LA Noire Dev Dropped Eleven Cases to Make the Game Fit on the Disc

kloiberin_time

Jan 27, 2011
Wolfram01 said:
More discs aren't a bad thing
In theory I agree with you. In practice developers of "Epic" games will jam pack as much crap and bloat as they can to make their game multi-disk. The same thing happened with the PS1 back in the day when you started to see Square making 4 disk games that could have fit on two disks.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Waaghpowa said:
mad825 said:
Release them as DLC, what's the problem?
The problem is paying more for content on a game that we already paid full price on. They're going to charge us for content that was originally intended to be included but wasn't because of storage restrictions of DVD's.
Sorry but what's the problem again? At least it isn't currently on the disc therefore they won't be stooping too far low compared other...events in the past. probably wouldn't even get a footnote in some minor gaming news website.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
kloiberin_time said:
Wolfram01 said:
More discs aren't a bad thing
In theory I agree with you. In practice developers of "Epic" games will jam pack as much crap and bloat as they can to make their game multi-disk. The same thing happened with the PS1 back in the day when you started to see Square making 4 disk games that could have fit on two disks.
I suppose so, but on the other hand I still recall installing XF5700 Mantis on my oooold PC, with 8 3.5" floppys... so it's nothing unusual lol.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XF5700_Mantis

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Waaghpowa said:
ZeroMachine said:
Wolfram01 said:
So basically Xbox screwed over PS3 and PC owners alike? Nice job...
HAHA, OH, that's, that's funny... that's...

... oh, you're serious? Wow... Huh. Way to turn this into an anti-Xbox news thing, even though that was not mentioned once in the article. Way to be.

Be pissed at Bondi, if anything. I'm really disappointed. I felt that something big was missing from the game and, lo and behold, I wasn't exactly wrong.

captcha: half done

How does it read our minds sometimes?
Obvious fanboy stupidity from his post aside
I find it interesting you choose to call it being a fanboy, as opposed to the significantly more appropriate term of a hater. Generally speaking, when you only dislike 1 thing out of a group, you're not a fanboy of the rest but a hater of one. Plus, BluRay holds, what, 2.5x the data of a single Xbox DVD (guesstimate)? That's not really being a fanboy to state the obvious, although I did missread that first portion of the article in that they wanted to fit the game on a single BluRay so my bad there.

But actually I was making a subtle "console vs PC"/"consoles holding back PCs" joke, or perhaps mocking that old argument, by elevating one of the consoles to the equal of pc. If you can't tell by my avatar, I am a PC fanboy - but I do enjoy my consoles as well.

THE_NAMSU

Jan 1, 2011
Could have made it a bonus content sort of disc innit? Install and store on PS3! Then again it probably was massive...
I only have an 80GB PS3 :s.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
So maybe I missed this, but how does thi game have trouble fitting on a single BD, and how does it manage it on a DVD then?

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Wolfram01 said:
Edit: sorry, miss read. This is what happens when you're playing WoW at the same time.

Although what I was getting at is more that the format is out of date and that the platform isn't necessarily to blame.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
mad825 said:
Waaghpowa said:
mad825 said:
The problem is paying more for content on a game that we already paid full price on. They're going to charge us for content that was originally intended to be included but wasn't because of storage restrictions of DVD's.
Sorry but what's the problem again? At least it isn't currently on the disc therefore they won't be stooping too far low compared other...events in the past. probably wouldn't even get a footnote in some minor gaming news website.
Some people, including myself, don't like how DLC works sometimes. Call me old school, but I liked expansions that would add enough content to be a full game for 20 bucks rather than individually purchasing missions which probably run about an hour each, if that. I'm not entirely sure how long the LA Noir DLC is, but I generally burned through Bioware's stuff pretty quick.

LostNumber

Jul 17, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
So maybe I missed this, but how does thi game have trouble fitting on a single BD, and how does it manage it on a DVD then?
I don't have the game, but I believe it's on multiple DVDs (I think a friend that has it said there was three).

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
You know, I think this is the reason why the game was extremely bland.

Not because the content was chopped, it was that they couldn't manage to fit a well rounded story in a condensed amount of time.

Seriously, 11 cases? Imagine how much more polish could have been put into everything else had they not wasted the time on those 11 cases. They couldn't actually make me care enough about the character in 15+ hours. Miniseries do it in a shorter amount of time.

sheic99

Oct 15, 2008
Waaghpowa said:
mad825 said:
Waaghpowa said:
mad825 said:
Some people, including myself, don't like how DLC works sometimes. Call me old school, but I liked expansions that would add enough content to be a full game for 20 bucks rather than individually purchasing missions which probably run about an hour each, if that. I'm not entirely sure how long the LA Noir DLC is, but I generally burned through Bioware's stuff pretty quick.
Considering that they're talking about content that was planned to be about 2/5 of whats currently on the disk, you're looking at an expansion pack. Besides Rockstar's DLC usually packs about 15 - 20 hours of gameplay into their DLC.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
sheic99 said:
Considering that they're talking about content that was planned to be about 2/5 of whats currently on the disk, you're looking at an expansion pack. Besides Rockstar's DLC usually packs about 15 - 20 hours of gameplay into their DLC.
We'll have to see how much they charge for it if they do put it up as DLC. It could vary from developer to developer, but a lot of DLC always seems to cost more than it's worth. I've played most of Bioware's DLC and on more than one occasion have I said "that's it?" simply because for the 5-10 dollars, it felt lacking.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
LostNumber said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
I don't have the game, but I believe it's on multiple DVDs (I think a friend that has it said there was three).
Ahhhhh...That explains it. I was under the impression it was one disc. Well, obviously it IS one disc for PS3....

Still, I'm somewhat curious as to what made this game so big. Just less puzzled, since I'm not longer operating under the impression it was on DVD for XBox 260.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
They should have put it on more blu-rays and DVDs then. Very ironic how PS3 fanboys are always complaining about multiplatform games missing out on content because of 360 using DVDs (complaints that usually turn out to be unfounded), but here we have a game that lost content because of PS3 using blu-ray discs. I wonder, it is because using two blu-ray discs would be super expensive for that version? Did they just not want to have PS3 fanboys raging about having to change discs even though it's not a big deal? Either way, I'm not particularly happy that the new high-capacity storage discs we're supposed to be praising for allowing us to have more content just actually denied us some.

Waaghpowa said:
Please read the article. It wasn't included because of storage restrictions on Blu-ray discs, not DVDs. The 360 version was already on 3 DVDs, so what would be one or two more? On the other hand, the game wouldn't fit on one blu-ray disc if the burglary desk was in the game, so they cut it to make the game fit on one blu-ray. That means blu-ray's storage restrictions caused the content to be cut, not DVD's.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
mjc0961 said:
I simply suggested it as a possibility, maybe 3 discs was too much and they didn't want to add any more than that. There's also the possibility that they deliberately held content back so that they could charge for it later.

TwistedEllipses

Nov 18, 2008
This explains why in the game after you get promoted (from traffic to homocide) you're introduced as coming from the Burglary desk... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHY7g2ezO90&feature=relmfu#t=1m05s