Kratos

Olenthros

Apr 2, 2010
I agree with yahtzee on this one but I think what may have been forgotten to be told here is that many times writers put out "shock entertainment" like this to distract people from the bad or poorly done parts of the game or show. Example Jerry Springer it's a terrible show but there is so much train wreck of characters going on people couldn't stop watching or comedians who love to use foul language profusely it isn't intelligibly used like when George Carlin did his skit on the 7 words that can't be said on television it's to distract you from exactly how bad their jokes are. A game example would be like Dante's Inferno they would rather have people talking about how the guy sews a cross into his chest and there is boobs in the game than people talk about exactly how bad the game is. I do enjoy games that work things well into context especially to help add emotion or strength to a scene but when they just put things in there to get those on a 12 year old mentality to get excited about the game it shows the lack of commitment the developers are putting into it. It is kind of a revelation you put on the batman spin though yahtzee I never quite looked at my cartoon and comic characters that way but you are right once they have done what they were seeking to do and continue on their role they have quit developing and become a parody of their former selves.

Kelbear

Aug 31, 2007
Yes! Someone else who sees Batman the way I do.

I love the Bat-verse, but Batman is the worst part of it. Everyone is allowed to have development, except for Batman.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I have to admit in a certain sense I can see what you mean. He is just someone who dosnt car and does what he has to.

Although, sometimes I feel lke he is just basically grand standing...which I suppose is his point, but, still an annoying quality

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
I agree with you, Yathzee. Although I know that sympathy with the main character is not required to enjoy a game, I felt like Kratos in GOW 1 was more interesting than in GOW 2 and 3. In the first one, he was a by-the-books example of a greek tragic hero: a pawn of the gods, used first for their amusement and later on to make their dirty job. Although he was a dick most of the time, you still felt like he had a reason to be pissed.

In the latter ones, he became the cartoony embodiment of anger and dickness. He is just angry and is a dick, and wants to take revenge on Zeus because he didn't approved his dicky way of life; yet they tried to make me care about him and his motives by tasking me with
rescuing the titans and avenging the fall of Sparta.

I enjoyed how they tried
to humanize him
in the end, although I didn't buy it completely. By that point, I had spent too much time in dick mode to care about the (almost non-existant) caring side of Kratos.

TheEnglishman

Jun 13, 2009
Uhhhhhhh, I don't know why, but I'm getting bored of Yahtzee.

It's became moan moan moan now. He doesn't like God of War anymore, he doesn't like Batman He's said he doesn't like Comics, he doesn't like cinema's. I for one am happy when he likes games and his obsession with the negative underminds the positive. Yes he has said things which he does like which are almost all old (Silent Hill 2, God of War 1, The Young Ones.) This obsession with the old is annoying and once again undermines of the positive that we see in the modern releases.

Maybe it's just because looking through his eyes has became ever so old now and it paints the world in a very bleak light. I'd rather be happy with all the good stuff than be miserable about the small stuff.

Maybe I need a break.

Syntax Error

Sep 7, 2008
Great article. I never saw the comparison coming.

Is there anything/anyone in God of War 2 that Kratos encountered and didn't kill (directly or indirectly, and no, the two women in the bath house and the second translator don't count)? Cause in God of War, I can vaguely remember him not killing the gravedigger.

UtopiaV1

Feb 8, 2009
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
Extra Punctuation: Kratos

Kratos is like a car wreck you just can't look away from.

Read Full Article
The truth has been spoken! DOWN WITH THE EVERYMAN BULLSHIT!!!

I also want to actually PLAY GoW1 now, just to see what the hell you're on about. For years i've avoided the franchise, because (just like Halo and Madden) all i see when i look at it is beer-guzzling frat-boys who wouldn't know archetypal subtext if it was drowned in their keg-stands and rammed up their arse. Now i learn the first game has emotional depth? Three dimensional characters? A PLOT???

Screw me sideways.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
Syntax Error said:
Great article. I never saw the comparison coming.

Is there anything/anyone in God of War 2 that Kratos encountered and didn't kill (directly or indirectly, and no, the two women in the bath house and the second translator don't count)? Cause in God of War, I can vaguely remember him not killing the gravedigger.
It's hinted that the gravedigger is Zeus, so I don't think he could've killed him even if he wanted too.

