KOTOR MMO: What would you like to see?

Hanji

Mar 27, 2008
Having any type of restriction on who can ultimately become a Jedi would be a disaster. However people become Jedi, starting out or being trained, it should be the same for every character.

Now, I could write a few pages on a few cardinal rules they'd have to follow to satisfy me, but I'll start with something simple: Realistic animations. In Force Unleashed, it infuriated me that the Sith with Light-Spears blocked with the middle of the hilt. Had they realistically charged and withdrew, parrying with the blade part of the weapon, it would have been awesome. I'm not saying Light-Spears should or shouldn't be in the game, I'm saying the animations for even normal blades should be fluid and practical, people should be pushed if Force pushed, and it doesn't become a worthless exchange of blows because games think they can disregard the fact that lightsabers kill in one hit.

Theo Samaritan

Jul 16, 2008
Called it. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.66582#568215]

TBH I just want an MMO that doesn't rape WoW's rotting corpse of a fomula again.

Corven

Forever Gonzo
Sep 10, 2008
ThaBenMan post=9.72511.763795 said:
I would prefer KOTOR III to an MMO, but, I'll take what I can get I guess.

I don't really think it'd be that bad if every player was a Jedi. How is that really different from any other MMO where you're an adventurer of some kind? Adventurers are more powerful, a step above the common people, like Jedi.

However, it would be interesting to have a limit of some kind as well. I like Wombat's idea about force sensitives, but I think it should be taken a step further. Nobody can choose to be force sensitive, but there's just a slim chance that any character made will be, like 10% or something. And make a limit of like 3 characters per account or something.

If you do make a force sensitive character, they can have the raw, untrained buff/aura powers, but to become a Jedi or Sith they need to go to a Temple somewhere and train (do some quests).
the problem with there only being a 10% chance of ending up as a force sensitive/jedi in a star wars game is that if I pay 60 dollars for a game and any type of subscription fee I'll be really pissed If I have to carry around a blaster throughout the the entire game while seeing some other character acting superior waving his/her lightsabre in everybodys face.

pieeater911

Jun 27, 2008
What would I like to see?

How about KOTOR as a single player game, they way it is meant to be played.

If I want to play an MMO I'll just reactivate my World of Warcraft account....if I can remember the password that is.

Alone Disciple

Jun 10, 2008
Well as far as skills go, maybe glean a few ideas from WoW.

Somehow combine mining/jewelcrafting to obtain 'rare' crystals for lighsabers. They would indeed be rare, and different crystals would have different buffs or be better utilized by jedi/sith factions.

Engineering would perhaps repair ships (hyperdrive, speeders, etc), read diagrams.

Slicing: Skill level would limit how users could override computers, break into secure areas, open/shutbalst doors, use a scomplink.

Piloting: Maybe you have various skills buffs/debuffs on whether you fly freighters, fighters, groudn assault vehicles, etc.

Just some ideas.

SWG has some nice early concepts...just wasn't executed right. I think you'd have to take a blend of WoW, Warhammer Online, SWG skills..

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Agreed, don't be afraid to steal concepts from newer games...like WAR's RVR. SWG had good space combat as I understand it. WoW reminds us we must be newbie freindly and always expanding, and never undercut our damn playerbase (like SWG did)

Digitalpotato

Aug 29, 2008
Because I KNOW it's gonna have grind anyways, I'll just not talk about that.

What I really would want is for them to at least try to balance the classes out...remember the prestige classes in Sith Lords? Remember how the Jedi Weapons Master and the Sith Lords could just run through an entire room and knock them out in one hit with a Force Storm? They BETTER not make it be like that otherwise PvP's just gonna be Sith Lords spamming Force Storm to get pwned by Jedi Weapons masters hitting them for 80% of their health using a double-bladed lightsaber.

And limiting Jedi? Remember Star Wars Galaxies? Star wars fans want to be JEDI. That was the main selling point they wanted to play with lightsabers and use Force Psychic Rape on people. Besides, what if it's like KOTOR and the lightsabers and jedi outclass the regular guys? And if Jedis are randomly-bestowed upon random characters then guess what? People create a character...oh not force sensitive? Delete. Oh finally, time to train them. And then PvP-wise we have World of Warcraft's Tier 2 all over again.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Assuming the whole thing is balanced(large assumption, I know), a Jedi shouldn't be any more powerful than a non-jedi, really. As such, to relate it to old school RPG classes, the Jedi are...clerics? Mages? Paladins? Whereas the non-jedi are fighters, rangers, rogues/thieves.

The force is just magic, I don't see why you'd have to restrict people to not letting them choose to use magic.

Digitalpotato

Aug 29, 2008
What I also forgot to mention is that if they make it based off of luck...you're GONNA have a few people get the shaft. There'd be people who have at least three Jedi Alts within the first few months of them joining whereas there'd be people who have been playing since Beta (or release) and have yet to acquire one force-sensitive character. Game play mechanics based off of luck just do not work.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
So long as they can provide a means for non-jedi characters to compete with jedi, I don't mind I suppose. With Cortosis weave, it's not so unbelievable.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
TsunamiWombat post=9.72511.764433 said:
So long as they can provide a means for non-jedi characters to compete with jedi, I don't mind I suppose. With Cortosis weave, it's not so unbelievable.
Just talk to HK-47 in KotOR 2. He gives you plenty of tips to kill Jedi.
Mines, energy shields (Though not those foolish Mandalorian Melee shields!), don't plan ahead too far, sniping and abusing line of sight. Grenades too. Don't use blasters! ;D

Dramatic Flare

Frightening Frolicker
Jun 18, 2008
I'm kind of against the whole theory. A story based MMO would be great, and one of my major attractions to KOTOR was the lack of grinding. but I doubt that these will happen, and I will sigh and play it anyway, so long as I don't have to pay subscription fees. I always thought upgrade fees would be better. Don't make them pay monthly, make them pay for the new content. ...anyway.
I just can't see this being the right move. I can't see this being anything but the wrong move. Single player RPGs sell for different reasons that MMORPGS, and trying to combine them is going to be incredibly hard.
We'll just have to wait and see.

Reaperman Wompa

Aug 6, 2008
More Micro managing. I always loved being able to personalize all my gear/

And make the level limit really high, I don't want to be stuck at level 20 like Guild Wars.
And just for the sake of it I hope they work on different races if it was ever made, you can't say that a galaxy spanning peace force doesn't allow "greens", bit...species-ist.