KOTOR III Would Have Finished Revan's Story

JazzJack2

Feb 10, 2013
Soviet Heavy said:
What? No, no. I'm the biggest fan of KOTOR 2 on this site next to J.E.F.F.E.R.S and even I won't say that the unmodded KOTOR 2 ending wasn't anything other than a messy, broken dungeon. KOTOR 1's ending had a unique location (The star Forge is really cool), a well thought out boss fight, and a nice homage to the medal ceremony from A New Hope.
The Star Forge may have been an interesting idea but the actual execution of it was awful, all you did was get swarmed by enemies then proceeded to the next area to get swarmed by even more and so on and so oo until you got into a piss easy fight with malak for him to spout of some generic bad guy dialogue while he dies.

The only thing that KOTOR 2's unmodded ending had was Kreia's prophecies about your companions, even fortelling the fall of the Mandalorians at the hand of Mace Windu.
Thats still considerably better than KoToR's ending to it's story which was nothing more than yay you saved the day good job everything is great now! or oh no you've turned evil and everything will be bad forever and ever.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
shintakie10 said:
Part of my annoyance with 1s ending was just how generic it was. It's still the same generic Bioware swill as ever with the same vanilla flavor, just this time with lightsabers. Even if KOTOR 2's ending was just a very confusing mishmash of random stuff, at least it was a confusing mishmash of something different.
In that case, I'd stick with the dungeon that is actually functional. I do not want to go through the disastrous section where you play as Remote again. If you miss killing *one* Storm Beast, then you are screwed, since Remote can take one hit and then die. And all of it is dropped as soon as you regain control of the Exile. That whole GOTO subplot goes nowhere without the Restoration Mod.

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
*facepalm* Now why did you have to go and kick the hornets' nest leaning against the dead horse? The comments are just going to be hatred towards TOR, bitching about the lack of KoTOR 3, and - you guessed it - even more moaning about the prequels.

*sigh* Better see if there are any Cold War bunkers nearby I can stay in for the next few hours.

Off-topic: dish can kiss my ass.

CatmanStu

Jul 22, 2008
What I loved about KOTOR 2 was the way it shat all over Biowares notion of the universe having a binary moral code; this action is light, this one is dark. Trying to impress Kreia was always confusing while at the same time very darkly amusing. When it comes to creating a story that incorporates multiple choices nobody is better in the industry than Obsidian and only CDProjekt Red are on the same level.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
I liked the story of Revan. Now i want a KOTOR3. Make this happen disney! Would rather they make games that are great by studios that are passionate than just getting the lowest bidder to make a generic game for money. 1313 looked interesting. KOTOR3 would always be welcome after the last two games as would a Battle Front game. I hope Disney doest milk this franchise and allow amazing developers the time to make awesome games.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
A fuckin' tragedy of epic proportions. EA just had to sink $200 million on an MMO. Fuckin' idiots thought that making a WoW clone with Star Wars skin pack will turn out to be a WoW killer. Delusional bunch of greedy short-sighted psychos.

Does anybody else think that certain Star Wars video games like KOTOR and Jedi Knight have better stories than the actual movies? And I'm talking about the old ones as well.

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
Wait, they would have finished Revan's story? With Lord Scourge and everything?

Thebazilly

Jul 7, 2010
Reading this thread physically hurt me. I enjoyed SWTOR for a little while, but I realize it's not good. Definitely no Obsidian-made KOTOR 3.

SonOfVoorhees said:
I liked the story of Revan. Now i want a KOTOR3. Make this happen disney! Would rather they make games that are great by studios that are passionate than just getting the lowest bidder to make a generic game for money. 1313 looked interesting. KOTOR3 would always be welcome after the last two games as would a Battle Front game. I hope Disney doest milk this franchise and allow amazing developers the time to make awesome games.
Disney gave EA the rights to Star Wars video games. Every new Star Wars game will be made by EA from now on. There will never be a KOTOR 3. There will never be anything even close to KOTOR quality ever again.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Thebazilly said:
Reading this thread physically hurt me. I enjoyed SWTOR for a little while, but I realize it's not good. Definitely no Obsidian-made KOTOR 3.

SonOfVoorhees said:
Disney gave EA the rights to Star Wars video games. Every new Star Wars game will be made by EA from now on. There will never be a KOTOR 3. There will never be anything even close to KOTOR quality ever again.
Talk about destroying my dreams.....would of been easier if you came to my house and set me on fire. When i wrote that comment you quoted i had EA in my mind as they bleed franchises dry and make crap cheap games to cash in on a license. I fear the next Starwars games will be akin to that Thor movie game.....one of the few games i stopped playing because i couldnt force myself to play it anymore.

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
Adam Jensen said:
A fuckin' tragedy of epic proportions. EA just had to sink $200 million on an MMO. Fuckin' idiots thought that making a WoW clone with Star Wars skin pack will turn out to be a WoW killer. Delusional bunch of greedy short-sighted psychos.

