Kotick Fingers DJ Hero for Guitar Hero's Demise

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Typical Kotick; blaming everyone but himself for Guitar Hero's fall. "It was DJ Hero's fault. I was so stupid; I should have seen the signs and kept that awful game off the market. Now an entire franchise and genre is dead. Stupid DJ Hero..."

They fact that they bought out their rivals, DJ Scratch, and fired all of them to create a monopoly for DJ Hero probably didn't help either.

MindBullets

Apr 5, 2008
It might have just been Guitar Hero losing its novelty. That's how I feel. I don't hate the games, even for their over abundance of cash-ins (doesn't stop me from enjoying CoD). I just lost interest in them.

Maybe it was just a fad, whose time has now passed.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
no I think it was crappy Guitar Hero games that did it hahaa

Rock Band's doing...okay, altho they've started to pump out less than stellar stuff too. still better than Guitar Hero (3 and onwards) tho

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
I personally think that the lack of new music licenses is what did it. They were at the point where they were reusing songs and not very many people want to play 2000's pop music in guitar hero.

GIVE ME GUITAR HERO JUDAS PRIEST!

Ne1butme

Nov 16, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
But he also reaffirmed that Guitar Hero is not dead, just resting for awhile.
Surprised that he didn't start going on about the franchise's beautiful plumage.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
For.I.Am.Mad said:
Yeah, it had nothing to do with flooding the market.
Absolutely not.

*plays Guitar Hero: Modern Lovers Edition*

Further, if it was DJ hero's fault, which I doubt, it makes no sense to pull the Guitar Hero franchise in response. I mean, I know the last game sold poorly. This is why I doubt it was DJ hero that was the problem.

I think there's a couple major problems with DJ HEro:

1. I don't think there's the same market, TBH. It's not just about the ease of which one can be a DJ in the real world, but the overlap of DJs and gamers. I think the reason GH took off is because it fit a niche on the venn diagram of gamers. That's not to say nobody liked DJH or it was bad or there as NO market, but they expected another Guitar Hero. And were willing to push it til it broke.

2. Cost vs benefit: Not only could you get your own gear for the cost of the game, you could get a dual deck table. I don't know why they left this element out, because single-decks are kind of...Lame. I know Guitar Hero Guitars are stripped down, but they're still essentially the whole instrument simulated. I think you're missing half the experience with DJH.

3 Timing. Guitar Hero was already in a slump. It didn't need ten iterative titles, and it didn't need a new franchise to further saturate or even possibly compete with it. Makes blaming DJH even funnier.

I sometimes wonder if Bobby is just trolling us when he says stuff like this.

-|-

Aug 28, 2010
He might be full of shit in a general sense, but most people are still actually agreeing with him here.

He's not saying DJ Hero caused Guitar Hero to fail. He's saying as a company they backed the wrong product. i.e. they spent most of their cash DJ hero, and next to nothing on Guitar Hero. Nobody bought DJ Hero (the reason why this is is actually irrelevant), and because they didn't invest in Guitar Hero, nobody wanted that anymore either.

I can't really see why this is so controversial.

sharinganblossom25

Jan 2, 2011
DJ Hero looked very stupid and pointless. But, hey, I never played it. It could be a good game, for all I know. But seriously, when most gamers already have the guitars, the microphone, and the drum set for Guitar Hero, was Kodick REALLY expecting them to go out and pay every penny for an entire turn table for DJ Hero? I don't think so.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Micalas said:
With all the time Kotick spends with his thumb up his bum, I doubt DJ Hero is all he's been fingering for failure.
the best response ive ever heard

Outlaw Torn

Dec 24, 2008
Didn't Activision say DJ Hero wasn't a failure, just a slow starter? Now it's a failure responsible for a different game's popularity collapsing? It's like they don't know what they are talking about...

We just have to wait until they create Call of Duty: Ancient Warfare which will require you to buy a $2000 suit of armour peripheral, which will ultimately fail and thus be responsible for Activision's other Modern Warfare clones dieing off. Assuming 12 year olds stop buying them, which will never happen.

EDIT:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103787-DJ-Hero-Dev-F-cking-Mad-to-Call-Game-a-Failure

There you go, the developers are calling their boss "fucking mad". Go Bobby, fire them! FIRE THEM ALL (including yourself)!

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Yeah, because Guitar Hero's downfall wasn't oversaturation of the market in such a small timeframe, competitors that added things to the experience, lack of DLC and the ability to transfer old songs into newer iterations of the series, and increasingly awful soundtracks as the series went on...wait, what?

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
-|- said:
He might be full of shit in a general sense, but most people are still actually agreeing with him here.

He's not saying DJ Hero caused Guitar Hero to fail. He's saying as a company they backed the wrong product. i.e. they spent most of their cash DJ hero, and next to nothing on Guitar Hero. Nobody bought DJ Hero (the reason why this is is actually irrelevant), and because they didn't invest in Guitar Hero, nobody wanted that anymore either.

I can't really see why this is so controversial.
Because he's still using a scapegoat. Instead of coming out and just saying, "Hey, sorry, we done goofed." He said, "IT HAPPENED BECAUSE OF DJ HERO!"

No, they could have easily co-existed. ActiviBlizzard has the money, hell they don't actually pay their employees evidently, so really, they should have tons of money.

Maybe it is because the most recent GH games were subpar at best, maybe it's because you were forcing them out the door year after year. Maybe it's because the market was flooded with the same game.

Goddamn, I hope he kills CoD the same way, then his only cash cows will be Blizzard games and hopefully Blizzard can get the hell out.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
So, he's throwing DJ Hero under the bus for this?

I didn't think DJ Hero was that bad and I don't see how it had anything to do with how poor Guitar Hero was doing. And it was trying way too hard to be Rock Band, GH: World Tour was ridiculous.

I have no idea what Kotick is talking about.

Jan 29, 2009
What I think happened was that everyone liked it for a while, but then the people who stopped liking it stopped playing it, and the people who REALLY liked it realized how much cooler it would be if they actually got a guitar.

For.I.Am.Mad

May 8, 2010
-|- said:
I've seen CNN and Msnbc and Fox News use that 'Some people say' statement also. You know Yahtzee also blankly blamed DJ Hero too, hmmmm.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
Goddamn... hip-hop culture can't catch a fucking break for nothing.

That's all right... one day in this lifetime or this next, I'm gonna make my very own fighting game, replete with hip-hop inspired designs abound, from music to character illustrations.

And it will be glorious.