Laboring at The Escapist

Archon

Nov 12, 2002
Laboring at The Escapist

Think you have what it takes to work for the gaming industry?

Read Full Article

ccesarano

Oct 3, 2007
My first answer to question 2 was "SWINE FLU IS JUST THE FLU GOD DAMMIT!", THEN followed by Zombies. Which then made me think of Left 4 Dead.

Here I was hoping this was a job opening. Still, it's interesting to see the sort of application process you guys throw in. I just wish you had more positions to offer considering how hard it is to get ANY job at the moment.

Also, I will say it's interesting to see how even amongst gamers there is a misconception about "getting paid to play video games all day". ANYONE can play a game and write what they think about it, but it's completely different to take notes while you play, form an educated opinion that's good for a wide range of players (even if it goes against how you personally felt about the game) and then write a review with limited word-count and, oh yeah, must somehow be more entertaining than the thousands of other gaming websites out there.

And that's only considering the review portion, which isn't what you guys even focus on. Keeping up with news is not only a pain, but takes a lot longer than some realize.

Games journalism really is just like any other job. It may sound fun, but in the end it is work, and after a 40 hour week (so we assume though realistically that's not the case), work gets tiring.

I think THAT is what people need to know when it comes to working for anyone in this industry.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
well, I live in Britain so thats me out of the question anyway :p

for the questions I though of:

1. GTA IV for now, but I am hotly anticipating Assassins' Creed II and Modern Warfare 2 to become my favourites... hopefully.

2. Yep, zombies, definitely.

3. Though technically speaking war between the two would be impossible (as Star Wars is set 'a long, long, time ago, in a galaxy far, far away', in comparison to Star Trek, which is set in our galaxy in the 24th century - as far as I can tell neither of them possess the technology for time travel or inter-galaxial travel, though time travel has occured on numerous occassions [by accident] in Star Trek and Picard and his crew found themselves temporarily 2 galaxies away from the Milky Way... however this is hardly 'far, far away' in comparison to the universe.), theoretically speaking I would say Star Trek - while the Empire is in a nearly-continuous state of political tension and war upon itself (ie. The Rebels), Star Trek is often at peace, hence the United Federation of Planets, etc etc. Therefore Star Trek would have been better prepared for engagement, compared to Star Wars.

4. Picard, but mainly because I prefer The Next Generation as a whole in comparison to the original series.

5. I would choose Lego. Puzzle's just confuzzle me.

6. This one hurt so, so much...

andypants

Jul 26, 2009
And here I was thinking, "Man, I'd love a job in Games Journalism".

Just to be shot down by questions 3 and 4.

I might still contribute with the 'Community reviews', though any game I'm playing has been played by everybody already.. since I don't have a job and I'm just playing through Bioshock after finishing Portal a month ago.

ghalkhsdkssakgh

Jul 16, 2009
I got the zombie one right! Haha! Unfortunately I don't watch Star Trek or Star Wars, so I'd have to guess those questions. If it had been Firefly on the other hand...

This was a really interesting article. Nice to see a bit of the inner workings of the job.

Citrus

Apr 25, 2008
I've been a gamer since I was four years old and never got into Star Wars or Star Trek. I know, crazy.

drakenabarion

Demiurge
Sep 11, 2009
Hi all,

This is my first post on these forums but I have been reading and watching The Escapist for awhile now. (and enjoying pretty much ever minute of it).

I have to say I wish these were the types of questions I could get asked in an interview. I work in science so its not too often that I would get this type of good humour in an interview. (I wish I worked on the Scientific analysis of gaming but what can I do?)

Still I will answer these questions, just for the fun of it.

1. This varied from week to week. I go for either some sort of RPG or something with little plot and violence. I've been enjoying Fallout 3 and The Lost Odyssey for the past few weeks. Yet I keep on going back to Mirror's Edge occasionally. Sure its not the best game ever but I enjoyed it a whole lot.

