L4D Fans Reprogram Road Signs to "Zombies Ahead"

MattRooney06

Apr 15, 2009
people need to stop doing this seriously

as soon as i saw this sign i would turn right around and begin my Zombie survival plan...its a good plan but im not too bright and wheyyyy to paranoid....lets just say many an april 1st has ended with me hiding in the forest...

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
I still remember driving and seeing that in Austin, a few years back. I thought it was hilarious then, and it's still funny now. Well done, guys, and well done to that company, for not panicking about it.

Ih8pkmn

Apr 20, 2010
Of course, the non-gaming media missed the reference completely. They thought they were talking about ACTUAL TANKS.

DaHero

Jan 10, 2011
gibboss28 said:
Hate to say it but its not funny the second time around.
Neither was Modern Warfare *ba dum tish*

Honestly? This was really funny....but WHY didn't they say "Pillz here!" ?

Twilight.falls

Jun 7, 2010
Fun side of brain: That's a pretty funny prank.
Serious side of brain: That's a potentially dangerous prank, what if the original message was important?

escapistraptor

Dec 1, 2009
HO. LY. SHIT!

I live in Lancaster city! Who did this?! I'd love to find fellow geeks in the area. There's not a lot of organized geek clubs in the area, closest is an anime club in the city of Reading 40 min away. I knew there were fellow nerds in the area as evidenced by this and this guy:

adamson1000 said:
i only live 45 minutes away from this!

Maybe I should try to organized something

Jelly ^.^

Mar 11, 2010
THAT'S WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU DON'T CHANGE THE DEFAULT PASSWORD ON THOSE THINGS, WHICH EVERYONE KNOWS IS

DOTS

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
I'll only say that We pennsylvanian's (particular us western pennsylvanians) already are. What with all the Ramero films that filmed here.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Eri said:
Maybe we should be more concerned that everyone ignored the zombie warning and went ahead anyway. This kind of behavior is exactly why a zombie apocalypse would get so bad, because no one one listen until it was too late.
Maybe they had all read the Cracked article [http://www.cracked.com/article_18683_7-scientific-reasons-zombie-outbreak-would-fail-quickly.html]?

Logic 0

Aug 28, 2009
Let's just be glad there were any zombies or else the slow traffic would make them canned food.

Ajna

Doublethinker
Mar 19, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
"It's my understanding that they would need a key to get into the box and a certain code to change the wording."

It's not very hard at all.

(Apologies for slight racism in the attached image. I didn't make it.)

The .50 Caliber Cow

Pokemon GO away
Mar 12, 2011
Had I seen those signs I would have immedietly pulled over and started running in the other direction. Comes with being paranoid...

[sub]Moo...[/sub]

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Dafttechno said:
Andy Chalk said:
L4D Fans Reprogram Road Signs to "Zombies Ahead"

A gang of ne'er-do-wells in Pennsylvania hacked a pair of electronic road signs in the early hours of Sunday morning, reprogramming them to warn travelers to be prepared to stop for zombies.

Those big, portable electronic signs that warn drivers about construction or other looming road hazards are a familiar sign to most travelers but the message flashing at drivers in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania on Sunday morning was a little unusual, to say the least. Instead of being warned about reduced speeds or workers on the road, Sunday morning commuters were told to watch out for "Zombies Ahead."

The signs were put up to warn drivers about a road paving project scheduled to start on March 27 but somebody - Left 4 Dead [http://www.amazon.com/Left-4-Dead-Game-Year-Pc/dp/B0025P9I9C/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1300822264&sr=8-4] fans, to be precise - got into them and changed their messages. How it was done is still a mystery; Lancaster County construction engineer Ken Wilson said, "It's my understanding that they would need a key to get into the box and a certain code to change the wording."

Wilson and others on the project said they've never seen anything like this before, but fortunately they appeared to take it all in stride. The contractor handling the road work sent someone to reprogram the signs but didn't bother contacting police. "The message could have been a lot worse than it was," Wilson said. "In my opinion, it was a prank. They could have put something more sinister, something causing more panic."

And how do we know the job was done by Left 4 Dead fans? The "Zombies Ahead" warning rotated to "Watch for Hunters," while the second sign read, "Be alert for Tanks."

Source: Kotaku [http://www.heraldonline.com/2011/03/22/2924374/caution-zombies-ahead.html]

Lancaster Country, Pennsylvania? Try South Carolina. This has been in our local paper the past 2 days.
Do they need a correct an error button now? Between this, using The Name Game icon for Critical Miss and the rollover text about the 1990 Captain America being "Own The Director", it's looking like somebody needs to do a bit of quality control.