Korten's Top 10 Games of 2011

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Well here is my next game list of my Top 10 Games of 2011, enjoy!

For the multiplayer, I say when I look at Battlefield 3 now. Originally I was so hyped for BF3 but it fell flat at many things, mainly the Single-Player. I loved BC2?s SP, it was funny, and had great characters with their own personalities. BF3 was the first game I gave up on the SP, I can?t even remember any of the characters names it was just so boring. Nothing felt exciting; nothing made me want to see what happened next. Now what I do play the game now for is the Multiplayer which while good, I feel is a huge step down from Bad Company 2 which had me addicted so much I played days of time into the multiplayer. In BF3, I don?t think I have even broken the 10 hour mark. But even in those hours, I did have many fun times and really cool moments.

WKC was fun, and so I was really looking forward to WKC2 and when I played it, it was easy to see the improvements in graphics, gameplay and such. While the story is sort of your typical JRPG fair, I enjoyed it despite the clichés, it was a story you could just sit and enjoy rather than one you need to heavily invest into. Though I would have liked it if they had worked on it for a longer time, I didn?t like it how the majority of the zones were from WKC and even many of the NPCs were in the same places and that really annoyed me. But overall it was fun, and I liked it. Wish there will be a WKC3 but I doubt there will be.

I never did play Dead Space 1 aside from the demo, but I loved Dead Space 2, the voice acting was great, and the gameplay was solid. While not scary, I found the story very well done and array of guns which were all fun to use. But I felt there wasn?t a good amount of enemies and later on the game you?re fighting the same enemies but with slightly different looks and that was disappointing. But the game did have me wanting to keep playing to see what happens. On the multiplayer side, I haven?t played it much to judge it.

(Came out 2011 on PC)

A dark tale of puzzles, and horrific scenes, I knew Limbo was dark from the trailers and such but much more so when I actually played it. Scenes of children dying were horrific but kept me intrigued, and while the story isn?t shown by dialogue or cut scenes, it is shown from the environments which I feel is a strong way to tell a story such as Limbo?s. Though it would have been better if some of the puzzles weren?t too time based or has really random solutions that I feel are a bit too hard to find out.

Higher rated than Battlefield 3, what blasphemy is this many of you are probably thinking. Well the thing is, is that I don?t just play the game for the multiplayer but the whole experience. I loved the SP in MW1/2 and wanted to see how things end, and I was wholly satisfied with the conclusion to the story which ended in a very epic way. Then there is also the Co-op, which Survival is a blast, whether it?s playing split-screen or online with a friend, getting to the high number rounds is a blast and very tense. Lastly the multiplayer which it just works, and I feel is a whole lot better than Black Ops which I felt many times I died were due to cheap deaths that were due to bad hit detection, and while MW3 does have a bit of those, it?s not as frequent or bad.

Humor and Puzzles truly do go together, this game was a blast to play and while I did beat it in roughly a day, I savored every minute of it. From the writing, to the cryptic messages, and new puzzle gimmicks, it made it leagues better than Portal 1 which I felt was highly overrated. Portal 2 had tricky puzzles with a great story and voice acting that made me wants to see what happens next and what new puzzles there was to solve.

In the past week, I have gone from level 16 to 68, close to the final level of 74 and it is one of the best indie games I have ever played. While I did ignore the story, it was the gameplay and the loot that made Borderlands look loot less. The art style looks phenomenal and it never gets old to look at, each level was diverse and the weapons were over-the-top and are awesome to wield. What possibly would have made this even better, if it had more weapon styles for each class.

Confession, I never beat Halo: CE, I got really far but then my save file on my PC got screwed up and didn?t feel like playing it again. So when I heard about Anniversary I got very excited and I and my friend planned to do the whole Champaign on Legendary, which we did, and it was so much fun. The gameplay even today felt fresh and tied to the revamped graphics I feel could easily be a game that was made in 2011 rather than a remake of a 2001 game.

It also helped by the Multiplayer which the maps are great, while remakes still feel new and balanced compared to more recent Multiplayer games maps in recent memory. What made this also a great investment were the terminals. As an admitted Halo Fanboy and one who is heavily invested in the Expanded Universe, I loved seeing them and what clues that holds for Halo 4.

