Kotick: Activision Was Bungie's Only Choice

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
danpascooch said:
He just called the entire games industry, AND BUNGIE ITSELF DEFICIENT at providing "great, competitive products"

It surprises you that people are pissed?
Not at all. People have to have a villain. But it doesn't surprise me that he said it. He's in business to make money. More precisely, to make more money than everyone else. The same as any other giant, publicly traded company. Of course he's going to adopt a superior attitude concerning his when he's interviewed or is giving a statement.

That said. I personally feel Bungie is deficient at making great products myself but that's neither here nor there.

Delock

Mar 4, 2009
Yep, it turns out that the "respecting gamers" bit yesterday was indeed to counterbalance this egotistical statement, or was it to counter the idea of selling gamers cutscenes?

Anyways, Bungie didn't "need" this deal. If anything, Activision was the one in need. They axed Infinity Ward, are known by gamers as being the company that wants to be what EA unwittingly is, are strangely less well known (Halo made Bungie well known somehow, as I've mentioned the name around nongamers and gotten "They made Halo, right" while they can't remember any Activision game, despite MW2's success), and are competing with equal sized opponents for sales.

If Bungie were to have not signed the deal, I'd almost guarentee that they would be recieving offers from just about every other big name publisher for a deal, several of which could supply them with the customer service resources.

Yes, Activision is successful and has the resources, but it's overly arrogant to say they were the only ones Bungie could have worked with. Kotick has let the success of his developers go to his head and forgotten that it isn't his success that's driving the company.

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
At least now I might actually play Bungie games, though I'm still pissed that they fucked me up the ass with Halo 3 and Reach.

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
OM NOM NOM NOM MONEY!

Cowabungaa said:
Bungie's FPS skills meets Blizzard's MMO skills. Sign me up for that MMOFPS!
-cough- Microsoft tried that and they axed it - Before the company was shuttered, Ensemble Studios had been working on a Halo-themed massively multiplayer online game. The project was cancelled internally in 2007, without a formal announcement from Microsoft.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Lt. Vinciti said:
-cough- Microsoft tried that and they axed it - Before the company was shuttered, Ensemble Studios had been working on a Halo-themed massively multiplayer online game. The project was cancelled internally in 2007, without a formal announcement from Microsoft.
Rumour has it that that was going to be a more traditional MMO ala WoW, which is everything I don't want. I just want a modern PlanetSide.

Ah well, even if they're not going to do that, there's CCP's Dust 514 to look forward to (the fact that they're integrating it with EVE Online only makes that better and more impressive), perhaps The Agency and Firefall as well.

They all seem to be some sort of MMOFPS.

oranger

May 27, 2008
Or y'know, it -could- be that Goldman Sachs (among others) are major investors of Actiblizz...
Anyone seen a Michael Moore movie lately?

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
And this, plus his plans to sell cinematics, comes on the heels of him trumpeting how his oh so benevolent company turns down in game advertisements because they respect the gamer so much? Yeah... >.>

teisjm

Mar 3, 2009
AxCx said:
teisjm said:
AxCx said:
Lets see if Reach outselling Black Ops by millions of copys will shut him up.
It might outsell black op on the 360, but black ops launches for PC and PS3 as well, so by catering to a much larger group of potential costumers (360 users + PS3 users + pc users > 360 users) Black ops have the better odds, when it comes to number of units sold, If you ask me.

Still, that doesn't make Kotic more appealing in any way.
Gah, I guess you are right. I can see Black Ops outselling Reach on 360 as well, to tell the truth. But a man can dream, right?
No you can't. it's both physically impossible, the work of the devil and illegal to booth. Kotic said so, and so will it be.

Wandrecanada

Oct 3, 2008
So... what exactly is Microsoft then? You think for a second that Bungie was the cause behind Halo's ridiculous over-hyped rocket ride to the top? They were already working with a company that does exactly the same thing Activision says it can provide. The only difference is that Microsoft produced games are locked to one console and Activision is not.

It'll be interesting to see if Bungie can actually publish something non Halo while using a new engine. They are pretty much untested on the "new IP" front since Halo: Combat Evolved and have been very stingy on releasing anything with any true innovation since.

Jul 22, 2009
tehroc said:
The best customer service I've ever seen in MMO history was Norwegian developer's Anarchy Online, but they actually used a system that involved players serving as volunteer junior GMs (or GM secretaries). They did tasks like helping new players by just hanging out in the newbie zone answering questions, review you in case you needed some restore, hands on bug reporting (sure we can all report bugs but not every knows how to write a proper bug report), etc. This actually resulted in GMs being able to expediently resolve issues.
Oh wow Anarchy Online, I haven't played that in god knows how long...

And yeah customer support in that game was brilliant.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Cowabungaa said:
Bungie's FPS skills meets Blizzard's MMO skills. Sign me up for that MMOFPS!
Actually I wouldn't mind if Blizzard instead shared their RTS skills. Something Bungie obviously is lacking in.
Danzaivar said:
Bungie team up with Blizzard and actually make Starcraft Ghost...hmm...

Yeah, I could live with that.
That would work.

Chappy

May 17, 2010
I think Kotick has got himself confused, Bungie has plenty of options aside from joining up with him and Activision.

It's his over inflated ego that had the only option that they had to sign up with him and Activision less he find out he isn't all powerful and his brain has a meltdown.

Woodsey - I've played both CoD Modern Warfare 2 and Reach and though reach has only been out for three days I still think it has less bugs than Activisions last 'Best Seller' so I wouldn't be suprised if it makes more over time with DLC.