Kotick: Activision Was Bungie's Only Choice

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Kotick: Activision Was Bungie's Only Choice

Activision's head man said that only his company had the skills and knowledge that Bungie needed to realize its next project.

Activision-Blizzard's expertise will be an indispensible part of Bungie's new project. That's according to Activision CEO Bobby Kotick, who said that Bungie had had "no alternative" but to sign with the publisher.

Speaking at the Bank of America Merrill Lynch's Media, Communications & Entertainment Conference in California, Kotick said that Bungie had realized that it and everyone else in the industry, was "deficient" at providing the services necessary to create "great, competitive products," leaving the studio with no choice other than Activision.

Kotick seemed to suggest that the skill that Bungie had been specifically looking for was customer services acumen, something that Blizzard had in spades. "Blizzard has 2500 people in customer services just for World of Warcraft," said Kotick. "How you train them, how you manage them, how you organize them, how you use CRM tools to be really effective in satisfying the expectations of your audience is something that no other company had."

The mention of Blizzard and World of Warcraft will undoubtedly cause speculation that Bungie is going to launch some kind of MMO. While a product similar to WoW would be quite a departure for the studio, an MMOFPS along the lines of the long-running Planetside is less of a stretch, especially considering the expertise that Bungie has gained in online multiplayer with the Halo series. This is all speculation however, and all we know for definite about Bungie's new project is that the studio is building a new engine [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103430-Bungie-Crafting-Brand-New-Tech-for-Activision-Series] for it.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-09-16-bungie-had-no-choice-but-activision]

Feb 13, 2008
Kotick does for the Games Industry what "Dubya" did for World Peace, what Gordon Brown did for the UK Economy, what Bernard Manning did for Mothers in Law, what BP did for Oil.

Jul 22, 2009
Clearly the studio that made one of the best selling franchises ever only had one choice of publisher.

Shut the hell up Kotick ¬_¬

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
Yep. They had only one choice in the same way Infinity Ward's people had only one choice.

...oh wait! :D

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
I'm seriously getting tired of this ass and his fat ego. I guess MW2 made him overconfident?

Uber Waddles

May 13, 2010
Translation:

LOL WE BOUGHT BUNGIE BEFORE EA COULD LOLOLOLOLOL.

Bungie has enough expertise to pull off FPS's. And their a rather smart group of individuals.

Considering that Activision hardly releases games that dont qualify as "Action Games", unless Bungies going to be making a Guitar Hero game I'm pretty sure they could fend for themselves without Activision's 'expertise' breathing down their necks.

Thinking critically, Bungie makes $$$ with game sales. Activision ALSO makes $$$ with game sales.

Putting the two together can make $$$$$$ game sales. They are both hot companies right now (because of Halo and CoD). Its not a matter of "were awesome, they need us!". Its a matter of "How the hell can we squeeze people for EVEN MORE MONEY?"

Omegatronacles

Guardian Of Forever
Oct 15, 2009
Wow, I'm glad Bobby was there to clear that up. It's obvious now that he's said it that there are no other companies that could support Bungie. And with Activision's reputation for supporting the developers it works with, obviously Bungie have nothing to be worried about.

Oh wait, sorry, I was mistaken. I think Kotick is trying to make up for his absence from news headlines recently by saying as many stupid things as he can think of in the shortest possible time.

OneBig Man

Jul 23, 2008
I hope Bungie doesn't stay with Activision. I always felt that Bungie was always fans first, and Activision as sort of the opposite.

The Admiral

Jul 23, 2008
If you replace "skills and knowledge" with "money and investors", then I think you get the real reason for their deal.

The DSM

Apr 18, 2009
Wow, not only is he a money hungry bastard, hes in love with him self as well.

They could have gone ANYWHERE to get published Kotick, get your head out of your ass ¬_¬

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
Yeah they have the skills and knowledge on how to fart out shit games every day and somehow make them sell.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
sheogoraththemad said:
MercurySteam said:
I'm seriously getting tired of this ass and his fat ego. I guess MW2 made him overconfident?
and he didn't even make it....
No shit, IW developed it but Activision published it. Please tell me you know that right?

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Loonerinoes said:
Yep. They had only one choice in the same way Infinity Ward's people had only one choice.

...oh wait! :D
Saw what you did thear! =D

OT : Well, in a sense I agree - But agan I cant feel that he is jsut using this to stroke his already inflated ego once more...

Jezzascmezza

Aug 18, 2009
I bet the next head line about this douche is going to be:
"Kotick: I'm going to buy the world."

Ralphfromdk

Mar 26, 2009
I'm actually all for Bungie working for Activision :D you know why..?

Here's Bungies plan for their studio:
7 Steps to World Domination.

1 * Start independent gaming software company.
2 * Dominate Mac platform: Launch assault on Windows platform.
3 * Announce killer gaming title.
4 * Acquire strangely addictive Chinese food company.
5 * Recover Ling Ling's head.
6 * Stage bloody coup of new parent company.
7 * Take over World. Shoot enemies into sun with giant slingshot.

They started out fine with one, jumped to number three, then got bold and went straight for number 6!!!!

Here's hoping that the can follow through with their plan :D
If they should succeed, I would be all for them running the world.

*edit* Their coming for you Kotick, just you wait!