I liked Oblivion, I did, hell I even bought it twice, once on the ps3 and on the pc. I shall admit that despite the mods, I never did play it as much as I did on the PS3 version. Like many though I wanted Elder Scrolls V and was amazingly hyped for Skyrim. And while some of my expectations fell flat (some things promised were not there) but overall it was an amazing experience. Skyrim compared to Cyrodiil is much better, and while I do miss those large forests, which I feel Skyrim doesn?t do an as good job at, there is more to see in Skyrim then all of Cyrodiil.

I loved how I could find adventures even in the most random of places. But what made it better overall was the main storyline, Oblivions just wasn?t that good, but in Skyrim I was truly invested and I cared for even some of the characters. And while they may not be the best written, I loved the scale of the story and the epic adventures you had to go on. It would be higher, just maybe if the Dragon fights were actually better; they got boring and tedious really fast.

Back in 09, I named Demon?s Souls my GOTY and for good reason, I absolutely adored the game and for good reason. Now I have eagerly waited for Dark Souls and when I got it, I wasn?t disappointed. In mere days I beat the game and by the end of the second week already had a slamming eighty hours in the game bar, more so than any game I have played this year. Everything from the atmosphere, the level design, to the combat everything felt great. Walking into a new area gave a great sense of exploration, despite the mostly linear play of the levels.

Fighting the bosses and taking one down after thinking it was impossible is still one of the greatest feelings I have ever had when playing a game. If there was one complaint I had with Demon?s Souls was that it was short, and while I did beat Dark Souls faster, that was only due to the fact that I had played Demon?s Souls which heavily prepared me for what I was to encounter. But had I not played Demon?s Souls before, I may have taken much longer to beat the game.

But what I also loved was how different something could have played out or how one took down a boss compared to me. When I began to play, I was on a chat with friends on the escapist which we helped each other and told tales of our adventures and it was all exciting, but no one told the same story twice and to me that what made it so memorizing.

Dues Ex: HR
The Witcher 2
Dragon Age 2
For Dues Ex and The Witcher 2, I like them a lot but I just recently got them and haven?t sunken enough time in them to put them on the list.
Dragon Age 2 I loved but hated the use of the same environments over and over again, if that wasn?t a problem, and then maybe it would have been on the list.
Oh, I forgot to add: Gears of War 3. :D

Hope you enjoy'd the list!

Comment on the list and say what your top 10 or so are!

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
Hey man,

I enjoyed the list. There were a few surprising titles I didn't even think about until I say them in yours.

weker

May 27, 2009
COD is in the list, and it's not the ones before modern warfare 2. So sorry to say but for me instantly equals a bad list in my eyes.

darth jacen

Sith Reviewer
Jul 15, 2009
weker said:
COD is in the list, and it's not the ones before modern warfare 2. So sorry to say but for me instantly equals a bad list in my eyes.
MW3 was a return to the formula applied to COD4 in that there was death of characters that is affecting and not just used as a hammer hits nail sense. Also, the story was much better and as always the mechanics are well tuned. I agree MW2 was not very good, but to use a blanket statement like that is someone asinine in my eyes.

OT: Curious list; I've been meaning to play many of the games on there. Hopefully they are as entertaining as you say.

jason27131

Oct 29, 2009
darth jacen said:
weker said:
MW3 was a return to the formula applied to COD4 in that there was death of characters that is affecting and not just used as a hammer hits nail sense. Also, the story was much better and as always the mechanics are well tuned. I agree MW2 was not very good, but to use a blanket statement like that is someone asinine in my eyes.

OT: Curious list; I've been meaning to play many of the games on there. Hopefully they are as entertaining as you say.

uhhh, in WHAT way was MW3 anything related to COD4? The hit detection is just atrocious since they decided to make the lag compensation incredibly high. The story is terrible, as everything is cliched and any twist in the story completely predictable. Hell, the gameplay isn't even revamped from MW2. There is nothing in the game that would make it on a top 10 list. It's a terrible terrible game that apparently only appeal to cod fans tbh.

weker

May 27, 2009
jason27131 said:
darth jacen said:
weker said:

uhhh, in WHAT way was MW3 anything related to COD4? The hit detection is just atrocious since they decided to make the lag compensation incredibly high. The story is terrible, as everything is cliched and any twist in the story completely predictable. Hell, the gameplay isn't even revamped from MW2. There is nothing in the game that would make it on a top 10 list. It's a terrible terrible game that apparently only appeal to cod fans tbh.
And since when did people care about the single play sections of the modern warfare series lol, since MW2 again they have just been a dangling parasite on each game being churned out.
even if the story has been improved it's still a case on transformers 3 meaning people call it good because it was just better then the last abomination.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
jason27131 said:
darth jacen said:
weker said:

Not to get into any debates but only appeal to Cod fans? I am not that big of a cod fan, I like the games sure, but not enough to die for them like some fans would.

