L.A. Residents Call 911 Due to Facebook Outage

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
PirateRose said:
When we had the Black Forest Fire here in Colorado, I remember on the news seeing a woman chew a police office out for not updating Google maps so they can see their homes.

omega 616 said:
Now, I'm not saying "lets go and kill these dumbs dumbs" but if the government passes a law that 30% of the population has to be culled, I vote for them!
People who express these kind of thoughts always seem to think they would be protected from such a law. I often wonder what circumstances would make people believe they are protected, and I ultimately come to the conclusion this is just the kind of thinking that leads to Nazism and genocide. Hell, you are suggesting genocide.
I am actually pretty objective about it ... only 'cos I know such a thing would never happen. I often think about where humanity would be if we had a zero tolerance policy about genetic flaws and/or a min. IQ ...

Say for example, that you need glasses (like I do) you would be killed or you were born with Huntingtons or Down's syndrome. Would the world be filled with super intelligent people all trying to do the best for the planet, humanity and be far more technologically advanced or would the gene pool be too shallow, meaning a lot more genetic defects appear ... so the world is actually pretty baron ... would it be a utopia or just a couple of million people living on a tiny patch of the earth?

I am obviously not fully clued up on what would happen and I like that, gives it a sense of mystery. I just think it's something to think about

demonbazza

Aug 10, 2012
omega 616 said:
PirateRose said:
When we had the Black Forest Fire here in Colorado, I remember on the news seeing a woman chew a police office out for not updating Google maps so they can see their homes.

omega 616 said:
Now, I'm not saying "lets go and kill these dumbs dumbs" but if the government passes a law that 30% of the population has to be culled, I vote for them!
People who express these kind of thoughts always seem to think they would be protected from such a law. I often wonder what circumstances would make people believe they are protected, and I ultimately come to the conclusion this is just the kind of thinking that leads to Nazism and genocide. Hell, you are suggesting genocide.
I am actually pretty objective about it ... only 'cos I know such a thing would never happen. I often think about where humanity would be if we had a zero tolerance policy about genetic flaws and/or a min. IQ ...

Say for example, that you need glasses (like I do) you would be killed or you were born with Huntingtons or Down's syndrome. Would the world be filled with super intelligent people all trying to do the best for the planet, humanity and be far more technologically advanced or would the gene pool be too shallow, meaning a lot more genetic defects appear ... so the world is actually pretty baron ... would it be a utopia or just a couple of million people living on a tiny patch of the earth?

I am obviously not fully clued up on what would happen and I like that, gives it a sense of mystery. I just think it's something to think about
This thread offshoot has got me thinking of the TV show 'UTOPIA', UK channel 4. Highly recommend it

ChildofGallifrey

May 26, 2008
Seraj33 said:
J Tyran said:
Sigh, maybe that department should start badgering the state courts about having the power to issue on the spot fines for this kind of behaviour. Wastes less time than trying to prosecute them but sends a message that it won't be tolerated.
I have always thought that prank/meaningless calls to any emergency line should be fined.
With the kind of money they'd make from that, they could afford to have ED-209 patrolling the streets.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Not even surprised. The vast majority of people obsessed with Facebook (i.e. most people ON Facebook) are irrational morons who collectively suffer from an almost total detachment from reality.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
The first thing that poped into my mind was my old friend bender here

Then I just started to feel sad. I honestly cannot understand how anyone could become so attached to Facebook that they would call the emergency services. Are the mentally defective?

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Seraj33 said:
J Tyran said:
Sigh, maybe that department should start badgering the state courts about having the power to issue on the spot fines for this kind of behaviour. Wastes less time than trying to prosecute them but sends a message that it won't be tolerated.
I have always thought that prank/meaningless calls to any emergency line should be fined.
In the UK it is a prosecutable offense to use the emergency number unless it is an emergency.

Because people call 999 for utterly stupid reasons.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Thyunda said:
I think the real question is 'what did they want the sheriff's department to do about it?'
"Go onto the internet and tell the internet gnomes that their facebook is like totally broken and I can't upload the 300 pictures of me and my friends sweaty faces in every slight corner of the town we all drunkenly stumbled around just a few hours ago! THE WORLD NEEDS TO KNOW THIS IS A NATIONAL CRISIS."

...That's what I imagine the dramatic retelling on the 5-part documentary of this harrowing ordeal will be like.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I'm not surprised about this at all. This is the type of world we live in now. People are so attached to their tech that they panic if they don't have it. It's sad, but it's reality now.

I've often wondered what would happen to the world if all cell phones stopped working for a week. Just a single week.

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
Wow. Just. WOOOOW.

I don't know what's better. This or the multiple [http://www.wcyb.com/couple-calls-911-over-hash-browns/23410792] counts [http://content.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1903486_1903487_1903411,00.html] of [http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/stupid/mcnuggets-emergency] idiots [http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/the-sideshow/man-arrested-after-calling-911-for-wrong-mcdonald-s-order-171516401.html] who call 911 because McDonald's messed up their order.

Vareoth

Mar 14, 2012
Good lord, what a bunch of desperate cunts. I hope they didn't waste too much time that could have been used to help people with real emergencies.

DirgeNovak said:
Wow. Just. WOOOOW.

