KOTOR III Would Have Finished Revan's Story

thehorror2

Jan 25, 2010
shintakie10 said:
thehorror2 said:
And instead of awesome, we got TOR, which is about as far from awesome as Bioware can make something.
Truth has never been truthier.

Really too bad we'll never see this at all since Bioware decided to retcon basically everythin that happened in KOTOR 2 because they were bitter that Obsidian made a better story than they did (my opinion only!).

Hell, does the exile even exist in ToR lore anymore?
Technically, yes. All of the events of KotOR II are still canon in that they happened, but Bioware has Word-of-god'd that Kreia was completely wrong about almost everything to do with Revan other than that he was awesome, and a great general. Oh well. (You tend to see this kind of thing happen when people try to deconstruct things Lucas et al. don't want deconstructed, like the light/dark binary and the archetypical characters that keep recurring. Kyle Katarn says outright that it doesn't matter what force powers you use as long as you use them to good ends, and the upper-ups directly contradicted it.)

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
shrekfan246 said:
Soviet Heavy said:
shintakie10 said:
Part of my annoyance with 1s ending was just how generic it was. It's still the same generic Bioware swill as ever with the same vanilla flavor, just this time with lightsabers. Even if KOTOR 2's ending was just a very confusing mishmash of random stuff, at least it was a confusing mishmash of something different.
In that case, I'd stick with the dungeon that is actually functional. I do not want to go through the disastrous section where you play as Remote again. If you miss killing *one* Storm Beast, then you are screwed, since Remote can take one hit and then die. And all of it is dropped as soon as you regain control of the Exile. That whole GOTO subplot goes nowhere without the Restoration Mod.
Man, I've really got to get around to playing the full game again with the mod sometime... even back on the Xbox almost a decade ago, I still liked II over the first one, so I can only imagine how much I'll probably adore the thing after getting to experience it in its full glory.

It's too bad I've got all these other games to play still...
It really is quite good, there is a lot of dialogue that is put in throughout the game including the big bits later on in the story. It really, really makes all the things that make the game shine that much better. The mod also enables you to get the extra planet that was cut, though I haven't played that yet.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
KevinHe92 said:
Stop it. Stop it. Stop rubbing in the fact that we won't get a KOTOR 3 because of that...MMO. STOP IT.
If it makes you feel any better, it's not the existence of the MMO that prevents KOTOR 3 from being made. The problem is that EA has an exclusive license to publish Star Wars games, and there is no way in hell that they would let Obsidian come anywhere near the franchise.

ms_sunlight

Jun 6, 2011
TOR is a really good game(*) but it's not KotOR3. I would have loved - absolutely adored - an Obsidian-made KotOR3.

I have happy thoughts about it sometimes. They usually involve the return of Hanharr and Mira, still hunting each other, bound by honour and hate...

(* Yeah I know lol TORtanic etc. I'm a subscriber, I loved the recent expansion, I adore the PVP and I think the way the different class stories intertwine is very clever, you don't even begin to see how clever until you play your second or third toon. I recently rolled a Cathar merc just to see the Bounty Hunter story again. Obviously I'm an idiot, as are all the people having a great time on The Red Eclipse server with me!)

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
MMO's seem to have a way of ruining lore. What Warcraft II and III did for the lore that made WoW originally so interesting was lost because MMO's are terrible vehicles for telling any cohesive story. I wish they would retcon everything in WoW and just make WarCraft IV like they should have, same with TOR.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Scars Unseen said:
KevinHe92 said:
Stop it. Stop it. Stop rubbing in the fact that we won't get a KOTOR 3 because of that...MMO. STOP IT.
If it makes you feel any better, it's not the existence of the MMO that prevents KOTOR 3 from being made. The problem is that EA has an exclusive license to publish Star Wars games, and there is no way in hell that they would let Obsidian come anywhere near the franchise.
Eh, the MMO is a pretty big contributor even without EA havin exclusive rights. While it does seem like it goes too far sometimes, continuity is a pretty big deal to people. A KOTOR 3 would have to basically end up with the exact same end game as TOR's beginnin to keep it in line with the lore of the series, which basically means that Obsidian would have to take a hacksaw to their story in order to fit it back into the bland black and white version of the Star Wars universe that Bioware created.

BoxCutter

Jul 3, 2009
ms_sunlight said:
TOR is a really good game
That people actually think this makes me sad.

Somewhere one of the idiots who pumped out that abomination is sitting around thinking, "well, some people like it", and they're right.

OldFogeyGamer

Jan 17, 2013
Pretty ambivalent about this news. I loved KotORII and have always been a fan of Obsidian's writing (would be nice if they made less buggy games, but hey, bugs you can patch, shitty writing just gets the "artistic license" defense), but I don't think KotORIII would have been given the love it deserved; LucasArts was, in my opinion, a shit publisher for shortening development cycles and interfering with game design, which was the main reason KotORII got the shaft, and EA isn't any better.

