L4D2 Banned

Phoenix Arrow

Sep 3, 2008
Crash486 said:
Phoenix Arrow said:
Grayjack72 said:
Why is Australia so strict? Pretty ironic considering it was founded by convicts.
They're not really. The problem is they have to R/18 rating so all the games that are deemed to be too graphic/scary/morally objectionable are rejected. They have no R rating for games because only kiddies play games and why would a kiddie want to shoot zombies or steal cars? They have one for films though so it's just their government being obnoxious.
I can't tell if you're being facetious or not, but surely you know the video game market appeals to quite a large age range, the majority of which are between the ages of 18 and 35.
Rest assured I was. I'm over 18 myself but that's what the classification board seems to think in Australia.

Osloq said:
Phoenix Arrow said:
Grayjack72 said:
Why is Australia so strict? Pretty ironic considering it was founded by convicts.
They're not really. The problem is they have to R/18 rating so all the games that are deemed to be too graphic/scary/morally objectionable are rejected. They have no R rating for games because only kiddies play games and why would a kiddie want to shoot zombies or steal cars? They have one for films though so it's just their government being obnoxious.
Australia actually has quite a large percentage of over 18 gamers. The problem is the entertainment minister keeps on getting changed when they're is about to be a break through so it goes way down on the bottom of the list of things to do. Also I don't think I can over iterate how dumb the Australian government is. I'd rather just let the Queen rule again because at least monarchs have a reason to be retarded (not swimming outside the gene pool if you get my meaning) and she'd be less corrupt.
Again, I was being sarcastic. In hindsight that never works out on the internet so I should probably stop doing it.

RavenTT

Aug 13, 2009
The governement is full of old farts who know nothing, this plus internet censorship makes me serious about moving to America.
our gov is so stupid it makes me cry inside.
I like to import R rated games for my ps3 such as prototype but apparently that is against the law, my friend got his games confiscated by customs.
stupid, stupid government

Bob_F_It

It stands for several things
May 7, 2008
ekkaman said:
Thurmer said:
http://au.pc.ign.com/articles/102/1025650p1.html

good fun being australian at the moment
http://www.news.com.au/files/left%204%20dead%202-%20classification%20board%20decsion%20report.pdf

the reason is ...
Yeah, I was reading that. It seems that Valve kicked the violence up past the point at which the ACB would accept. I'm particularly looking at:
Projectile shots to infected humans can cause abdonimal wounds which can reveal innards of even cause intestines to spill from the wounds
(Italics: grammatical bitching)

Ghostkai said:
BONK!

http://uk.pc.ign.com/dor/objects/14352245/left-4-dead-2/images/left-4-dead-2-20090707095709985.html
That image also shows an extra problem. L4D1 infected were all ghostly white, making it obvious that they were far from alive. Here we have someone who's skin isn't discoloured, looking a bit more alive.

So Valve turned the violence up to 11, and the ACB doesn't like it.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
eezaak said:
The fact you will be able to download the game directly off Steam side steps the whole banning issue. And for fucks sake could we have some common sense from our political leaders?
Actually, Steam filter by nation. I know this because half the games steam advertise end up with me looking at a page that says 'This item is not available in your region'. So, unless they 'accidently' let Australians have access to it, I don't think Steam will help.

ezeroast

Jan 25, 2009
Even after buying through steam/downloading/ebay/amazon Wont servers be a problem?

edit: not sure if anyone above has posted this but there's a petition going around. Not just for Australians to sign because I'm sure none of the L4D fans out there want the game changed just because of one stupid government.
http://www.petitiononline.com/l4d2inoz/petition-sign.html

Please sign

Markness

Apr 23, 2008
Australia's not weird, Australia isn't quirky and crazy and overprotective. It's one man. Michael Atkinson.

Quote from Wikipedia "Atkinson is responsible for maintaining Australia's status as one of the few Western countries without a "Mature" rating for video games"

Phoenix Arrow

Sep 3, 2008
Bob_F_It said:
Yeah, I was reading that. It seems that Valve kicked the violence up past the point at which the ACB would accept. I'm particularly looking at:
Projectile shots to infected humans can cause abdonimal wounds which can reveal innards of even cause intestines to spill from the wounds
(Italics: grammatical bitching)
Eww...
I hate when games do that. If that happens then I'm honestly looking forward to the game less. Why make games needlessly gory? What does it add to the table apart some give certain members of society a stiffy?

Thurmer

Jul 15, 2009
actually noone in australia drinks fosters, fosters is just the father brand for alot better beers :p

CargoHold

Sep 16, 2009
Fuuuuuuu---

I hope the senile old right-wingers get their wrinkly old scrotums stuck in a CD drive. Just give us a damn R18+ classification.

Thurmer

Jul 15, 2009
they even have a cricketbat in the game and the 'debatable' best cricket nation can't play it, thats like banning a baseball game from the best baseball nation... japan! haha suck it US :p... and just realised i wont be playing l4d2 and back to being sad :(

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
I don't even get angry at news relating to how much Australia gets screwed over when it comes to anything game related any more. It just tires me, and not in the sense that it bores me, but that every time something like this happens I can feel a little part of me die. The same applies to people who are so uneducated about videogames that they don't even realise just how badly Australia is treated compared to other countries.

I'm just so tired of the amount of crap we are forced, and I emphasize the word forced, to put up with. I'm not heavily into politics, but I am vaguely aware that these people are supposed to have been elected by the general populace. The fact that I, as of this year, fall into this particular definition of the word populace, makes me feel ashamed, and kind of sickened as well.

riskroWe

May 12, 2009
Markness said:
Australia's not weird, Australia isn't quirky and crazy and overprotective. It's one man. Michael Atkinson.

Quote from Wikipedia "Atkinson is responsible for maintaining Australia's status as one of the few Western countries without a "Mature" rating for video games"
Well we can't also blame Michael Atkinson for the internet censor, the water shortage and the lack of nuclear power. Clearly there's something wrong with the country itself.

Thurmer

Jul 15, 2009
Markness said:

someone should shoot him, that'll teach him games don't make people violent, fucking politicians do!

ps. yes irony ino

also looking over the signatures on that petition, my fav: 843. peter DIAF.

The Riff

Aug 23, 2008
Doesn't really stop you guys just taking a trip to USA or somewhere and buy it while you are on holiday.

CargoHold

Sep 16, 2009
riskroWe said:
Well we can't also blame Michael Atkinson for the internet censor, the water shortage and the lack of nuclear power. Clearly there's something wrong with the country itself.
Seconded.