I don't know what's better. This or the multiple [http://www.wcyb.com/couple-calls-911-over-hash-browns/23410792] counts [http://content.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1903486_1903487_1903411,00.html] of [http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/stupid/mcnuggets-emergency] idiots [http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/the-sideshow/man-arrested-after-calling-911-for-wrong-mcdonald-s-order-171516401.html] who call 911 because McDonald's messed up their order.
That was a thing? I feel like drinking quicksilver now...

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
this is brilliant. remninds me when google was down for 30 minutes and people flipped their shit. literally. it was considered the least productive day of the year. also it will be know as the day google servers rebooted for skynet 1.0 update, but we have to keep that quiet for a while yet.

omega 616 said:
I often think about where humanity would be if we had a zero tolerance policy about genetic flaws and/or a min. IQ ...

Nazis actually tried it. the results were ironically unusually high conceptration of genetic disorders from their selected "arian superrace" families. so that would not work.

i think a much better solution would be like in movie gattaca, where you could select what kind of baby you want instead.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
The most surprising thing about this is how I'm not surprised at all by this. :p

Seriously, I think it would do the world a lot of good if Facebook were to go down for a month.

Of course, that might just trigger Ragnarok...The End War. :3

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
PirateRose said:
Exemption depends on the criteria that's used. Various Police, government, and union agencies use aptitude tests to place or test potential recruits.

The recent Police selection I was a part of was pretty telling: 8,000 people applied, only 3,000 had the bare minimum score to pass and make it on the selection list. And the PELLETB by far the easiest aptitude test I've ever taken, just BS pattern matching and sentence completion. A world in which the 5,000 people that couldn't get the minimum score still have voting and reproductive rights is an extremely scary concept to me.

Saika Renegade

Nov 18, 2009
This isn't the most ridiculous reason to call 911 that I've heard of before, but it's definitely up there on the list. As someone blighted by mandatory Comcast use due to an implicit monopoly in my area, I have lost internet service for entire weekends before, and even when I was annoyed by it, I still knew who to call to fix it and who to blame for the mess.

Part of me still fails to entirely grasp how some people classify not having Facebook as an emergency situation. Having lived a comfortable life thus far without using Facebook, Google+, or even MySpace back in its heyday, I just can't see what's so positively essential about it that people think that it's a critical emergency that needs resolution now the moment there's an outage.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
ChildofGallifrey said:
Seraj33 said:
J Tyran said:
With the kind of money they'd make from that, they could afford to have ED-209 patrolling the streets.
Yeah, but the first ones go to fix detriot. Everyone knows that.

BoredRolePlayer

Nov 9, 2010
omega 616 said:
Only yesterday, while I walked to the shops, was I thinking about over population and the kinds of people humanity is trying to save.

I mean I am sure these people who called the police to deal with facebook being down, are nice people (not bright but nice) but are these people aren't really productive ... they keep the economy going but they wont be remembered for anything and there are millions of these people, just clogging up cities.

Not to be rude but what do you do to not be the 30% culled if that was a thing?

EDIT:

On topic with this post, addiction is a odd thing isn't it? I mean only a addict would freak out that facebook is down and call the cops. And I thought I was bad when I couldn't focus with out music at work.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Your lack of a real life and real friends is not an emergency...!

Okay, before I get rightfully raked over the coals: I do use Facebook myself, though I try not to check more than a couple of times a day at most, and post maybe once a week at most. I'm not in any games at the moment, I resist any impulse to get into new ones, and I mostly use it to help keep track of people's birthdays, party invitations, and the like. I don't have any "friends" that I don't/wouldn't associate with in real life. If your use is otherwise, that's your business.

It just pisses me off that the phone lines might have been tied up for even a moment while someone with an actual life-threatening emergency was shunted so some fools with no sense of priorities or perspective could embarrass themselves.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Mydnyght said:
(*buries face in hands*)
Jesus fuck.... Is there anything left that people won't call 911 for?
Emergencies?

*Rimshot*

OT: I am the best and the brightest stock of human being. I am in on the wave of the future, but only the good parts. I keep my way out of traps like Facebook and look proudly on real innovation. This people are ridiculous!

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
BoredRolePlayer said:
omega 616 said:
Only yesterday, while I walked to the shops, was I thinking about over population and the kinds of people humanity is trying to save.

I mean I am sure these people who called the police to deal with facebook being down, are nice people (not bright but nice) but are these people aren't really productive ... they keep the economy going but they wont be remembered for anything and there are millions of these people, just clogging up cities.

Not to be rude but what do you do to not be the 30% culled if that was a thing?

EDIT:

On topic with this post, addiction is a odd thing isn't it? I mean only a addict would freak out that facebook is down and call the cops. And I thought I was bad when I couldn't focus with out music at work.
Not to sound big headed or anything but I have to imagine I am more preferable that say anybody in prison? I would even go so far as to say people who are like anybody on Jersey shore? Meth heads?

I don't drink, never been in trouble with the law, do voluntary work, honest (today I thought it was the 3rd and my train ticket runs out on the third. So, I rode the train to work, realized it was the 4th ... so on my way home I bought a return. I even could have gotten away with never paying today), I often get called intelligent (even though I don't think I deserve such a compliment... I suck at maths, my English stinks etc).

Maybe I wouldn't make the cut but I don't think I would be killed.