And Kratos didn't kill Jason.

He got killed before Kratos got a hold of him.

caballitomalo

Aug 12, 2009
Well, I think batman does have a certain measure of depth once you factor in the fact that he is... crazy. Remember Rorschach in Watchmen? well... he's batman. An obsessed man willing to do anything to keep hes craziness going. The man takes on little orphans under he guise as pupils, he lives 2 separate lives and is pretty much a demented vigilante who can't see how much hes hurting himself and those around him. He just happens to be filthy rich so he can afford to be all those things and still look good doing it (which cements the premise that having a super bank account beats any other super power out there).

I still think that the guy beats Superman or any other hero out there. Particularly, I don't like superman. Hes an outsider that came here and stuck hes nose on everything and to top it all off he's a God damned boyscout that follows everyone else's orders every time he can. God forbid that the most powerful figure in super hero history had the guts to be hes own man. For all hes might, powers, renown and glory superman can't hold a candle to the mad awesomeness that is Batman.

Kratos is the same. The man just lost it at the end of GoW1 and hes just a crazy killer on the loose by now. You see, all this could actually be spinned for a great ending in which we follow him to hes own demise while he remains unaware of hes madness (which comes without saying since you can't be truly mad if you know it). Remember that its Athena that tells most of hes story and just because it began as a vengeance tale it doesn't mean it can end as a madness tale all while utilizing one of the finest examples of solid mechanics of all time (not perfect but solid as hell).

De Ronneman

Dec 30, 2009
So, GoW is over. It's over.

Guess he can't get worse now, except in prequels...

Or he goes into space, like Jason.

Imagine... God of War X...

kisara_of_pern

Apr 16, 2009
Ugh, now I feel bad for writing what amounts to a drive-by comment because some of the other people here have actually put some effort into theirs.

Anyway, just wanted to say that I think Yahtzee's assessment is fair. Kratos has been flanderized (cf. tvtropes: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Flanderization).

unreal713

Aug 18, 2009
I just assumed him going a bit crazy in the second game onwards was the whole 'power corrupts' thing. The Gods in Greek mythology can sometimes be seen as a bit psychotic in various ways so I just thought it rubbed off on him or something.

Since one of the most popular things about the first game was the gory mass murders, it would have been stupid of them to say 'now that Kratos had his revenge so lets make him a bit nicer with the various monstrosities he encounters'. In the end, unless they changed the gameplay (which they didn't and rightly so I guess) alongside the character development, there were going to be problems.

Grampy_bone

Mar 12, 2008
Yahtzee is fooling himself if he thinks Kratos isn't a generic everyman character. True, he isn't the standard heroic archetype; he's the depressingly common "Darker and Edgier" 90's comic book anti-hero.

He's a pure male power fantasy, plain and simple.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
i thought the fact the gods didnt let him forget about his pass misdeeds was the reason he started to get really pissed off. so yeah he started dicking around because he was pissed. Zeus got scared of him dicking around and decides to smite him down. doing so gave him his only singular reason for vengence. yeh cartoonish but i thought it kinda made sense XD

kaedis

Mar 23, 2009
I played the first half of God of War I and lost interest.
I am sorry, I really don't understand what is so interesting about Kratos.
They should have just named the series "Kratos Murders Everybody and their Gods."
A bit wordy, but it describes the complete lack of personality or story development of any kind.
I don't have to identify with him, but I at least should care where he's going. Kratos is not going anywhere, unless of course there are more soft, warm bodies to butcher and/or rape.
He is the A-Typical Vin Diesel character. The ultimate bad-ass who is better than everybody at everything. Yes, EVERYTHING.
He is the Spartan version of 50 Cent.
They should make a God of War IV where he travels through time and becomes a gangsta rapper who murders all of his fans.

Wait, I think I would actually buy that. Or, watch someone else play it at least.

Srdjan

Mar 12, 2010
Well no one thought that Kratos is meant to be some one who took killing because revange but continued so only because he likes killing, and he seeks slightes reason to start killing, as I seek slightest reason to start drinking, seriously I think both of us needs to go to group therapy.

