Kripp Could Have Crashed Hearthstone Servers by DEing His Dupes

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Kripp Could Have Crashed Hearthstone Servers by DEing His Dupes

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1366/1366061.jpg
Hearthstone streamer Kripparrian has amassed so many duplicate cards that Blizzard thinks he could have brought the entire game down by disenchanting them.

Kripparrian [https://www.twitch.tv/nl_kripp] is one of the most popular Hearthstone streamers out there, and according to Blizzard, he actually had the power to bring the entire game to its knees at one point.

Kripp, unlike many other streamers and players, doesn't disenchant his duplicate cards using the in-game "disenchant all" feature. This means that he has amassed an ungodly amount of duplicate cards over the years, and Hearthstone game designer Ben Brode theorized that before the team upgraded its servers, Kripp could have brought the whole game down by pushing his "disenchant all" button.

"There was a point in time (pre-TGT?) when, if he had hit the button, he would have brought down Hearthstone. Thanks to the hard work of our engineers, we are probably ok now. Fingers crossed..." Brode said in a reddit post [https://www.reddit.com/r/hearthstone/comments/5gnpnc/update_on_kripps_dust_collection_and_projection/dau7je8/].

So why doesn't Kripp DE his dupes? He has stated that he will only disenchant them when it will net him enough dust to craft every single golden card. Some redditors have crunched the numbers and discovered that he needs a total of 141k dust for this feat [https://www.reddit.com/r/hearthstone/comments/5gnpnc/update_on_kripps_dust_collection_and_projection/].

He's only about 700 packs away from his goal at this point, so maybe one day soon he will finally push the button, and (hopefully) not bring down the entire game...

Source: reddit [https://www.reddit.com/r/hearthstone/comments/5gnpnc/update_on_kripps_dust_collection_and_projection/]

ron1n

Jan 28, 2013
That's kind of amazing lol

Although I always figured he'd never be able to actually craft them all considering there's constantly new cards being added.

I guess the rate at which he's acquiring duplicates is outstripping the rate of new cards being created?

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I just wonderfully have no idea what the hell anyone's talking about.

saltyanon

Sep 18, 2013
Bob_McMillan said:
Imagine clicking a button that opens up 1000 firefox tabs all at once. That can make it crash.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
saltyanon said:
Bob_McMillan said:
Imagine clicking a button that opens up 1000 firefox tabs all at once. That can make it crash.
Oh, I get that. I just have no idea what a Kripp is, what disenchanting a card does, and what kind of dust they are talking about.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Bob_McMillan said:
saltyanon said:
Bob_McMillan said:
Oh, I get that. I just have no idea what a Kripp is, what disenchanting a card does, and what kind of dust they are talking about.
Kripp - explained, a guy that plays Hearthstone.
Disenchanting - turning cards into a special in-game currencty, Dust.
Dust - said in-game currency. Used to "buy" or "craft" specific cards instead of general card packs.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
Oh so the guy that every Path of Exile troll vehemently insists you MUST HAVE heard of also plays Hearthstone.

The More You Know *shooting star*

While I can't say this story interests me, and I only clicked on it to learn wtf it was talking about in the headline, it is curious that the designers apparently didn't account for such a scenario in the first place.

Its almost like how in any Bethesda game the designers clearly didn't account for anyone actually playing it or else why would they all crash constantly...

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
I watch Kripp all the time. He regularly taunt chat with the big button. I heard someone or him once say that it would bring down Hearthsone.

MerlinCross

Apr 22, 2011
KoudelkaMorgan said:
Oh so the guy that every Path of Exile troll vehemently insists you MUST HAVE heard of also plays Hearthstone.

The More You Know *shooting star*

While I can't say this story interests me, and I only clicked on it to learn wtf it was talking about in the headline, it is curious that the designers apparently didn't account for such a scenario in the first place.

Its almost like how in any Bethesda game the designers clearly didn't account for anyone actually playing it or else why would they all crash constantly...
I actually don't know any big youtuber/streamer that plays path of exile unless it's for a one off episode

Also I prefer Trump to Kripp. No not that one!

Xeorm

Apr 13, 2010
ron1n said:
That's kind of amazing lol

Although I always figured he'd never be able to actually craft them all considering there's constantly new cards being added.

I guess the rate at which he's acquiring duplicates is outstripping the rate of new cards being created?
We are talking about someone who plays Hearthstone as a day job effectively and opened ~900-1000 packs of the newest expansion already. Assuming he remains popular, he's likely to continue making more money and be able to buy more and more packs.