L.A. Noire Creator's New Project Named Whore of the Orient

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
L.A. Noire Creator's New Project Named Whore of the Orient

L.A. Noire taskmaster Brendan McNamara's next game is called Whore of the Orient and is set to be produced alongside a second KMM game based on a man named Max.

Things probably didn't go quite as planned for Brendan McNamara following the release of Happy Feet [http://www.amazon.com/L-Noire-Playstation-3/dp/B002I0J5UQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322527636&sr=8-1] films, and now the name of his new project has been revealed to the world as Whore of the Orient.

Intriguing, no? And that's not the only thing KMM has in mind for its developers. A game based on Mad Max 4: Fury Road is also in the works, which Mad Max [http://www.amazon.com/Mad-Max-Special-Mel-Gibson/dp/B00005R2IS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322527763&sr=8-1] creator George Miller decided to do "after years of resisting the impulse" because there's just too much money on the table these days to ignore.

"With the government's support we can immediately go forward with two games," KMM co-founder Doug Mitchell told the Financial Review [http://www.afr.com/p/george_miller_new_script_q1wYu1EFjLM0cyZa4s97fI]. "It's not immediately obvious but the potential in the video games sector is massive. Just from the statistics people are showing me, it's a $60 billion industry fast-tracking towards $90 billion. And it's not dominated by any particular country."

"People are drifting to game acquisition because of the budgets. The cost of a film may be $170 million - twice that to market it - whereas the basic cost of making a game might be 10 per cent of that. Look at L.A. Noire, they sold about three million units in a week, about $135 million net revenue, off a cost base which was infinitely lower than even your average low-budget film."

Nothing else is known about McNamara's new game at this point, but he set the bar awfully high in an interview with Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-11-10-brendan-mcnamara-id-rather-people-just-ring-me-up-and-tell-me-to-f-off-interview] earlier this month. "It's pretty interesting. It's one of the great untold stories of the twentieth century," he said. "So I think it'll be good."

I-Protest-I

Nov 7, 2009
And you know there will be people so desperate for work they'll be willing to work under him, shame.

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
But he landed on his feet at KMM, the Australian studio best known for the Happy Feet [http://www.amazon.com/Happy-Feet/dp/B000QI2ZWW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322527717&sr=8-1] films, and now the name of his new project has been revealed to the world as Whore of the Orient.
The studio that did Happy Feet is doing this? Christ, talk about a shift of tone.

Of course, let's see how long he lasts before new charges start getting filed.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
"Whore of the Orient"? I'm intrigued to say the least, every if just to find out what genre that game will be...

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Whore of the Orient?

Well that title seems certain to get changed before release. Leaving aside the obvious, 'Orient' is a somewhat archaic term, and regarded as mildly offensive by some these days.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Catalyst6 said:
The studio that did Happy Feet is doing this? Christ, talk about a shift of tone.
You haven't seen the sneak peaks at Happy Feet 3.

Penguin with a shotgun.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
So what aspect of Shanghai's history will the game reflect? The Opium Wars? The Japanese occupation? The 1920's and 30's (I hope so)? Modern Shanghai? Intriguing.

Anyway remove the mutants from Fallout 3, add in cars change the pallet a little and you have your Mad Max game. They say people don't believe in heroes anymore. Well damn them! You and me, Max, we're gonna give them back their heroes!

I say old chap said:
Wow, what a crude naming choice.

20th century stereotypes on Asian women, for the win?
Errr. No. It is a name given to Shanghai during its heyday in the 20's and 30's. Whore of the Orient, Paris of the East.

LGC Pominator

Feb 11, 2009
Sixcess said:
Whore of the Orient?

Well that title seems certain to get changed before release. Leaving aside the obvious, 'Orient' is a somewhat archaic term, and regarded as mildly offensive by some these days.
To me it sounds more like a boat name, perhaps, given the name theme and the "orient" being used a lot in period British things, I wouldn't be surprised if it was maybe a horror game set on an English trading vessel in the 1900s

If I am right on this you BETTER buy me a muffin

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
Well, it's good to know the studio behind happy feet isn't worried about it's future reputation.

Looks interesting though, all things considered.

Orange12345

Aug 11, 2011
"Just from the statistics people are showing me, it's a $60 billion industry fast-tracking towards $90 billion. And it's not dominated by any particular country"

Yes it is Japan and North America

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
"The cost of a film may be $170 million - twice that to market it - whereas the basic cost of making a game might be 10 per cent of that. Look at L.A. Noire, they sold about three million units in a week, about $135 million net revenue, off a cost base which was infinitely lower than even your average low-budget film"

Wait... What? To my understanding, in a modern context a 'low budget' game that hopes to have any mainstream appeal has a budget in the region of $5 million or more.

Many of the biggest titles are $50 million, and some break $100 million.

In what way does this compare favourably to film budgets of $170 million, when it is certainly possible to make a film for the same kinds of budgets that games are made for...

Doesn't make sense to me...

Flight

Mar 13, 2010
Well, I know which game I won't be buying next. After his last fiasco, I wasn't a fan, but this just seals it.

Gmans uncle

Oct 17, 2011
Okay, let me get this strait, he's actually calling it Whore of the Orient? And he doesn't expect any kind of backlash? Sorry to be the one to break it to ya' but...

D0WNT0WN

Sep 28, 2008
Whore of the Orient sounds like a book by Agatha Christie.

Time to curl our 'staches gentlemen.