The gameplay works, does no one seem to get that? How would you improve it? Add Vechiles? then you got BF3. Why fix what isn't broken.

Also what games go onto a top 10 list changes for people, and I got enough enjoyment out of the game to warrant being on this list.

weker said:
And since when did people care about the single play sections of the modern warfare series lol, since MW2 again they have just been a dangling parasite on each game being churned out.
even if the story has been improved it's still a case on transformers 3 meaning people call it good because it was just better then the last abomination.
I have always played the SP of the MW games and Black Ops, I love the COD sp's. Sure their stories aren't deep or thought provoking BUT THEY WERE NEVER TRYING TO BE LIKE PEOPLE SAY, they are trying to be action movies that go by set-pieces, nothing more, nothing less.

Geez people are starting to blurr the lines between Fact and Opinion.

jason27131

Oct 29, 2009
Oh dear god. Why fix what's not broken? Hell with that attitude we'll still be playing the same old games and the same old formulas for the next 100+ years. Good bye innovation and creativity.

I miss the days when developers were trying to create sequels and games that are BETTER than their predecessors instead of relying on the same formula for the next 3 sequels because it's "not broken".

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
jason27131 said:
Oh dear god. Why fix what's not broken? Hell with that attitude we'll still be playing the same old games and the same old formulas for the next 100+ years. Good bye innovation and creativity.

I miss the days when developers were trying to create sequels and games that are BETTER than their predecessors instead of relying on the same formula for the next 3 sequels because it's "not broken".
I am sorry, but there is many innovation and creativity that everyone seems to ignore. So what if CoD isn't changing? THATS ONE FRANCHISE.

Also did you play MW3 or did you go: OH IT's LOOKS LIKE MW2 SO IT'S THE SAME HERP DERP.

Did MW2, have Ranking up in Spec Ops, Survival, did MW2 have Point Streaks rather then kill streaks? What are these? OH YEAH FUCKING IMPROVEMENTS.

Sequels have always been SIMILAR TO THE ORIGINAL GAME, THATS WHY IT'S A SEQUEL.

Also you seem to be forgetting one huge fact, do you know what that is? BETTER IS SUBJECTIVE. Something many people seem to forget.

Lastly your complaing about the same thing PEOPLE HAVE BEEN COMPLAINING ABOUT SINCE THE START OF THE GAMING INDUSTRY.

This gerneration it is shooters with little innovation, last genreation, it was lot's of JRPGs that played very much the same, the generation before that, platformers which all copied over each other.

Hell, Mario hasn't innovated in years, it isn't creative, it's using the same ideas over and over again, but yet no one complains.

Just becuase you make a sequel doesn't mean it's going to be radically different from the original. You know why, I ask once more? Becuase it's a sequel, not a remake, not another franchise, but a sequel. Which is usually comes from people wanting more of what they played!

This is the last post I will be making on this topic (not thread, just this discussion.)

weker

May 27, 2009
Korten12 said:
The gameplay works, does no one seem to get that? How would you improve it? Add Vechiles? then you got BF3. Why fix what isn't broken.

Geez people are starting to blurr the lines between Fact and Opinion.
Some people are also unable to tell when a person speaking, is talking of his own opinion and not proposing what he says is fact as well, I don't want to get to the stage where I have to write IMO because some people think it's fact even tho I supply no evidence :D

CoD gameplay does not work. In modern warfare the game play worked, since then the game remains totally broken with the massive overblown kill streaks, I would get into how the game has become focused on the physiological addictive aspects in the game play such as gambling, however currently I have a hangover :D so my mind isn't taking kindly to the prospect of a deep look into the human mind and how call of duty game play effects it.

I would improve the game, by refining the kill streaks so we don't have game destroying ones, or even these chance related one, furthermore I would also attempt to give more value to the actual prestige. In short keep it closer to modern warfare, rather then adding a load of clunky kill streaks and actually bother to ensure the game has been tested correctly so their aren't issues like bad spawning.

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
Nice list despite my disagreement with some title choices. I won't bother with a debate though since this is an opinion list and thus your own choices. However I did notice that your images are way too large for the amount of text in each box. I would tone the images down to a banner size rather than the size you currently have on them.