Does anybody else think that certain Star Wars video games like KOTOR and Jedi Knight have better stories than the actual movies? And I'm talking about the old ones as well.
Yes. KOTOR II asked questions about the force that wouldn't have done well in the movies. Also, certain characters are distinctly non-star wars, like GOTO. Everything that came out of that droid's mouth was brilliance and total pragmatism, the likes of which would never fit Lucas' light side dark side vision.

The game actually went on to attempt to convince you, the player, that the force itself was something bad. There were about 3 or 4 different ways the game did this.

But, I think the most brilliant thing KOTOR II did was establish a dark setting without being gritty and slipping into grimdark. It was still Star Wars, and that was special.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
lax4life said:
Wait, they would have finished Revan's story? With Lord Scourge and everything?
No, without Lord Scourge, or Emperor Vitiate. That stuff was all crapped out by Drew Karpyshin when he decided that his talents would be better suited to novels than games. (Here's a hint, every Star Wars book he has shat out has trampled over far better stories that were already made).

This would have focused on the True Sith as the almost otherworldly force, the original Sith from the time of Naga Sadow and Marka Ragnos. Masters of the Force, not the reskinned Galactic Empire from TOR.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
I think KOTOR II's end dungeon was more interesing. KOTOR's may have been more functional, but it was also dull as dishwater. Easily the worst part of the game. KOTOR II's ending, abrupt as it was, still served as the culmination of a lot of the game's themes, and ties up some of the more interesting plot threads. If I recall, it's where Kreia really starts being honest about how she views the Force.

And besides, Scion's breakdown is fucking phenomenal if you play as a female character. Easily one of my favourite Star Wars villains, and they wrote him so well at the ending.
I do like Scion's breakdown, but the Trayus Academy and Malachor V in general are just so unbearably drab and uninspired that actually playing the planet is painful. The Star Forge had a nice color palette, and it was cool seeing the huge factory built Sith Fighters floating out of the production facilities. And despite the boss rush of Sith troopers and Dark Jedi, there was still some nice side sections to shake things up. The Droid Room, the armory where you could create powerful late game armor, and the Sith Master Trio if you sided with Bastila were all nice change ups.

Malachor at release had only the boss rush and Scion.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Jadak said:
Cognimancer said:
Evidently, this third game would have featured KOTOR II's protagonist following in the footsteps of Darth Revan to unravel a sinister galactic conspiracy.
Considering that's where the book [http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-The-Republic-Revan/dp/0345511352] goes with the story, and that it was done by the main author behind KOTOR , I think it's safe to say that that storyline has effectively been covered and we're not missing out on anything anymore.

Still would have been nice to have in game form though...
well, it's one thing to merely read about a person who uncovers the ancient sith empire and proceeds to save the galaxy/shove their boot up its ass and declare themselves the new emperor, but it's another thing entirely to get the chance to personally deep fry or drop kick every last living sith within reaching distance

Reincarnatedwolfgod

Jan 17, 2011
I would proffer if I was not told about this. I would not call kotor 2 of my favorite games but it is a worthy mention. It just makes me kind of sad knowing a third kotor could have existed.

llubtoille

Apr 12, 2010
If it lead down to the same ending where the current lore sits, I think I'm somewhat happy I'll never get to play it.
Not a fan of 'whelp... you lose, and it was all for naught' endings.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Soviet Heavy said:
shintakie10 said:
Part of my annoyance with 1s ending was just how generic it was. It's still the same generic Bioware swill as ever with the same vanilla flavor, just this time with lightsabers. Even if KOTOR 2's ending was just a very confusing mishmash of random stuff, at least it was a confusing mishmash of something different.
In that case, I'd stick with the dungeon that is actually functional. I do not want to go through the disastrous section where you play as Remote again. If you miss killing *one* Storm Beast, then you are screwed, since Remote can take one hit and then die. And all of it is dropped as soon as you regain control of the Exile. That whole GOTO subplot goes nowhere without the Restoration Mod.
Man, I've really got to get around to playing the full game again with the mod sometime... even back on the Xbox almost a decade ago, I still liked II over the first one, so I can only imagine how much I'll probably adore the thing after getting to experience it in its full glory.

It's too bad I've got all these other games to play still...

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
Cognimancer said:
Epic, indeed. KOTOR III almost certainly won't be revived at this point, since many of its ideas were either incorporated into or overwritten by the Old Republic MMO.
I just hope it wasn't Avallone's idea to give the player dark side points for forcing a brainwashed captive out of a cave littered with human remains, 'cause damn, she was just really convincing that she wanted to stay.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Cognimancer said:
"I always liked the idea that Revan ... was actually even more of a brilliant strategist than became apparent in the first game," says Obsidian's Chris Avellone. The second game implies that Revan may have discovered a vast threat on the edge of the galaxy - which apparently would have been an ancient, immensely powerful Sith empire.
I wanted to see that too. I wanted to find out just what sort of threat would drive Reven to do what he did, you know leading the Sith to conquer the Republic. What sort of threat could be so great that that was the only way he could think of to combat it? That question was gnawing at me ever since I first finished KOTOR II, and now I'll never know.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Who didn't greenlight KOTOR3? WHO??

We have to know what person's window is asking for a brick