Kotick Wishes Xbox Live Was More Open

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Allow me to translate.

Effectivly, Kotick wants to add a subscription to Call of Duty. However, he cannot, because he's being cockblocked by the fact that Microsoft already charges a sub for online multiplay via Xbox Live. Marketing obviously knows that consumers would be Unwilling/Unable to pay an additional fee.

Kotick can't control microsoft and get what he want's, so he's stamping his foot and huffing.

Now, a subscription based service wouldn't necessarily be bad if they could add substantial value for it. Add a metagame, improved matchmaking, freind services, dedicated servers, etc.

What most don't understand is Kotick is tremendously popular with the business men and stockholders because he's a ruthless moneysniping bastard. Thats the kind of businessman business people want in charge. My personal beliefs about finance aside (Kotick is a moron and part of an endemic culture of greed that is destroying America's economic system), those are the kind of men who are successful.

Silver Patriot

Aug 9, 2008
Logan Westbrook said:
"We've heard that 60 per cent of [Microsoft's] subscribers are principally on Live because of Call of Duty," said Kotick. "We don't really participate financially in that income stream. We would really like to be able to provide much more value to those millions of players playing on Live, but it's not our network."
Somehow I doubt that, and if it is true it will only be until Halo: Reach comes out.

You know if this was anyone else I would be inclinded to agree with them. Look at Valve for example. They are now working with the PS3 and bringing STEAM to it but the Xbox is suposedly left out in the cold. Why? Xbox Live is not open enough. It annoys me. So maybe Kotick is saying it for the wrong reasons but he may b. . . he has a. . . he could be r. . . ri . . . rrrrrrr UUUUGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!
I can't say it. My brain can't process those words in a sentence together.

Ekonk

Apr 21, 2009
compelling experience

What is compelling about PAYING FOR SOMETHING THAT USED TO BE FREE????? ARE WE THE ONLY ONE WHO SEE WHAT MADNESS THIS IS!!!!!!

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
I hate Kotick as much as the next guy but what he is saying is absolutely true. What the leading cause of lack of MMOs games on the console? Microsoft's complete control of the network. It's not that they cant charge a sub fee, it's that Microsoft has the final say on any product distributed across Xbox Live. Personally I think the only thing poster's a responding with is bile towards Kotick and ignores the point he is trying to make, but then haters gotta hate.

Imagine if Blizzard had to submit every patch for WOW through Microsoft. It would be a nightmare for both parties.

Autofaux

Aug 31, 2009
There is some kind of middle ground. EA's Online Pass.

A lot of people play MW2 on Live, and no doubt a lot of them are playing used copies. On some level he has to be recouping the losses on each copy sold used by Gamestop. He can't turn CoD into some weird MMO subscription service, so why not encourage them to buy new using that initiative?

Oh right, because he's not just content with 10 dollars per copy. Silly me.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
You know what Kotick. Prove it, make your own console and slap prices on there, just for call of duty.

If that works, then you can talk.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
I don't even want to imagine what Xbox Live would be like if Kotick took it over... there would probably be a fee for every button you press and reading and sending messages would cost 800 Activision Points a piece...

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
I'd like to know who runs Activision's PR department, if they even have one. Whoever does probably should quit now before their resume is permanently tainted if it isn't already.

pyrus7

Mar 16, 2010
I'm surprised that people are upset that corporations want to make as much money as possible. If anything, this is the kind of news that shareholders want to hear.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Compelling experience? What experience would that be? Managing your money because you're broke from paying for your COD sub?

IxionIndustries

Mar 18, 2009
pyrus7 said:
I'm surprised that people are upset that corporations want to make as much money as possible. If anything, this is the kind of news that shareholders want to hear.
Yeah, but it's kind of bad whenever your CEO says shit like "We want to charge more, more MORE!"

And besides, we're gamers, not fucking shareholders.

dogstile said:
You know what Kotick. Prove it, make your own console and slap prices on there, just for call of duty.

