at this point it really isn't worth it any more is it?

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Mr. Fister said:
Furburt said:
Now this isn't racism I'm about to spout, but is it just me or are Korean, Chinese and Japanese nerds just a touch more demented than any other nerds?

I just don't get it, why are they the crazy ones?
You say that like their aren't crazy nerds here.

Gigaguy64 said:
So you never wanna wake up again? Got it.
Thanks man.
(grabs a Samus pillow and locks his door)

Asturiel

the God of Pants
Nov 24, 2009
Stranger of Sorts said:
Why is it always the Japanese?

But it can't be a proper marriage can it? There has to be a rule about the bride actually being a human.
Don't both members have to consent to marriage? Hense why you cant marry an animal or child. Maybe the rules are different over there *shrug*
Gigaguy64 said:
How many decades do you wish your comma to last?

OT: This guy is...an odd one...I think something must have happened to his ability to interact with other human beings. But at least he...dated the pillow before he married it...that makes it better right?