LA Times Piece On Wii Skepticism

Junaid Alam

Apr 10, 2007
LA Times Piece On Wii Skepticism

The Los Angeles Times ran an article in its business section Monday titled, "Can Wii Prolong Winning Streak?" [http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-wii28may28,1,2453506.story?ctrack=3&cset=true]

The lead-in suggested no: "As it raced past rivals to become the hottest new video-game console, some analysts predicted that Nintendo Co.'s Wii was little more than a fad."

However, only one skeptical analyst is quoted in the piece - Van Baker, a Consumer technologies analyst with Gartner Inc., based in Stamford, Connecticut.

He says, "Its appeal is primarily to casual gamers, and there's a serious question about how long casual gamers will stay engaged with the platform," later adding, "The Wii in a couple of years is going to look like old technology with low resolution, slow performance."

The rest of the piece cites data, anecdotal evidence, sales figures and developers all at odds with that assessment.

Demand continues to far outstrip supply, Wii unit sales are heavier than its competitors, developers find it easier to code for than competitors and the platform reaches a broader spectrum of people.

The article also cited a revealing statistic: "31% of Wii owners surveyed in March by Frank N. Magid Associates, a media consulting firm, said they expected to play the Wii more often a year from now, compared to 21% of Xbox 360 owners."

Bongo Bill

Jul 13, 2006
Junaid Alam said:
"The Wii in a couple of years is going to look like old technology with low resolution, slow performance."
And when have casual gamers ever cared about that?

I remain convinced that the purpose of analysts is to sell papers.

Ajar

Aug 21, 2006
Junaid Alam said:
"31% of Wii owners surveyed in March by Frank N. Magid Associates, a media consulting firm, said they expected to play the Wii more often a year from now, compared to 21% of Xbox 360 owners."
What's interesting to me is that neither of those numbers is very good. I'd be curious to see what percentage of Wii and 360 owners said they expected to play their consoles about the same amount a year from now.

Blaxton

Dec 14, 2006
Ajar said:
Junaid Alam said:
"31% of Wii owners surveyed in March by Frank N. Magid Associates, a media consulting firm, said they expected to play the Wii more often a year from now, compared to 21% of Xbox 360 owners."
What's interesting to me is that neither of those numbers is very good. I'd be curious to see what percentage of Wii and 360 owners said they expected to play their consoles about the same amount a year from now.
Yeah, I'm going to play my Wii for years, as well as any other console I can get my hands on.