If that works, then you can talk.
He has enough cash up his ass to do that. I'm surprised he hasn't done it yet.

Ekonk said:
compelling experience

What is compelling about PAYING FOR SOMETHING THAT USED TO BE FREE????? ARE WE THE ONLY ONE WHO SEE WHAT MADNESS THIS IS!!!!!!
Believe me, I see it too. Multiplayer and servers used to be free, and they should stay that way.

Meoith

Jun 18, 2010
Shycte said:
While I dislike Kotick just like the other guy, remember people that they aren't there for public service. They are there to make money just like any other company in the world.
Making as much money is a given, we all know thats what. The problem is Bobby Kopr**k is only doing half his job, most of his public comments seem to be directed at Activisons shareholders rather than Activisons customers.

Fire Daemon

Quoth the Daemon
Dec 18, 2007
Logan Westbrook said:
"We've heard that 60 per cent of [Microsoft's] subscribers are principally on Live because of Call of Duty," said Kotick.
60% of subscribers are there because of Call of Duty now. In a few months they'll be on there because of Halo: Reach and a few months after that they'll be on because of Gears of War 3.

Theres no doubt that Call of Duty is a successful franchise and probably has sold a large amount of Gold accounts but sixty percent is a stretch and even if it wasn't Kotick still doesn't deserve to see a penny from Microsoft. Should tyre manufacturers pay car companies for the privilege of getting them sales? NO! That would be retarded!

Dr Megadeth

May 23, 2010
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101552-Kotick-Only-30-of-Activisions-Profits-Come-from-Consoles

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101503-Kotick-Wants-Call-of-Duty-Subscriptions-Tomorrow

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
Apackof12Ninjas said:
Balance MW2's broken guns glitchs etc. Then we'll talk.
Or better yet, tear down the walled garden that you call "Modern Warfare 2 multiplayer on the PC" and stop trying to turn the PC into a console. Then we can talk.

RaQin

Jul 6, 2010
Booby Kotick is a loudmouth hotshot who is about to write some checks that Activition can't cash. He is saber-rattling with Sony to give him the access that Microsoft wont give him. If they can't see this then they are as silly as he is (...even Gabe Newell/Valve couldn't resist the PS3 for the duration).

Kotick's decisions in the last year show up with a lot of negatives. This latest spew comes on the heals of 2010Q2 bad decisions with Infinity Ward, and today he is talking about how bad things will be with MS's Kinect and Sony's Move. When he speaks to the public we need to remember that this is the man who out of one side of his mouth says, "Activision remains committed to the Call of Duty franchise..." yet out of the other side say his company never really wanted the most financially successful SINGLE entertainment title ever created. Activation is going to suffer under his repeated foolish decisions; their most lucrative human capital has left the building, and the warchests will slowly dwindle on the heels of the departing talent.

Now consider that he wants access and special treatment, or insists that other companies should take his risks for his profits...In my eyes he is a damned lucky exec, who throws around a lot of crap every quarter or so to see who will bite. And while his latest statements will be in/validated by the press in the next few days, I will go out on a limb and say that his statements are probably just hip-shot-suppositions. It is highly unlikely that a full 60% of XBox Live Gold accounts are there ONLY for or due to MW.

I say this is the CEO most-likely-to-be-replaced in 2011 if not sooner. I think it is ironic that he is asking for access supposedly brought-on by the power of a title that Activition didn't want, and I hope he is replaced before Activition loses more human/creative assets. If you can't produce a quality product for a franchise, the IP is useless (except in a sell-off). The Board needs to fire Kotick before his mouth damages Activition.

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
Its not enough that the people pay for their internet connections, xbox LIVE AND games just to play online... NOOOOOO, clearly we need to slap another charge on top of that... It wont result in MUCH lower sales of the game you have the subscription fee for, obviously(!)

Greedy arsehole, if he wants money for the contribution he is making toward getting Microsoft sales of Xbox LIVE then he needs to talk to Microsoft about getting paid... not us, we already paid the greedy shitbag.