2. My first reaction was a Spanish zombie film called [REC], although that was set in a news building not a hospital.

3. This one can be a difficult one, but I always though that cloaking devices are a big advantage (which in an emergency, I bet the enterprise crew would steal and fit one). That and the random temporal shifting whenever the plot needed a filler would also have been a good help against the Star Wars universe. (However neither side would have much chance if the Battle Star Galactia universe got involved).

4. I liked Picard more. Not because I didnt like Kirk, but because he always sounded more in command, and I preferred the feel of the Next Generation more than the original (which is brilliant in its own right).

5. I chose Lego. I like puzzles but I've had Lego since I was about 5, and you can do more things with them (normally puzzles can be done once and then you are finished).

I don't know if I could work well in games journalism role but it definitely sounds more fun than a science job. :)

lewiswhitling

May 18, 2009
I didn't even understand number 6 tbh.. and here am I looking for work in games. And i wouldn't have got the zombie attack either, my first thought was of someone who was being particularly violent during surgery.

Frankydee

Mar 25, 2009
1)Castelvania SOTN, PSP port that I've been grinding away at my currently level 73 file. I need to try something else.

2)It's CNN, who cares.

3) Two words, Death Star. Need I say more?

4)I have to choose? I'd probably say Picard here since I sort of grew up with the Generations and beyond movies.

5)Rubiks Cube.

Osloq

Mar 9, 2008
1) I'd have to say Batman at the moment but my tastes change like the spring breeze so I could totally be over it in a couple of days and move on to Dawn of War or Mount and Blade.

2) Believe me if I see that News report my zombie survival plan goes into full effect regardless if there's "proof" it's something different. Plus the plan is so cool I wouldn't want to stop anyway.

3)Hmm this is actually a tough one. My knowledge of Star Trek is minimal because it wasn't on TV when I was growing up so I never got the chance to get into the mythos. Because of that I have no idea what their capabilities are. I think I'd bet on the empire though. Death stars and their whomp rat sized weak points aside, they have millions (billions?) of fanatical troops who are willing to die like lemmings for the emperor.They've got hundreds of giant spaceships, bristling with fighters which could seriously screw up a big ponderous cruiser (if that's what they've got in Trek :p) I also think the force powers would contribute in some way to victory.

4) Read above answer in regards to my knowledge on this subject. I'd have to go with Pickard at a stretch though. You can sense his authority while Kirk not so much. Plus Kirk looks like a bit of a pretty boy so not sure how bad ass he'd be in a full on battle but Pickard looks like he has the capacity to beat a man to death with a wrench if he had to for his crew.

5) Lego all the way. I still have a bunch of it from when I was a wee lad and everytime I go past the Lego section in the supermarket I have to be talked out of buying some of the new stuff. I used to build cars for my G.I. Joes out of Lego because my parents wouldn't get me vehicles. Which incidentally references the 6th question I believe ;)

I'd be interested in a career in games but not sure whether combining work and an addiction are such a good thing (see drug dealers who sample the merchandise). I'd also have a problem coming up with ideas to write about and my verbosity because most of the time if I'm left alone I'll be playing games, exercising or wasting away the hours on these forums xD

BlicaGB

Jul 10, 2009
1. What's currently your favorite game?
Shadow Complex... curse you Escapist for recommending such awesomeness! and now to get all the unlockables.

2. CNN reports civil unrest at local area hospitals, with many dead, and the National Guard has been called in. What do you think is happening?
Zombies, totally.

3. If Star Trek's Federation fought Star Wars' Empire, who would win - and why?
It'd say the Galactic Empire. Starfighters galore, Battleships 8km long (the size ofthe Executor, if memory serves), the Death Star and lightsabers. Plus a complete disregard for life. That's a winning combination!

4. Kirk or Picard?
Kirk, because he got all the ladies.

5. You can choose between playing with a set of Lego or assembling a thousand-piece puzzle. Which do you choose?
Lego!!

Syntax Error

Sep 7, 2008
1) I don't have a respectable gaming PC nor any of the current-gen consoles, so I'm gonna have to say my favorite game at the moment is WarCraft 3, specifically, DotA because that's the only game I can play at home. That, and Diablo 2 (modded using Median Xl after I tired of vanilla).

