Krampus - A Horrific Christmas Miracle

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Krampus - A Horrific Christmas Miracle

Krampus, a December horror movie that was not given press screenings, is actually pretty decent. It's a Christmas Miracle!

Read Full Article

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Marter said:
Most of these people are pretty despicable, and the film only rarely actually tries to make us root for them.
This makes me wonder, are there any recent horror films where the protagonists are generally decent people and nothing that happens to them is remotely earned. Or better yet, a horror comedy with a bait and switch where at first it is funny but then it deliberately becomes macabre. I have seen a couple of older black and white films that fit the bill but I cannot remember them off the top of my head nor anything having recently come out.

Does anybody remember a film that looks like it is from the 70s were whenever someone is attacked by the slasher it looks like a light hearted chase but then you get to watch for about a minute as they bleed to death while frantically trying (and failing) to save their own lives or just breakdown. A making of after the film explained that they hired a trauma surgeon to make the exsanguination scenes as realistic as possible on a very low budget. It was the first horror film that I ever saw that scared me and I have never been able to root for the bad guy in any film ever since, no matter how despicable the protagonists are.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Saulkar said:
This makes me wonder, are there any recent horror films where the protagonists are generally decent people and nothing that happens to them is remotely earned.
It's not really all that "recent", but just off the top of my head there was the original Alien movie. Just a bunch of space-truckers stumble upon an alien organism that proceeds to savage all of them except for one. They were all generally likable people with no "That guy's a major douche" characters, as such you really can't say any of them deserved the fate they got.

As for horror comedies that get rather gruesome, it's been ages since I've seen it so I can't exactly recall the specific details, but I seem to recall 1987's Munchies [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munchies_%28film%29] fitting that description.

OT: I just recently started seeing the trailer for this movie before youtube videos...and it's one of the few pre-video ads that actually grabbed my attention enough to make me watch the whole thing. I'll probably check it out once it sees a home release...granted, by then it won't be Christmas, but I'm always game for a fun horror story. :3

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
RJ 17 said:
Le Snipster
Seen Alien, loved it, watched a video on it last night over its influences on videogames which makes me wonder why I did not think of it in this context! I will have to give munchies a look at though.

American Fox

Le Best Tank
Aug 14, 2012
CJ from the Dawn of the Dead remake was a major douche, yet redeems all that at the end with his effort to help and his sacrifice.

CecilT

Apr 27, 2015
Saulkar said:
Or better yet, a horror comedy with a bait and switch where at first it is funny but then it deliberately becomes macabre.
Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon is pretty much this. Its starts off as a documentary style horror comedy about a serial killer who wants to be the next big thing. (along with Jason Voorhees, Freddy Kruegar, etc) Its a genuinely funny movie that manages to poke fun at all kinds of horror cliches and explains why they are needed. Then at about the half point the film transitions into full on horror movie and drops the documentary angle. It does it so well, you don't even really notice at first.

A true gem of a movie.

On topic: Krampus was quite good. I had some minor nitpicks but overall it was a very entertaining horror comedy.

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
I'm just happy that I get an excuse to post this song again.
<youtube=6EmqsEHl3P8>

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Objectable said:
I'm just happy that I get an excuse to post this song again.
<youtube=6EmqsEHl3P8>
I'm wondering if this is more fun... I suspect so...

Joshroom

Oct 27, 2009
RJ 17 said:
Saulkar said:
This makes me wonder, are there any recent horror films where the protagonists are generally decent people and nothing that happens to them is remotely earned.
Not a crazily recent film but the entire premise of Whedon's Cabin in the Woods was exactly that. The five kids were great; that was kinda the point actually.

OT: This film does look like a good bit of shlocky fun. Might give it a shot - it'll give me a bit of perverse pleasure to see this instead of joining the Star Wars hordes.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Gorfias said:
I'm wondering if this is more fun... I suspect so...

Sadly it's nowhere near as fun as the trailer might suggest. The Santa vs. Krampus story is only like 1/5 of the film, and the rest of them are just ... not very good.

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
Saulkar said:
Marter said:
Most of these people are pretty despicable, and the film only rarely actually tries to make us root for them.
This makes me wonder, are there any recent horror films where the protagonists are generally decent people and nothing that happens to them is remotely earned. Or better yet, a horror comedy with a bait and switch where at first it is funny but then it deliberately becomes macabre. I have seen a couple of older black and white films that fit the bill but I cannot remember them off the top of my head nor anything having recently come out.

Does anybody remember a film that looks like it is from the 70s were whenever someone is attacked by the slasher it looks like a light hearted chase but then you get to watch for about a minute as they bleed to death while frantically trying (and failing) to save their own lives or just breakdown. A making of after the film explained that they hired a trauma surgeon to make the exsanguination scenes as realistic as possible on a very low budget. It was the first horror film that I ever saw that scared me and I have never been able to root for the bad guy in any film ever since, no matter how despicable the protagonists are.
Does Tucker and Dale vs. Evil count as a horror comedy?

I guess you could count "It Follows" since really the thing that leads into the horror is a fairly innocent thing and you can possibly sympathise when the protagonist does something extreme.

Or The Babadook.

TheRundownRabbit

Wicked Prolapse
Aug 27, 2009
Saw this movie today, a lot about it is praise-worthy, that being said, it's only alright because it doesn't do its job as a horror movie and some parts are easily predictable. It's worth seeing in theaters or renting but I'm not buying physical copy any time when it comes around. The praise-worthy stuff is the decent cast giving better than expected performances, the writing is pretty solid, the special effects are amazing and speaking of special effects
There was one part of the movie where the grand-mother was telling a story of her childhood when she first encountered Krampus and the whole flashback is animated and brilliantly so. The animation was so well done that they could make a whole movie about this and the art and animation could easily put some companies to shame. By miles, my favorite part of the movie.

irishda

Dec 16, 2010
Saulkar said:
The Mist. God certainly decided to shit on those people.

tiamat5

Aug 6, 2008
I mean does anyone in a horror movie ever truly deserve what these people and things do to them? I mean none of them ever really do anything so bad as to deserve the hellish things that happen to them. I never said 'Man I am glad that guy got chopped' up or 'She really deserved to get her head cut off'

Kyogissun

Notably Neutral
Jan 12, 2010
I've gone and bought this movie hook, line and sinker. What an absolute blast. Funny, creepy, campy, really well produced, well paced, good performances, amazing effects (practical and digital) and great fucking moments all around.

For all the disappointments horror wise this year, man did this deliver. After the snoozefest that was Crimson Peak, this was fucking fantastic.

Oct 2, 2012
Saulkar said:
The protagonists of Oculus(2013) are generally decent people and nothing that happens to them is remotely earned.
They just wanted to prove to people that they weren't crazy and that an evil ghost did exist and traumatize them as children.
I thought it was a pretty good movie too!