Kotick Admits Activision's Spider-Man Games "Sucked"

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
...This feels a bit like watching a KKK member saying how much he loves and respects black people, especially their culture...

It's not bad... It's just so out of character it's hard to believe...

... Good. Let's hope it stays this way.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Irridium said:
I remember the spiderman game for the PS1.
That game kicked ass, and was full of unlockables.
I think that was one of the few I also enjoyed

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
The_Oracle said:
Casual Shinji said:
That son of a *****.

First he makes shitty games and then gleefully admits that they're shitty.
He's not exactly gleeful about it. He just said they didn't do well.
Well, he always looks gleeful in those frickin' mugshots.

I can't picture him without that stupid grin.

SharedProphet

Oct 9, 2008
Targeting Metacritic scores is backwards anyway; consider that Metacritic scores can be unrelated to whether the game is good.

A better goal would be to target a 4.5 or higher average customer rating on Amazon, or target the customer review scores on Metacritic.

AgentNein

Jun 14, 2008
sunami88 said:
I'm glad they didn't mention Spiderman 2. That game freaking rocked (and was probably the last spidey game I played).
Very few games can I have fun with merely navigating the game-world for hours. Spiderman 2 is up there with nearly every Mario.

-Drifter-

Jun 9, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
I think that one moment of clarity from Ko-dick doesn't make up for treating his target customers like cattle. Or his staff.
Agreed. Maybe if he keeps up this attitude, we can all forget what a dick he's been, but otherwise, he'll still be a worthy hate-figure.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
Ten bucks said someone clued Kotick in to the whole "your bottom line will suffer in the long run if your company has a reputation for shoveling out crap" fact of life. Even EA figured this out, fercrissakes.

Come to think of it, wasn't it one of Kotick's underlings who just made exactly that observation this past week?

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
Oh, NOW he wakes up from hibernation. Did this guy have his head stuck in the ground or something? I have done a review on the PSone Spiderman. This, Spiderman The Movie, Spiderman 2 and Ultimate Spiderman were truly spectacular. But when the time came for next gen, they flopped. Why? Because of COD, WOW and Guitar Hero(es). Since they make more than enough money from these titles, they will not bother to make any more good Spiderman games. I beg each and every day for a decent Spiderman game but I seriously doubt they will deliver because apart from WOW, we will also have Starcraft II this year. Even more indifference. MMORPGs killed my favorite superhero game franchise and that is one of the reasons I do not play WOW or anything similar.

God help me so I will get proven wrong but I have literally lost faith in Activision for a good title with the Webslinger.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
SimuLord said:
Ten bucks said someone clued Kotick in to the whole "your bottom line will suffer in the long run if your company has a reputation for shoveling out crap" fact of life. Even EA figured this out, fercrissakes.

Come to think of it, wasn't it one of Kotick's underlings who just made exactly that observation this past week?
If you mean Blizz COO Paul Sams, then yes. Since Vivendi (which owns Blizzard) has a controlling stake in the ActiBlizz merger, then I don't know if you'd really call him an "underling," though. Colleague, perhaps?

katsabas said:
Oh, NOW he wakes up from hibernation. Did this guy have his head stuck in the ground or something? I have done a review on the PSone Spiderman. This, Spiderman The Movie, Spiderman 2 and Ultimate Spiderman were truly spectacular. But when the time came for next gen, they flopped. Why? Because of COD, WOW and Guitar Hero(es). Since they make more than enough money from these titles, they will not bother to make any more good Spiderman games. I beg each and every day for a decent Spiderman game but I seriously doubt they will deliver because apart from WOW, we will also have Starcraft II this year. Even more indifference. MMORPGs killed my favorite superhero game franchise and that is one of the reasons I do not play WOW or anything similar.

God help me so I will get proven wrong but I have literally lost faith in Activision for a good title with the Webslinger.
Wait, what does StarCraft II from one developer have to do with another developer making another game in an entirely different franchise?

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
I think that one moment of clarity from Ko-dick doesn't make up for treating his target customers like cattle. Or his staff.
Or for suing Double Fine in an attempt to block the release of Brutal Legend. I'll never forgive him for his attempts to stop the metal.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
What?

Web of Shadows is/was a great game, i'm still playing it now.

I'm jonesing for a new one though, and the game did have it's faults. SO GET BACK TO WORK BOBBY.

CD-R said:
Or for suing Double Fine in an attempt to block the release of Brutal Legend. I'll never forgive him for his attempts to stop the metal.
To be fair, as much as I loved Brutal Legend, I can't blame Activision for not publishing the game. Sueing to stop it was a bit wierd but probably the work of over zealous lawyers. But not publishing it? Well, lets face it. Brutal Legend was a good experiance, but not a good game.

toapat

Mar 28, 2009
The Rogue Wolf said:
What is the name of the parasitic alien brain worm that has infested Bobby Kotlick, and where can I go to worship it?
its called Blizzard entertainment.

a company that paid over 18 billion dollars that would have otherwise gone into wallpapering houses to buy 2 large game developers for shits and giggles.

PhunkyPhazon

Dec 23, 2009
What? Who the hell is this asswipe and why haven't I heard of him? (I haven't been following Activision-related news lately) First things first, on a personal note, I loved all those games. Friend or Foe was kid oriented, but it got the job done considering the audience.

Second, while it is true that the last several Spidey games have gotten some poor reviews, the general consensus on Metacritic for most of these titles is around 70%, which is far from being bad. (Web of Shadows on DS was especially kick-ass. Heck, most DS Spidey games tend to be pretty good regardless)

Am I really the only one here who doesn't think this is 'refreshing'? I guess it's nice to hear a CEO say they could do better, but to say all recent Spidey games sucked seems a bit too much. (Not to mention that Ultimate has quite the fanbase)