Stilton

Apr 13, 2010
I don't care much for Kratos, at all, but find the whole angle rather off. It's not a matter of being relatable as much as one of being at all likeable.

Let?s compare him, briefly, to a few other practitioners of gratuitous violence in recent memory, in terms of attitude to their exploits.

King Minos asks: ?Why did you split my face wide open??
Dante: ?BEATRIIICE!!?
Verdict: Objectively dull, but gets bonus points for (unconditional?) comedic value.

Tiamat asks: ?Why did you rip my wings off ??
War: ?I must restore the balance!?
Verdict: Quite bland, but serves its purpose, and Liam O?Brien is king.

Fortitudo asks: ?Why did you tear my heads loose??
Bayonetta: ?You?re not nearly so ugly when you?re screaming.?
Verdict: Poignant, playfully sinister, altogether lovely.

?Random God of War boss? asks: ?Why did you ?whichever tiresome QTE???
Kratos: ?Kratos angry! Kratos smash! Gods crap!?
Verdict: While he doesn?t actually say the above, it?s pretty much what the player is left with, seeing how Kratos lets his blades do most of his talking for him.

Paragraph three of the article in question, ironically, sums up Kratos eminently well. Simply exchange ?slack-jawed disbelief? for ?constipated glare?, add a pair of bladed chains, and there you have him.

In addition, I cannot help but marvel at the idea of Kratos being considered, so to speak, ?bad-ass?. For the sake of keeping with the Greeks, and overlooking the bouts of remorse from the first part of the series, he?s about as much so as the ?uber-immortal? from ?300? - a hollow posterboy of gruesome violence which, much thanks to the nature of its wielder, succeeds only at being monotonous.

Sans battlerage, Kratos appears entirely indifferent to whatever he?s up to. But unlike say, War, Ryu Hayabusa or Batman, all in a literal sense comparatively boring characters, he doesn?t possess the slightest lick of style.

Contrasting the Batman angle Kratos, much like the late Heath Ledger?s the Joker, does plenty of things giving little tangible reasoning. The difference lies with the presentation; whereas the Joker maintains an unsettling quirkiness and unreliability, Kratos simply keeps his tuppence worth to himself.

As for the topic, Kratos is very much relatable, if you limit yourself to the primal spectrum of anger through fury. Expect something beyond and you?re in for disappointment. He lacks the motivation not only to be likeable, but even one to love hating. A darn shame.

ewhac

Digital Spellweaver
Legacy
Escapist +
Sep 2, 2009
San Francisco Peninsula
Country
USA
caballitomalo said:
Well, I think batman does have a certain measure of depth once you factor in the fact that he is... crazy. Remember Rorschach in Watchmen? well... he's batman. An obsessed man willing to do anything to keep hes craziness going.
Did you read the same section of the graphic novel that I did? Because that's not Rorschach at all:

Looked at sky through smoke heavy with human fat and God was not there. The cold, suffocating dark goes on forever and we are alone. Live our lives, lacking anything better to do. Devise reason later. Born from oblivion; bear children, hell-bound as ourselves, go into oblivion. There is nothing else. Existence is random. Has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long. No meaning save what we choose to impose. This rudderless world is not shaped by vague metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us.
Rorschach realized that The Rules, such as they are, are completely arbitrary, and will be bent or ignored at the convenience of selfish, powerful people -- that there is no supreme arbiter, that There Isn't Anyone Up There At All.

And my reading is that [em]he wasn't okay with that[/em]. He believed the world needed clear rules, enforced with brutal impartiality. And since the need was so dire, and since there was no one else doing it... He took the job.

thebreadbinman

Jan 24, 2010
Batman continues to be batman because his father had a vision to rid the city of crime, and ironically was killed by a criminal, and so when he died, Bruce went out for revenge, and ended up finding out that's not what he wanted, and what he wanted was to carry on his fathers dream. So he will hang up his cape eventually, but not until Gotham is crime-free.
And anyway, didn't he die in one of the universes anyway?

But I get your point about Kratos

LegsyWegsy

Jan 31, 2008
oh man i used to love the Young Ones, Rick was my favourite, the 'anarchist'
interesting look at things overall, and whats the sit rep with Fun Space Game: The Game?