Kung-Fu Hitler, Renegade Cops and Vikings Star in Kickstarter Film Kung Fury

BlameTheWizards

Jun 1, 2009
Kung-Fu Hitler, Renegade Cops and Vikings Star in Kickstarter Film Kung Fury

Enough money has already been raised on Kickstarter to release the completed, 30-minute film, for free online. If $1 million is collected, a new, feature-length script will be written featuring more time-traveling cops, martial artist Nazis and gun-wielding vikings.

The 1980s were a time when renegade cops who play by their own rules could karate kick any thug, alien or time-traveling ninja off the street, and filmmaker David Sandberg wants to make those days live again. He put his short film Kung Fury up on Kickstarter the day after Christmas, to share with the world his vision of loose cannon cop Kung Fury and his quest to go back in time fight the most deadly martial artists of all - Adolf Hitler, "Kung-Fuhrer."

And how does one fight Kung-fu Hitler? By using a Nintendo PowerGlove and bleeding-edge 80s computer technology to "hack back in time," of course. That is, until Kung Fury goes back too far, ends up in the time of the Vikings and enlists the help of a dinosaur-riding shield maiden and Norse god Thor to help topple the Third Reich. There's also a fight with a laser-gun wielding arcade cabinet thrown in as well, because why wouldn't there be.

The Kickstarter is currently at more than $420,000, doubling its original goal of $200,000, with 21 days left to go. That's enough to get the original 30-minute film distributed for free online. However, if $1 million can be raised, the movie's script will be rewritten into a feature-length film and Kung Fury's producer will begin talks with major distributors.

Source: <a href=http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kungfury/kung-fury>Kickstarter

james.sponge

Mar 4, 2013
This project got lots of publicity from pirate bay, could that be the reason? Those nasty pirates only know how to destroy everything :(

Sean Strife

Jan 29, 2010
I can safely say that I am a proud backer of this glorious masterpiece, and I'm glad it made it's goal. With that said, here's hoping they can reach 1,000,000 and beyond.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States

That was a lady Viking riding a dinosaur...

The things I throw my money at. >.>

I really hope they can make it into a full length film, but that amount of absurdity deserves such things. :D

Somebloke

Aug 5, 2010
I don't know...
You could probably go back to the 80:s and slot this into any video rental store shelf, with the regular collection, and nobody would notice. :p

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Somebloke said:
I don't know...
You could probably go back to the 80:s and slot this into any video rental store shelf, with the regular collection, and nobody would notice. :p
You're absolutely right... but only if they dial down the CGI a few dozen notches.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Far Cry Blood Dragon worked because it was short, this trailer worked because it was short too. I somewhat doubt that they can make a full lenght movie work without loosing the pace or making it tiresome.

4RM3D

May 10, 2011
And when you thought you seen it all... this comes along.

It's so bad, it's good. :)

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
I love this kind of stuff, I'll pitch in a few bucks to help them out. I do wonder if a feature film would be too much (in a bad way). Honestly, I think 30 min is a perfect amount of time to not overstay its welcome. Regardless, I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
King Whurdler said:
Anyway, my stance on this remains the same. Regardless of how sincere or ironic you're being, crap... tends to remain crap. A bad film is a bad film. It doesn't matter if it's intentional or not. The reason 'Plan 9 from Outer Space' is remembered so fondly is because there was passion... but it still went horribly wrong.0
The original Batman film worked.

But yeah, I'd expect this to be a disaster. Getting this sort of thing right is very hard.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
A friend pointed this out to me a few days ago. And I have to admit-- it looks surprisingly awesome for something that was created by a group of the director/lead's friends on a budget of about $5,000. Particularly that the various people in it actually look like they were cast to the parts, rather than just grabbed because they were available.

I'm kind of hoping they make it to a million. Good or terrible, I doubt the final result will be boring- and it might lead to other things. It's certainly not the worst thing a million dollars has ever been spent on.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
King Whurdler said:
thaluikhain said:
King Whurdler said:
Anyway, my stance on this remains the same. Regardless of how sincere or ironic you're being, crap... tends to remain crap. A bad film is a bad film. It doesn't matter if it's intentional or not. The reason 'Plan 9 from Outer Space' is remembered so fondly is because there was passion... but it still went horribly wrong.0
The original Batman film worked.

But yeah, I'd expect this to be a disaster. Getting this sort of thing right is very hard.
Adam West or Michael Keaton? Because, in my eyes, both of those are great.
West...that bit where he's trying to get rid of the bomb...that's how TDKR should have ended.

Though, I liked Keaton's two as well.

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
well there goes all of my money... Seriously I hope this succeds we need more original content out there no matter how weird or insane, I am tired of remakes, adaptations and re-imaginings. If projects like this succeed to get funded maybe hollywood will pay attention and either allow for more original movies, or try to copy this one.

Naqel

Nov 21, 2009
Kilt said:
So do I just start inserting notes into the disc tray or what?
You can type in all off your credit card data here, and we'll do the rest.