KotORIII would have just wound up a short, shallow action game that either apes Force Unleashed (if published by LucasArts) or Mass Effect (if published by EA). Better that it never happened.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
OldFogeyGamer said:
KotORIII would have just wound up a short, shallow action game that either apes Force Unleashed (if published by LucasArts) or Mass Effect (if published by EA). Better that it never happened.
Hate to burst your bubble but it did happen.

EA saw the WoW gravy train ActiBlizz was riding to the bank and made KoTOR 3 into the MMO known as TOR.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
Since it would have been from Obsidian I'm glad that it never got made.
They can keep their buggy and incomplete shit as far as I am concerned.

I'm pretty sure that some day another SW RPG comes along. It just won't be related to KotOR.
Just seems rather logical to exploit the video game market as well with the new movies and TV series in the making.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
This is why I love Obsidian. Whoever is in their story-writing department honestly needs a medal, because they've done some amazing work with both the Star Wars and the Fallout lore. ... Now, if they could only get a fucking decent Q&A division, because there are more bugs in their games than there are bacteria in a public bathroom.

I'm not gonna comment much on the retconning, but that's only because I refuse to read up any of the lore post-KOTOR II due to how... controversial and divisive it has been on the community. I don't mind putting a name, face, and voice to Revan and the Exile, but the very fact that it is a MMO means that you either regulate the players to side-quests or, as I understand it, shaft the ACTUAL heroes so that the PC-inserts can go and save the day in his stead, which I think is a disservice to the great Revan that Kreia described in KOTOR II.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
Why does the video game world just simply adopt, "alternate universes" and what if games, comics do it and get away with it, the occasional games does it.

why not just allow obsidian or w/e a shot at finishing their story, win lose or fail just slap a alternate timeline set in the star wars universe deal and boom its bad you got your arse covered if its great you can retcon it into your lore later, ea also owning the rights would get a nice fat check from obsidian to use the licenses at all, get gets a sw game made without it footing the bill and getting a check gee seems like win win for ea no matter what. not like bad games have ever made much dif to the sw franchise anyway for going on 10 years just about they all been pretty universally bad.

so why cant this get done? all they need to do is allow it to happen and its easy enough to allow obsidian to have its shot at stuff and bioware/ea still able to keep its ball and do w/e they want with it, the only thing they would have to do with each other is the same thing they have now how is obsidian better/worse than biowares tor.

obsidian was always more counter culture, they relished putting stories out there that gave the finger to the establishment, weither it was vtmbl or kotor 2, how they mocked the established normals and pointed out the hyprocracy of those systems.

bioware been making the same game with the same basic formula for the last 20 years some ideas better than others.

Gali

Nov 19, 2009
I don't know how this can be any new news to people. He is just stating what the second game of the series implied already. Yes, SWToR does some of it too - but in a really idiotic way. Like portraying characters/places in a false way, be it that their personality is not the same or their appearance is utterly wrong (see the Starforge, Bastila, HK and Revan himself..) and freezing Revan or some shit so he can be there centuries later, getting his whole philosophy wrong, putting Dromund Kaas at the doorstep of Taris which makes me wonder how the true, hiddin Sith Empire haven't been discovered sooner, and much more.

Otherwise I enjoy the MMO version. I treat it like I (have) to treat many comic books I own: Like it's an alternate universe for me.

It's just a shame that Obsidian didn't get a chance to developed KotoR 2 in a proper way - and a third installment ofc. I have much respect for them to create such an awesome game in about half the time. Yes, they built on an existing project - but polished and advanced it really well. While Bioware manages to destroy whole franchises by making very bad decisions story- and gameplaywise. I'd recommend people to play the franchise, and use the restored content for the second game. Recently, the modders added a whole new planet which they had to recreate pretty much by themselves because there wasn't much data left. It's great to see the progress the modding community made in the past years. Now we can pretty much manipulate the game like devs could.

ms_sunlight

Jun 6, 2011
BoxCutter said:
ms_sunlight said:
TOR is a really good game
That people actually think this makes me sad.

Somewhere one of the idiots who pumped out that abomination is sitting around thinking, "well, some people like it", and they're right.
"Oh noes, someone likes a thing I don't like!" You know what? People are allowed to have differing tastes and opinions. It doesn't have bugs, exploits or problems in design that make it unplayable. Lots of people do play it and enjoy it. Get over yourself.

BoxCutter

Jul 3, 2009
ms_sunlight said:
"Oh noes"
My time traveling machine worked, it's three years ago.

And yes, you're 'allowed' to like bad games. I never said you weren't. But they're still bad.

iRevanchist

Jun 11, 2011
People on this thread keep saying that there wasn't a point in making Kotor III anyway because of the book--yes, in fact, there was. Here's why: all of the choices you make in the past two games should matter, the most important being morality and, let's face it, gender. For everyone who decided to play the first two games as anything other than LSM and LSF, respectively, are left without an ending whatsoever. Besides, the book's ending the Revan's and the Exile's story sucked :/

Eggsnham

Apr 29, 2009
shintakie10 said:
Hell, does the exile even exist in ToR lore anymore?
Yup, as Meetra Surik, who you're only able to meet in ghost form.

OT: I find this thoroughly depressing.