L.A. Noire Running Really Bad

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
So I recently got L.A. Noire off Steam and so far the game seems pretty good, but it runs like complete arse on my laptop. I don't really know anything about PC specs and stuff but I know the game should be able to run on what I've got. I can run similarly good looking games without too much trouble but L.A. Noire seems to run at around 5fps or something equally appalling. I get massive slow down too. This even happens when I have all the graphics options set to the minimum possible.

So can anyone help me out? If anyone needs any more information about my laptop I'll try my best to give it, but like I said I'm not really well versed in this kind of stuff so I don't know how much help I can be.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
Not really sure what this all means, I just copied it from a website which says whether you can run a game or not, but here's my specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5-2430M CPU 2.40GHZ
RAM: 4GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M
Sound Card: Conexant SmartAudio HD

Hope that helps. I did look in to getting new drivers but as far as I could tell I already had the latest ones. I'll look again anyway.

EDIT: Just tried updating the drivers. It said it couldn't find compatible hardware.

TheCommanders

ohmygodimonfire
Nov 30, 2011
I'm having more or less the same problem. I don't feel like posting my specs here, because I'm not looking for technical support, but from a brief glance they look significantly higher than yours, so I'm assuming it's a problem with the game rather than our computers. It seems to work fine most of the time, but at the beginning of scenes, or just after cutscenes it slows to a crawl for about a minute or two and then resumes working. I have absolutely no idea why.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Rockstar's games are terribly ported to the PC. Sorry to say but even people with really good computers tend to have problems like this in LA Noire and even in GTA4. That's poor optimization for you.

Dendio

Mar 24, 2010
Ran horribly for me too. We should get our money back for these horrible ports. Steam should remove them from its library.

Never fear this youtube vid helps make the game more playable. Worked wonders for me

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
I knew Rockstar's ports were supposed to be terrible, but I didn't know L.A. Noire was included in that. I tried those fixes and it did improve it, but it's still not running what I would consider "well", but it's just about playable most of the time. It still slows down a lot when entering/exiting houses and in the chase sequences. Thanks for the help though.

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
Scrustle said:
So I recently got L.A. Noire off Steam and so far the game seems pretty good, but it runs like complete arse on my laptop. I don't really know anything about PC specs and stuff but I know the game should be able to run on what I've got. I can run similarly good looking games without too much trouble but L.A. Noire seems to run at around 5fps or something equally appalling. I get massive slow down too. This even happens when I have all the graphics options set to the minimum possible.

So can anyone help me out? If anyone needs any more information about my laptop I'll try my best to give it, but like I said I'm not really well versed in this kind of stuff so I don't know how much help I can be.
In the launcher they give you, go to options and put -str in the advanced options tool at the very bottom, should help.

Also, make sure its set to your copy of Direct X, that usually helps.

Jynthor

Mar 30, 2012
It's a Rockstar game, what did you expect? Don't even get me started on Max Payne 3.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
Jynthor said:
It's a Rockstar game, what did you expect? Don't even get me started on Max Payne 3.
Max Payne 3's actually a pretty damn good port. It looks amazing and runs well on my relatively underpowered machine. It also has all the graphics options you'll ever need and more.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Specs please.

Also, update your drivers. Get used to hearing this. Updating your drivers is the first thing you do.
No, the first thing you do is say, "A Rockstar game on PC that isn't Max Payne 3, I shall not buy this because it'll run like shit on everything".

Jynthor said:
Max Payne 3 is, bizarrely, one of the best ports I've ever come across.

What were your problems with it?

OT: Need the specs, but turn off hyper-threading if you have it on, and set everything to 'low' (except your resolution) if you haven't done already.

The game runs like shit and my PC meets the recommended. It's just an exceptionally bad job. It's also a terrible game which you shouldn't subject yourself too, if that's any consolation.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Woodsey said:
Specs please.

Also, update your drivers. Get used to hearing this. Updating your drivers is the first thing you do.
No, the first thing you do is say, "A Rockstar game on PC that isn't Max Payne 3, I shall not buy this because it'll run like shit on everything".
I've got both GTA 4 and LA Noire on PC and they run fine. (After breaking LA Noire's frame lock, of course.)
Then you're extremely lucky. They're notorious.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
The only decent PC port from Rockstar I have ever played was Max Payne 3. I literally didn't have to do anything to get that to run beautifully. I have no idea why they decided to actually make this one good. Maybe it has to do with the success and popularity of Max Payne for PC?

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
I've got both GTA 4 and LA Noire on PC and they run fine. (After breaking LA Noire's frame lock, of course.)
There's a framelock for LA Noir? I must look this up, it was literally the only reason I didn't get the game.