2) Hostile terrorist takeover? Funny you mentioned Zombie Apocalypse because just last Saturday, me and my cousins were playing a Zombie Apocalypse board game (Look for Last Night on Earth, it's pretty fun).

3) I'd say Star Wars, just because it had the Death Star. Not even all the money in the world would be enough to build a Death Star. Quite literally.

4) I won't get the job because I don't know a whole lot of Star Trek, but I would have said "whoever Patrick Stewart was playing". You gotta admit, Patrick Stewart looks like the kind of guy who commands respect through superior leadership skills.

5) Lego's for sure. While I do like puzzles from time to time, I will only end up frustrating myself if I can't solve it. This is also why I can only solve one side of a Rubik's cube.

I really like it here. The guys in gold are really friendly, not just some invisible forces who merely "observe".

zBeeble

Doublethinker
Nov 19, 2008
I'm not sure your summary answers to all the questions apply.

1) For question 1, I see your point. Personally, I'm "over" Fallout3 ATM, and by hours I play L4D and TF2 the most --- but these are really just social exercises for me. Evil genius was a Sick amount of fun, but "I'm between games right now" is probably the best way to put it --- playing a lot of demos, waiting for the new stuff. Reading articles like this, etc.

2. Hrm. Yeah... you're obviously describing the zombie apocalypse, but that could be nerd cred rather than geek cred. Not exactly the same. Could also be something entirely random. Outside games where the apocalypse is a good excuse for antisocial behavior (actually, I like the excuse in Prototype better), I don't look forward to the apocalypse --- I don't think I'm particularly well prepared.

3. I'm not sure on this one. We really never see either faction in big-war-space-battle against another worthy adversary. DS9 against the breen is the biggest battle we see --- most trek battles are many-on-one or one-on-one. Not many-on-many. Similarly, most empire battles are against "rebels" ... not organized military. this is like McGuyver vs. A-Team, but with less information. The Federation wins against the Dominion with a pretty evil bit of bio-warfare. I don't think either canon gives enough information to call it.

4. Here I completely disagree. Your description of the answer to this question is so US-centric. If 'I' were captain, 'I' would be more like Piccard. Rule of law, strategy, mind over matter, honour, duty. I like Hornblower, too. Kirk, however, is fun. Cowboy diplomacy, etc. Your question is vague --- allowing people much latitude. My first reaction would be: "for what?" Kirk's strengths are Cowboy diplomacy (maybe hubris?), intuition and his team. Piccard's strengths are stategy (intellect?), analysis and his team. Kirk is famous for cheating (Kobiashi Maru) and Piccard is famous for strategy (the piccard maneuver --- warping to point-blank range in a battle to deliver the killing blow). So ... I would say that Piccard is the better leader --- the one I would emulate. I'm not necessarily a good follower.

5. Hrm. Lego, I suppose. I have little patience for set tasks with one solution. I find even Lego somewhat limiting. It's not that I'm not good at solving puzzles --- but what's the point in assembling a large puzzle. The outcome is already known. It's not like I'd fail. I suppose it's the same with Lego. No possibility of failure. What my motivation for this scene?

Actually, I'm not looking for a full time gig. I read the escapist because I think about the games I play and like to read what other thinking people are thinking about games. I've considered writing something to submit --- but haven't met my own standards yet.

-zBeeble.

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
I really liked this article. It's amazing that so many people think working for a game design company or a game publication company is all fun and games. People forget that it is still a business and businesses have to make money.

There is the issue of objectivity. You can't be a flaming fanboy and just write about how Halo pwns and all other FPS suck or how the PS3 is liek teh best ting evar. Sometimes you have to play games you don't want to play and write a review about that game. You can't just say "Well Civ 9 sucks cause RTS is lame!" You need to know something about the genre, and know how to provide constructive criticism.

