L4D Fans Reprogram Road Signs to "Zombies Ahead"

Stuberfinn88

Nov 13, 2009
Kwaren said:
It's easy to do. Just ask google.

"It will ask you for a password. Try "DOTS", the default password.

In all likelihood, the crew will not have changed it. However if they did, never fear. Hold "Control" and "Shift" and while holding, enter "DIPY". This will reset the sign and reset the password to "DOTS" in the process. You're in"

Am I the only one that thinks maybe, just maybe, these things should be a little harder to change? They usually are protected with a tiny lock, and sometimes that's not even on there.

It's illegal so do it at your own risk.
Yeah its pretty simple to do when you know the steps, and the construction company is too lazy to put in any proper deterrents.

Another model method:

"It will ask you for both a username and password. The default password is usually the model number of that specific device painted in black, and the default username is Sunbelt.
those are pretty much the easiest to get into, most others have some kind of deterrent such as a lock and key. Definitely not reccomended in trying this, but its not like the people that did these things are super geniuses, its very easy to do, they just didn't get caught.

Rayne870

Nov 28, 2010
That is pretty awesome, and it is great that it was well received. I hope that it doesn't continue when the actual road work begins though as that would be hazardous.

KorLeonis

Mar 15, 2010
Old news. This in one of the constantly recurring themes on 4chan and eBaums, every few months the instructions are posted and a new batch of photos pops up. Not sure where the author is getting the dubious connection to L4D, many other zombie inspirations out there. Definitely needs more warnings about the grue.

Dafttechno

May 19, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
L4D Fans Reprogram Road Signs to "Zombies Ahead"

A gang of ne'er-do-wells in Pennsylvania hacked a pair of electronic road signs in the early hours of Sunday morning, reprogramming them to warn travelers to be prepared to stop for zombies.

Those big, portable electronic signs that warn drivers about construction or other looming road hazards are a familiar sign to most travelers but the message flashing at drivers in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania on Sunday morning was a little unusual, to say the least. Instead of being warned about reduced speeds or workers on the road, Sunday morning commuters were told to watch out for "Zombies Ahead."

The signs were put up to warn drivers about a road paving project scheduled to start on March 27 but somebody - Left 4 Dead [http://www.amazon.com/Left-4-Dead-Game-Year-Pc/dp/B0025P9I9C/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1300822264&sr=8-4] fans, to be precise - got into them and changed their messages. How it was done is still a mystery; Lancaster County construction engineer Ken Wilson said, "It's my understanding that they would need a key to get into the box and a certain code to change the wording."

Wilson and others on the project said they've never seen anything like this before, but fortunately they appeared to take it all in stride. The contractor handling the road work sent someone to reprogram the signs but didn't bother contacting police. "The message could have been a lot worse than it was," Wilson said. "In my opinion, it was a prank. They could have put something more sinister, something causing more panic."

And how do we know the job was done by Left 4 Dead fans? The "Zombies Ahead" warning rotated to "Watch for Hunters," while the second sign read, "Be alert for Tanks."

Source: Kotaku [http://www.heraldonline.com/2011/03/22/2924374/caution-zombies-ahead.html]

Lancaster Country, Pennsylvania? Try South Carolina. This has been in our local paper the past 2 days.

MCU

Oct 27, 2010
KorLeonis said:
Old news. This in one of the constantly recurring themes on 4chan and eBaums, every few months the instructions are posted and a new batch of photos pops up. Not sure where the author is getting the dubious connection to L4D, many other zombie inspirations out there. Definitely needs more warnings about the grue.
Read the last paragraph. Warning about "hunters" and "tanks" doesn't make much sense otherwise.

It's an old prank for sure, but it's still a fun one!

jawakiller

Jan 14, 2011
Good thing my uncle didn't see it. He would have loaded the shotgun (yes he keeps on in his truck) and kept going. Looking for zombies. Yes he really would.

MrGalactus

Elite Member
Sep 18, 2010
Yeah, it's easy for you people to laugh at it. Did you ask yourself why everyone is driving away from there?

Carlston

Apr 8, 2008
Not original, sorry...

This prank happened in Austin Tx like 3 years ago. Nice copy cat kids... but been done ;p

8bitmaster

Devourer of pie
Nov 9, 2009
I saw one of those in Illinois at a closed gas station. On one side it said caution zombies ahead.

(on the other side it said stop. Hammer time.)

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Points for adding in the warning about hunters and tanks, but otherwise...been there, saw that.

There are so many more genres one could use for those signs. Wish my town had such energized kids. Their idea of fun is just stealing the signs or pushing them over.

Darkauthor81

Feb 10, 2007
The best thing about this was that the people who put up the sign and had to change it back had a sense of humor about it and didn't go nuts.