KotOR 1 & 2...thoughts on mods?

TimeLord75

Sep 3, 2009
I recently acquired brand-spanking-new copies of KotOR 1 & 2 and am looking to get back into the best RPG I ever played...and maybe navigate past the soul-crushing bugs of TSL. Anyone have any thoughts/recommendations about what mods/updates/patches I should use for this new installation? My PC is running Windows 7 Ultimate btw, and I'm already planning on using Compatibility Mode (XP SP2, probably). Thanks in advance!

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
I've never really used any mods with the first Kotor save for one which unlocked a cut ending for the game. Playing as a female Reven and pursuing the romance with Carth, one of the possible endings was essentially allow yourself to die knowing that the lure of the dark side was too great and it was inevitable you'd fall once again. Very sentimental and dramatic in one of those tragic ending sort of ways, very cool!

Still I can understand why they cut it considering it meant Revan died at the end, which wouldn't have made Kotor 2 make much sense. But still, neat ending.

For Kotor 2 however the Restored Content Mod is absolutely essential. So much so I'd say the game isn't worth replaying without it. That mod essentially takes everything Obsidian had meant to do but didn't have the time to complete, and finished it for them. And damn is it an improvement! Say what you will about their Q&A, but those Obsidian folk craft some of the best story in the gaming industry.

Suijen

Apr 15, 2009
The Madman said:
Say what you will about their Q&A, but those Obsidian folk craft some of the best story in the gaming industry.
This pretty much explains Obsidian: excellent story-telling and enough bugs to give an entomologist a power boner.

TeletubbiesGolfGun

Sep 7, 2012
Anthraxus said:
The Madman said:
I've never really used any mods with the first Kotor save for one which unlocked a cut ending for the game. Playing as a female Reven and pursuing the romance with Carth, one of the possible endings was essentially allow yourself to die knowing that the lure of the dark side was too great and it was inevitable you'd fall once again. Very sentimental and dramatic in one of those tragic ending sort of ways, very cool!

Still I can understand why they cut it considering it meant Revan died at the end, which wouldn't have made Kotor 2 make much sense. But still, neat ending.

For Kotor 2 however the Restored Content Mod is absolutely essential. So much so I'd say the game isn't worth replaying without it. That mod essentially takes everything Obsidian had meant to do but didn't have the time to complete, and finished it for them. And damn is it an improvement!
Are there any mods that increase the difficulty of combat which are compatible with the RCM for KotOR 2 ?

I always found the combat WAY too easy in these KotOR games (especially for RtwP) to the point where it bored me. I know they're more about story elements, but it would be nice if i could get some satisfaction out of the combats too.
http://knightsoftheoldrepublic.filefront.com/file/K1_and_TSL_Difficulty_Options;77377

used this once years ago, it helped a bit (i'm not one for crazy difficulty, so don't rely too heavily on my opinion, just saying they are out there.)

plus alot of the mods for the restored/added content have their own difficulty bar set, such as the droid planet and stuff.

TeletubbiesGolfGun

Sep 7, 2012
Anthraxus said:
The Madman said:

For Kotor 2 however the Restored Content Mod is absolutely essential. So much so I'd say the game isn't worth replaying without it. That mod essentially takes everything Obsidian had meant to do but didn't have the time to complete, and finished it for them. And damn is it an improvement!
Are there any mods that increase the difficulty of combat which are compatible with the RCM for KotOR 2 ?

I always found the combat WAY too easy in these KotOR games (especially for RtwP) to the point where it bored me. I know they're more about story elements, but it would be nice if i could get some satisfaction out of the combats too.
woops forgot about this one, this one i actually did enjoy, it goes more in depth on changing stats and whatnot of how things work:

http://knightsoftheoldrepublic.filefront.com/file/Super_Enhanced_Mod_for_both_KOTOR_TSL;69389

just wanted to make sure you saw it