I used to know someone who reviewed games for a small magazine and he had to play the games he was reviewing on his own time. He didn't get paid to play System Shock 2 or Halo, he got paid for the reviews and articles he submitted. When he broke it down to me, the hours spent on gaming and then writing the review; he was making just above minimum wage. That also explained to me why he had a normal 9 to 5 job.

I always thought about trying to get involved in the game industry as a game designer/editor or reviewer/commentator. I have even applied at a few places in the past. I work as a Windows/VMware administrator now and gaming is my hobby, so I am used to being in front of a computer or TV just about all day. I think it would be great to work for a company where I can do both of the things I love and get paid for it. Right now it just seems unrealistic.

Oh, and I have to disagree a bit about the Kirk or Picard question. I always saw the difference more in terms of how that person would lead or handle a situation. Kirk was more of a shoot first, ask questions later type of guy. Picard was much more diplomatic and was more of a peacemaker. I also have a personal bias to Picard since I have great memories watching TNG with my Mom.

PlasticTree

May 17, 2009
So if I want a job with structure, but I prefer lego over puzzles, I'm screwed?

Fun column anyway.

hansari

May 31, 2009
Archon said:
I'm gonna be honest, the Kirk/Picard thing kinda turned me off.

I mean using "zombie apocalypse" as a significant deciding factor makes sense. That concept is timeless in the gaming world. But Star Trek is dated now (sorry to break some of your hearts), and the idea that such a comparison will fairly ween out new blood is silly.

I'm sure there are some members of younger generations who follow Star Trek like a cult, but there are so many more sci-fi options out there now. BattleStar Gallactica...Stargate...Andromeda...Firefly...

So the question either needs to be altered to be fairer for those who don't scour past tv sitcoms (the franchise has only recently enjoyed a boost in popularity with 2009 Star Trek) or dropped entirely.

After-all... I imagine the reason you don't have a "favorite table-top game" question is because of the same point...

(unless I'm wrong...which means I'm just not qualified to be a reporter on the video game industry...)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Oh, and the lego/puzzle question...what happens if you reply "mechano"...I can't remember if that was what they were called exactly... but it was stuff like this (I don't think lego made it...the pieces were metal)

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
hansari said:
Archon said:
I'm gonna be honest, the Kirk/Picard thing kinda turned me off.

I mean using "zombie apocalypse" as a significant deciding factor makes sense. That concept is timeless in the gaming world. But Star Trek is dated now (sorry to break some of your hearts), and the idea that such a comparison will fairly ween out new blood is silly.

I'm sure there are some members of younger generations who follow Star Trek like a cult, but there are so many more sci-fi options out there now. BattleStar Gallactica...Stargate...Andromeda...Firefly...

So the question either needs to be altered to be fairer for those who don't scour past tv sitcoms (the franchise has only recently enjoyed a boost in popularity with 2009 Star Trek) or dropped entirely.

After-all... I imagine the reason you don't have a "favorite table-top game" question is because of the same point...

(unless I'm wrong...which means I'm just not qualified to be a reporter on the video game industry...)
It's not just about being qualified for the job, it's also about meshing well with the rest of the team. We watch all sorts of sci-fi here - ok, I'm not sure we have an Andromeda fan in the house, but we have rabid BSG, Dr. Who, and Stargate fans aplenty - but a sneering dismissal of Trek wouldn't stand you in particularly good stead.

DeathQuaker

Oct 29, 2008
Wow, I'd fit right in (although some of my answers would be "both." I like Kirk for some things and Picard for others; and why can't I assemble the puzzle and then use Legos to build 3D terrain on top of it?). Need a copy editor with over five years' experience in various publications and proofreading jobs and an MA in English? ;)

Feb 18, 2009
Hmmm...according to your test, I just might fit in quite nicely. But then there´s the question of competence. I can make coffee, but that´s about it.

Oh well, back to my games. Nice article, though.